Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

I can't believe this is where my tax dollars are going

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/09, 02:12 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe this is where my tax dollars are going

Interesting thing happened to my mom today.

Some idiot run a red light and hit Fusion a little but. Not much, but both grille and front bumper are damaged and license plate was broken. So she calls cops to report hit and run. Cops tells her that somebody is on the way. Times goes by, cops don't show. She calls again. 911 operator tells her the same story. She keeps waiting, cops don't show up again. She calls for the third time (by this time she's been waiting for over 2 hours) and this time 911 operator tells her that there are no cops in the area (which is a lie, I pass that area every day and there are plenty of cops there) and that my mom needs to come to the specific police station. OK, she goes there, and at the police station they tell her that there is no record of anyone calling about the accident. So some idiot who couldn't care less (based on things he said) just wrote a report and tells my mom that's all they can do.
Cops in Milwaukee are a$$holes. I'm sorry (actually, I'm not, that's the nicest thing I can say about them at this moment), but that's how I feel about them. I guess they care the most about writing tickets than to actually help people.

Old 1/2/09, 02:21 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
That's sad man. I bet that happens alot everywhere not just Wisconsin.

I got rear ended in a hit and run. A guy in a Chevy Lumina runs up under the back of my old Ranger, then panics and leaves the scene. I follow him and he pulls into a local bar parking lot. I call the cops, the guy is the bar manager, and the cops do nothing at all. They claim I was on private property when I wasn't I was in the center left turn lane of a major street. So the cops do nothing. And my bumper remained jacked-up till I sold the car.

Sadly 6 weeks later the guy that hit me died in a car wreck. He was drunk and hit a parked train at 80mph. He was probably drunk the night he hit me, and the cops doing something about it might have actually saved the guys life.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 1/2/09 at 02:31 PM.
Old 1/2/09, 02:30 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

And by doing this cops pretty much encourage hit and run.

And then they have a nerve to call me and ask me for a donation ...
Old 1/2/09, 02:32 PM
Post *****

It's true. The guy that hit your mom can just keep doing it over and over again and probably has. Who knows.
Old 1/2/09, 02:40 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
that sucks major *****

sorry to hear and see this happen to you man
Old 1/2/09, 02:48 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Any suggestions if I should report this to insurance? I have $500 deductible and I don't think repairs would be higher than that (I'm planing to take it tomorrow to Ford's dealer where I bought it).
Old 1/2/09, 02:50 PM
Post *****

I have no idea. Stupid freakin' hit and run a$$hole. ##*&%^$#@( that pi$$e$ me off.
Old 1/2/09, 02:56 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I'm mad at the driver, but I'm more mad because cops didn't show up and refused to do their work.
Old 1/2/09, 02:58 PM
Post *****

Maybe Dunkin Donuts was having a 1/2 price sale.
Old 1/2/09, 03:05 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Old 1/2/09, 03:52 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
^haha

I'm sorry about that man, that's so rediculous. The cops around here arent so bad, but that would get me pretty angry,there's just no excuse for not even having a record of it.
Old 1/2/09, 08:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What do you think they should do other than the accident report? Do you think it's not going to be investigated now? The accident report is the first step.

I don't know what to tell ya about it taking so long and then saying they have no record of it.
Old 1/2/09, 08:34 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

They should show at the place of accident instead of lying to my mom that they're coming and then, after my mom waited for over 2 hours, telling her that she needs to come to the police station.
Old 1/2/09, 09:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Ok, as a rational person and the brother of a cop and the brother in law of a cop (both HPD), you are all going *way* off the path of decent reasonableness. I'm rather offended, and I'm not even involved, nor an officer. Stop pointing blame at the police for your situation. I have some rather large holes to point out:

1) It is too late, the guy has gone, hasn't he? No where in any of these tales do I see the words "I got the license plate number." That's a basic. If you don't have that... exactly what do you expect the cops to do? Show up and say "Hey, yeah, look at that, your bumper is messed up. Neat. Here's the report, can you fill it out or do you want to tell me what to put on it?" You may be surprised when they actually find you at fault, by the way, because of an obvious thing or two that in your ruffled state you might not have guessed would be factors, by the way.

2) As there are likely any number of 1s, 2s, and 3s that supersede your little fender bender (which is a priority 4), you can expect low priority. Unless, of course, you are blocking a lane of travel, in which case, yes, you can expect prompt action... and a ticket in this case for not moving the vehicle (in Houston. Steer it? Clear it.)

