Mac or PC ?

Search this Thread

Old 6/4/08, 12:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mac or PC ?

Some feel strongly about this issue, other couldn't care

1 for Apple Macintosh

Last edited by MR-STANG; 6/4/08 at 03:22 PM.
Old 6/4/08, 01:03 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well you know this just starts a huge debate (or argument depending on how you look at it). I have been working on computers since 1991. Been in the IT field since 95. Had to deal with every single Microsoft O/S so far. I bought an iMac 2 years ago. Since then I have purchased another iMac and a few months ago a the latest version of the Macbook Pro. All of which I got the best hardware options with them. I can honestly say that I have absolutely no reason to build another pc. Most of the software I have runs on the mac. In the odd case it doesn't, I just use Parallels to load up Windows XP (oh how I can't stand Vista) to do some work but that is about once a month at best. I am still stuck running windows at work just because I can't convince the department to replace the 300+ desktops we have with Apple computers. I figured I would tell that story because most people that are anti-mac are just people that have never used one. You can say all you want about me switching to the dark side, but it sure is nice over here
Old 6/4/08, 01:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started with the original Mac & Mac Plus! Own a IICI,IICX, PowerPC 7500, G3, G4 Quicksilver and now use an 8 Core Intel machine. So I would say I like Mac's. However I do love my PC's. I have an HP tower, HP Laptop and three homebuilt PC's. One's a gaming machine for games that aren't out for Mac. Today I can't see working without both for work and home.

Jed
Old 6/4/08, 01:11 PM
Retired Tms Staff

I'm surprised you don't just run Parallels for gaming on your 8 Core machine (I assume it is one heck of a Mac Pro).
Old 6/4/08, 01:21 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All the Mac guys feel pretty passionatly about the Macs so there must be something to it.

Me, my job requires me to work w/ PC's all day so I'm more comfortable with them. There's too many goofy things w/ Mac's for me - open apple this, open apple that, can't right click, etc... Maybe that's just my Dad's computer. If there's a way for them to operate more like a PC then I'd probably like it better.
Old 6/4/08, 01:27 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
All the Mac guys feel pretty passionatly about the Macs so there must be something to it.

Me, my job requires me to work w/ PC's all day so I'm more comfortable with them. There's too many goofy things w/ Mac's for me - open apple this, open apple that, can't right click, etc... Maybe that's just my Dad's computer. If there's a way for them to operate more like a PC then I'd probably like it better.
Actually you can right click. It is an option that you just enable and even though the mouse looks like 1 big button, it does have sensors for left and right mouse clicks. Not sure about the open apple this open apple that part. Only time I click on the Apple is to shutdown the system. Really no different than having to click on start on a pc to turn off the computer. Oh boy, sounds like I am already defending the mac doesn't it.
Old 6/4/08, 03:03 PM
The Man... keeping you down.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Graphics or Video Rendering - Mac
Games - PC
Office Productivity - Tie (Since M$ Office crossed over)
Servers - PC
Cell Phone - iPhone (Because no one else is even trying. Palm has a good offering in the W series, but it's buggy)
Old 6/4/08, 03:11 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Yeah I gotta go with Nathan on that.
Old 6/4/08, 03:19 PM
Cobra Member

I heard that the worst part of owning a mac is coming out of the closet

seriously though mac has some innovative products, but unfortunately for them their desire back in the eighties to keep their platform proprietary to apple rather than allow cloning pretty much killed their market share. I think their innovation and desire to make the users experience more intuitive is really the only thing they have going for them though. If they had the same market penetration that Microsoft did their OS would be tried and tested the same way by hackers and malicious code writers. Apple has had the luxury of being on the sidelines and taking advantage of the shortcomings of the windows OS in their marketing strategy.

bottom line is what do you do with your computer? If you are a serious gamer, or want a machine that is capable of doing some serious work (CAD, CAM, 3D modeling and simulation) get a pc. If you are a novice and are using the computer for everyday word processing, photo retouching, web surfing etc. a mac might be the ticket.

