Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

I need a job

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/13, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need a job

Hi, everybody. My name is Alex, I'm 17. My family is moving into a nice big house but this can only be done if I can get a job to help pay for my Stang, insurance, and the mortgage. I have applied to Costco but I haven't gotten a response. I applied for a position as a tire sales assistant because I must have changed 1000 tires in my autos class when I was in high school and they pay $15 per hour. It would be a good-paying job I can do very easily. But time is money and we don't get the house if we can't raise $10k in two months. We're doing good so far but there is a risk of things not going as planned. I need to apply for more jobs, and that's why I'm here.

You see, this would be my first job. I can't rely on my Costco applications alone. I need a full-time job that makes about as much money so I can apply to that, too. Problem is I'm just a high-school graduate, I'm 17 years old, and I have absolutely no work experience. I don't even start going to UTI until this fall.

So where can I find a good job?
Old 4/3/13, 11:04 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
fast food would eb a better bet. Costco seems to hire older people in my area.
Old 4/3/13, 11:10 AM
Banned

But they pay very little.
Old 4/3/13, 11:16 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Casarez2125
But they pay very little.
Welcome to the working world.

Why should you expect to get a high-paying job with no experience and no higher education? Work your way up to a better position. Besides, they will pay you more to schlep grease fries than you'll make sitting on your butt...
Old 4/3/13, 11:18 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

you are silly to think that you are going to walk into a $15 an hour job when you are 17 and just out of high school. You are going up against people that have many years of doing that job and maybe extra schooling.

I have never heard of parents making it a child worry about the house they are getting. If they can not afford the house without you they simple cannot afford it and look into more responsible options.
Old 4/3/13, 11:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flagstang
I have never heard of parents making it a child worry about the house they are getting. If they can not afford the house without you they simple cannot afford it and look into more responsible options.
Just for the down payment.
Old 4/3/13, 11:21 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm betting he needs a job to keep his car
Old 4/3/13, 11:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by McNassty
I'm betting he needs a job to keep his car
I got it under the condition I would help pay for it. I accepted and now I'm the only one of my group of friends with a Mustang.
Old 4/3/13, 11:27 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Just for the down payment.
thats part of affording a home. I bought my first home last june and I couldnt buy the 450k monthser dream home because it was not in budget.
Old 4/3/13, 11:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 779 Likes on 568 Posts
What Flagstang and Nassty said!! When you do apply for jobs make sure you talk to a manager or human resourse person. Don't just hand your ap in to anyone. Show your face. If you know your way around a tire machine I would pursue that as much as possible. Apply, show your face, then show your face a few days to a week later. reapply in two weeks. Check out menards, home depot local grocery stores over nught shifts usally pay a little more.
Old 4/3/13, 11:28 AM
Banned

And the reason I expect at least $10 per hour is because I'm not some dim-wit figuring out how to do a job. I graduated high school with high honors, and for god's sakes, I can use the tire machine.
Old 4/3/13, 11:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I read, it seems his parents want him to start paying for his car ( payments, insurance ....) so they'll have some more money so they can get their new house.

As for the OP, ask your friends (that have jobs) if they are hiring where they work. That's how I got my first job. As for pay, don't expect anything over $10 hr from your first job.
Old 4/3/13, 11:29 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I got it under the condition I would help pay for it. I accepted and now I'm the only one of my group of friends with a Mustang.
It was bad to get the car before the job.
Old 4/3/13, 11:33 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

And the reason I expect at least $10 per hour is because I'm not some dim-wit figuring out how to do a job. I graduated high school with high honors, and for god's sakes, I can use the tire machine.
I know many people with Masters and engineering degrees from good schools(5-8 year degress) that cannot find jobs. Keep in mind they will have people applying that have worked a tire machine for years and years and years.

I do not think anyone is saying you are dumb or lacking. The real world is harder then you think. The company you apply for is going to look at you and the guy with 5 years and go with the one that will do the best from day one.
Old 4/3/13, 11:34 AM
Banned

It was bad to get the car before the job.
We weren't planning on getting a house back then. But we're sick of tiny apartment. It's not like everything rests on my shoulders, but another source of income would be nice. What's done is done. I need a job.
Old 4/3/13, 11:37 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Have you gone down to the unemployment office?? I would call some temp agencies. Go to the mall and apply at every place they have openings.
Mach 1 Member

I also need a job but I'm a college grad
Banned

I know many people with Masters and engineering degrees from good schools(5-8 year degress) that cannot find jobs. Keep in mind they will have people applying that have worked a tire machine for years and years and years.

I do not think anyone is saying you are dumb or lacking. The real world is harder then you think. The company you apply for is going to look at you and the guy with 5 years and go with the one that will do the best from day one.
Which is why I came here. Not to ask if it's possible for me to get a decently paying job, but to find out what kinds of jobs pay the most for somebody like me so that I may apply. It doesn't hurt to try.

I could easily get hired at Taco Bell or something and make close to nothing, but for now I want to burn through all options.
Old 4/3/13, 11:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Have you ever had a job?
Old 4/3/13, 11:43 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

like I said apply at fast food. Its can pay well once you start moving up. Had a friend that was a night manager at mc'ds and pulled in mid 30k a year.

Quick Reply: I need a job