Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Locked Out of my PC

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/08, 09:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Locked Out of my PC

So when I type in my pass word this is what I get , and the last time I used it was like 5 day's earlier and it worked,it it a fairly new pc and I didn't have a reset disc made if anyone knows of a way for me to get past this I will give $50.00 to that successful pc Guru
Attached Thumbnails Locked Out of my PC-dsc-w2000-009.jpg  
Old 7/30/08, 09:18 AM
The Man... keeping you down.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215/en-us

If you want to restore the original user profile that's a little more difficult.

EDIT: Before you delete the profile try booting into safe mode and using system restore to go back 7 days. To get to safe mode hit the F8 key repeatedly after the BIOS screen and you'll get a selection prompt.
Old 7/30/08, 09:25 AM

I was typing up step-by-step instructions for the profile save, but I found a link that has them detailed:

Vista Forums Tutorials
Old 7/30/08, 09:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'll try these Nathan Thanks but, I have that windows Live Care and no backups were done as yet and everything I do asks for pass word giving me that message I'll try your links posted and let you know. I may even have to toss in an Auto-art 1:18 tungsten grrrrrrr
Old 7/30/08, 09:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Sendero
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215/en-us

If you want to restore the original user profile that's a little more difficult.

EDIT: Before you delete the profile try booting into safe mode and using system restore to go back 7 days. To get to safe mode hit the F8 key repeatedly after the BIOS screen and you'll get a selection prompt.
no go here I get to change settings and asks for password Humm I'll try the safe mode boot
Old 7/30/08, 11:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

nothin
Old 7/30/08, 11:55 AM

Did you set an Administrator password?
Old 7/30/08, 12:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

can't even do that the only admin pass word was mine that gets the user profile services unavailable cannot even do the F8 safe boot Vista kinda sucks I'll do away for a while I think I have to get into the DOS prompt and change something there , I'll go clear my head a while.
Old 7/30/08, 01:16 PM

Yes, your regular user account was an admin, but there is also another user that is always created called "Administrator" that you should of been asked to create a password for. I say "should of been"; is this a name brand PC? What kind? Were you the only user on this PC?

Oh, and what's stopping you from getting into safe mode?
Old 7/30/08, 05:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

no luck I tried the admin nothing there were onlt two me & son I only had admin privlage I'll have to wait for the Mirgains to subside and try later down the road , if & when I do get in I will make a reset password disc I never knew that could be done until stuck in here.
Old 8/1/08, 11:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Still out but Microsoft tried to call me @ home today while I was at work , so hopefully a fewdays of phone tag I'll get it back, It's my kinda luck that I find or encounter a problem they'd not expect ! although right after it did the tune up & shut down that's where the problem started with Windows Live One Care it musta dumped something when it cleaned house.
Old 8/2/08, 08:39 AM
Cobra Member

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Take a look at this. Looks like you can install it on a USB thumbdrive and boot from that, then run http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

I've used the offline password editor tools at our work many times to reset local passwords. It works very well!

-danny
Old 8/4/08, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
Still out but Microsoft tried to call me @ home today while I was at work , so hopefully a fewdays of phone tag I'll get it back, It's my kinda luck that I find or encounter a problem they'd not expect ! although right after it did the tune up & shut down that's where the problem started with Windows Live One Care it musta dumped something when it cleaned house.
It probably corrupted the User Profile. If you can just get into Safe Mode I can help you fix the entire problem.

We you do get it fixed, create a user that no one will use, make it an Administrator, and set a strong password for it. Next time this happens you'll have a backdoor.
Old 8/4/08, 06:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

I can now get into safe mode I can change my password but that same F'n message profile services unavailable ugg. microsoft support are mental heads they call me when I'm @ work the message says call back or I do I'm sorry byt we are closed today 3 days now in a row

Last edited by GottaHaveIt; 8/4/08 at 06:28 PM.
Old 8/4/08, 06:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Sendero
It probably corrupted the User Profile. If you can just get into Safe Mode I can help you fix the entire problem.

We you do get it fixed, create a user that no one will use, make it an Administrator, and set a strong password for it. Next time this happens you'll have a backdoor.
oh yah I'll have a seperate back up key made now I know and I have a spare 300 gig drive for it's back up
Old 8/5/08, 08:17 AM

If you can get into safe mode, create another user and give it admin powers. Now boot in normal mode and log in as the user you just created. Once you're logged in, delete the profile of the user you cannot log in as then re-create it. You should be able to log in now.
Old 8/5/08, 11:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks Nathan I think I tried that now there are many options for safe mode so I picked one with networking ? and I think I tried this step already & think it still asks for a password Live One Care Support sucks they don't speak english and I had to letter by letter detail to that person this morning while remaining calm with an d end result as I'm not happy with them at all, so they feel that point from a nobody soom I'll make it my mission lol
I'll try these steps again should I be in any particular safe mode ?
Old 8/5/08, 11:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

No luck when I click on manage an account I just get a very fast blink & will not go there. even won't let me change my son's status to admin grrr I did tell Micro soft that I want a full refund to pay to get the support I don't get from them to fix my system . and am working on a letter to Bill while I'm mad
Old 8/5/08, 12:02 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know how you feel, I have an e-mail out to microsoft because whenever I try to update my computer, I get the 'windows genuine disadvantage' black screen telling me vista is pirated, yet when i run the WGA diagnostic tool, it tells me it is genuine; how can it be a valid and invalid version at the same time?!? my problem is apparently a common problem, but everything i have tried hasnt worked (various admin changes, patches, etc), and microsoft is sweeping the problem under the rug saying there are a few isolated occurances (i guess 12 million+ is isolated to them).

every 'fix' mentioned above, I would have suggested too. the only other thing i can think of is, if you have internet access on that computer (hopefully 'safe mode with networking' will work), download the WGA diagnostic tool (go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012) and search for mismatched files (while running the diagnostic tool, hit 'continue' and after it runs, hit copy and paste it into 'notebook', mismatched files are located towards the bottom under 'file scan data-->' section). if there are mismatched files, look for solutions on fixing those files.

good luck

Last edited by Xeno; 8/5/08 at 12:04 PM.
Old 8/5/08, 01:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

What do I have to loose if I don't get it today I'll take it in somewhere and submit Microsoft the bill

Quick Reply: Locked Out of my PC