3) The police *do not* have to be on scene to have *you* file a report. That's all it is. A report. Nothing more. Unless an official investigation is warranted (in this case, it would not) you are simply making sure YOU FILE YOUR CLAIM to the way things were. This covers YOUR butt. Let us say you do not file the report. You are making a mistake that the *other guy* might capitalize on. He might file a report, and he may have gotten your license. In this case, you now have no legal grounds to argue about. And no police are required for this, just a station to take the report that you make.

4) Again, where's the license plate number? First thing I get is that now if I get in a wreck. If possible... I'm going to grant the possibility that it couldn't be gotten... dunno the exact circumstances. But if it could be seen, but wasn't gotten... you've left yourself no real avenues. Might as well been a tree that leaped out in front of you, bit your car, then leaped back into the forest. With the plate number, that at least gives me an avenue of 'attack' if you will, so that the other guy can't really 'run' from the incident, can he?

So stop it, please, with bashing cops. Yes there are bad ones, but there are good ones. The 10% bad ones give the 90% good ones the bad name... it sucks. They're not the bad guys nor at fault here.

I can, however, say that dispatch was stupid. That I have no problem with. They send the officers from one end of the beat all the way across when someone else is nearer and available. I know, I've done ridealong... I'll never understand that... They actually know where in the beat these guys are (or should be.) and still do that.

I hate the whole "police suck" bit for my brother and brother in law. Good guys. I wouldn't say it if it weren't true, I don't do that. Matter of fact, it's my opinion that my brother should be a Chief, except he's not a brown nosing politically inclined office chaser. No, he's just an excellent police officer, and *wants* to be.

Anyway, I just could not let all this bashing go by the wayside, I care too much, and to be honest with you, your mom screwed up. Prove me wrong, and I'll take it back, but that's my take on this.

/BTW, any motorcyclist who's worth their salt will tell you that all wrecks are your own fault, 99% of the time. You should be looking at *everything*. If you are, you see things... *anticipate* things. Like that woman pulling out of the store with her cellphone in her hand talking backwards at her kid and driving one handed. //What, you didn't see all that? Hm. I did.
///And yes, I'm that good. If I may say so.
////Need another ride now... sigh.
Old 1/2/09, 09:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I should point out that in Gary's case... yeah, that was some really dumb thing that happened. I don't know why they'd say what they said about your being in one place and not where you said you were. :shrug:

However, the drunk bar manager did himself in. I hope he was the only one in the vehicle and there wasn't anyone else involved. I don't really think the cops would have stopped that anyway. Some people are just destined to be screwed up. A bar manager not driving? Right. I'm sure he's (well, he was) arrogant enough that he'd probably just get another vehicle and drive anyway should they have taken his car and license.

One more thing, y'all, on the overall subject. If they save your life one day, are the cops still jerks overall?

/stirring, stirring...
Old 1/2/09, 10:05 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by houtex
Ok, as a rational person and the brother of a cop and the brother in law of a cop (both HPD), you are all going *way* off the path of decent reasonableness. I'm rather offended, and I'm not even involved, nor an officer. Stop pointing blame at the police for your situation. I have some rather large holes to point out:

1) It is too late, the guy has gone, hasn't he? No where in any of these tales do I see the words "I got the license plate number." That's a basic. If you don't have that... exactly what do you expect the cops to do? Show up and say "Hey, yeah, look at that, your bumper is messed up. Neat. Here's the report, can you fill it out or do you want to tell me what to put on it?" You may be surprised when they actually find you at fault, by the way, because of an obvious thing or two that in your ruffled state you might not have guessed would be factors, by the way.

2) As there are likely any number of 1s, 2s, and 3s that supersede your little fender bender (which is a priority 4), you can expect low priority. Unless, of course, you are blocking a lane of travel, in which case, yes, you can expect prompt action... and a ticket in this case for not moving the vehicle (in Houston. Steer it? Clear it.)

3) The police *do not* have to be on scene to have *you* file a report. That's all it is. A report. Nothing more. Unless an official investigation is warranted (in this case, it would not) you are simply making sure YOU FILE YOUR CLAIM to the way things were. This covers YOUR butt. Let us say you do not file the report. You are making a mistake that the *other guy* might capitalize on. He might file a report, and he may have gotten your license. In this case, you now have no legal grounds to argue about. And no police are required for this, just a station to take the report that you make.

4) Again, where's the license plate number? First thing I get is that now if I get in a wreck. If possible... I'm going to grant the possibility that it couldn't be gotten... dunno the exact circumstances. But if it could be seen, but wasn't gotten... you've left yourself no real avenues. Might as well been a tree that leaped out in front of you, bit your car, then leaped back into the forest. With the plate number, that at least gives me an avenue of 'attack' if you will, so that the other guy can't really 'run' from the incident, can he?