my 2 cents anyway.
Old 6/4/08, 03:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I havent used a mac since middle school...so i really couldnt make a educated desicion....I pic PC cause thats the only one I know I can use.
Old 6/4/08, 03:28 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I am not a computer guy, although I do use PC's at work and at home. I would love to use a mac I think it would work out for me, but everytime I go to buy one it costs more. I don't want to pay for the priviledge of owning a mac, but I am sick and tired of Micro$oft. I swear the next computer I get, which will probably be for the kids playroom upstairs will be a mac and from that point forward I'll decide based upon experience.

Also everytime I go to an Apple store to actually see a mac it looks like the annual meeting of the Berkeley Birkenstock Society for World Peace and Tree Hugging in there.
Old 6/4/08, 03:49 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Old 6/4/08, 04:06 PM
Cobra Member

lol...get a volvo, a mac, some birkenstocks, a membership to greenpeace, and some patchouli and move to california and get married...
Old 6/4/08, 04:13 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When I went to visit my friend at UC Berkeley, one of the defining attractions he showed me was "hey look Arin, people aren't in that tree" because a tree without hippies in it was a break from the norm
Old 6/4/08, 05:09 PM
GT Member

One more for Mac here.

I had been wanting an iMac for a few years, but I never had the money for my own computer until I was going to college last fall when I picked up one of the then-new aluminum iMacs along with the student discounts Apple does. Ever since that day, I've said I may never buy a PC again. With Parallels and Boot Camp, if I ever need Windows I can have my cake and eat it too.

I also got tired for running anti-virus scans every week for 3 hours, deleting hundreds of spyware files, and waiting about 5 minutes after I pressed the power button for the desktop to come on the screen. Mostly its my sister's fault with all her myspace usage and downloading 39 kinds of instant messenger programs and god knows how many "search" toolbars for IE.

I'm gonna try and get my parents a Mac Mini for christmas. Hopefully, I'll get no more calls from my parents to help them fix the computer.
Old 6/4/08, 05:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

one more mac user here, I have 3. They just work, period, the only times I have ever had to reboot a mac is when there is a software upgrade that requires it, no freeze ups, no problems period.
Old 6/4/08, 06:45 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm a PC guy by nature.. the last two jobs i had required me to use a mac and I felt them to be the playskool of computers. They were unstable and quirky and really painful to use and crashed all the time.

of course I'm also the same guy that has zero issues with Vista too
Old 6/4/08, 10:03 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
you arent the only one doug, I love vista, never had a problem with it, and it's easier than XP by far...I just like the PC interface a little better, maybe because that's what Im most used to, i just havent liked the macs that ive used
Old 6/4/08, 10:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The fact that OSX can run Windows is a huge plus on the mac side. The down side is that a comparable PC will cost half as much as a Mac. If you just do video/music/internet and aren't super tech savvy and don't care about cost then the Mac is probably the way to go.

I am just bitter at Apple because they out and out dropped the Apple // line when the Mac came out and I had a now unsupported Apple //gs that cost me a ton of cash! I have hated apple for screwing Apple // owners over since then. Actually, I have never purchased anything from apple since then and that was way back in what, 1989/90 or so? That made me switch to microsoft and windows and I have never looked back. BTW, I don't run Vista.

I hate to say that I am ready to pounce on the Iphone 2 though when it is released next week and I am full of shame!! SHAME!!!
Old 6/5/08, 01:43 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I Love PCs, and even though I know I'm going to be overwhelmed by Macs next year (art school) I'm going to continue to use them in my own time.

But the only thing I find strange here is you folk that haven't had vista troubles! I like vista well enough now that I've screwed with it to the point where it does what I want, but really? not one problem with Vista? I had a ton over the past yearish

Quick Reply: Mac or PC ?