So stop it, please, with bashing cops. Yes there are bad ones, but there are good ones. The 10% bad ones give the 90% good ones the bad name... it sucks. They're not the bad guys nor at fault here.

I can, however, say that dispatch was stupid. That I have no problem with. They send the officers from one end of the beat all the way across when someone else is nearer and available. I know, I've done ridealong... I'll never understand that... They actually know where in the beat these guys are (or should be.) and still do that.

I hate the whole "police suck" bit for my brother and brother in law. Good guys. I wouldn't say it if it weren't true, I don't do that. Matter of fact, it's my opinion that my brother should be a Chief, except he's not a brown nosing politically inclined office chaser. No, he's just an excellent police officer, and *wants* to be.

Anyway, I just could not let all this bashing go by the wayside, I care too much, and to be honest with you, your mom screwed up. Prove me wrong, and I'll take it back, but that's my take on this.

/BTW, any motorcyclist who's worth their salt will tell you that all wrecks are your own fault, 99% of the time. You should be looking at *everything*. If you are, you see things... *anticipate* things. Like that woman pulling out of the store with her cellphone in her hand talking backwards at her kid and driving one handed. //What, you didn't see all that? Hm. I did.
///And yes, I'm that good. If I may say so.
////Need another ride now... sigh.
Again, the thing that bothers me the most is that 911 operator told my mom twice that police is on their way. And after my mom waited for them for over 2 hours (at the same place where accident happened) they (911 operator) told her that she needs to come to the police station. When she came to the police station they told her that they don't have any record of anyone ever making those phone calls (3 phone calls).
How do you expect me not to be mad? Should I be happy about this whole situation?
And I wasn't talking about all cops, just those in Milwaukee area, because they really do suck. They are able to come right to my house when some old guy reported my brother that he cut him off in a traffic, but they're unable to come to the downtown area when there is hit and run?

Last edited by Zastava_101; 1/2/09 at 10:07 PM.
Old 1/2/09, 10:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Milwaukee Cops don't work traffic

Back in 2006 I was involved in an accident in Milwaukee with my Mustang. The cops only responded because they were freinds with the woman who hit my car. Unless injuries are involved, they will not show up at an accident scene.

Apparently they don't arrest serial killers or stop mass beatings either.
Old 1/2/09, 10:50 PM
Post *****

Houtex,

I will admit my case was very rare. I tried my best. I had the guys plates, car make, where he was at the time the police showed up, stood there and told them exactly where it happened and everything. The only thing I could have done different was ask for shift supervisor or something I guess. His Lumina went up under my bumper and I was miffed but his car got the worst by far. I have always repsected cops and didn't feel like making a huge deal about my situation to someone who basically tried every argument they could to keep me from filing a report. I tried and tried, but from the drift I was getting it was useless or to my detriment to try anymore. Maybe they were related, maybe they didn't want to do the work, I'll never know, but I was not injured so I let it go, always feeling in the back of my mind it was incredibly weird how 2 officers succeeded in keeping me from filing a report. Private property my ****.

In my defense the donut shot was a joke. A stereotype, but a joke nonetheless. And I have a brother-in-law who is a Texas State Trooper working highway patrol in Sinton and Refugio on highway 77. The drug expressway. I have the utmost repsect for them and for the risk he takes everyday and the horror stories he tells me. All that for less money than they pay my wife as a teacher.

I agree the dispatcher was an idiot. And should have informed Zoran's mom better, especially if Milwaukee police do not respond to non-injury related traffic accidents as a matter of policy. That's not the policemans fault, thats the department and the dispatcher for not informing Zoran's mom.

Thanks for making your point houtex and allowing me to clear up mine.
Old 1/2/09, 11:36 PM
Cobra Member

Sorry to hear about your Moms car. Jerks. And they want to know why we've become ambivalent towards them. Around hear as someone stated earlier if the damage is minimal and no injuries are involved they usually don't respond. I feel though hit and run should be treated differently though.

YOu are still out $500 and many hours spent to boot getting estimates and doing without the use of car rental costs etc.
Have you spoken to your insurance agent, maybe using the uninsured motorist clause? I know there is a deductible but if your mom has no infractions, it won't cost her this time around and you have rental car too.
Just some ideas.
Way to ring in the New Year ,eh?
Old 1/3/09, 12:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Zoran, I agree with you, the department/dispatch is messed up in this case.

Gary, I'm glad to have seen the second post, good stuff.

Oh, and here in HPD land, donuts have their place, but House of Pies is where it's at.

Quick Reply: I can't believe this is where my tax dollars are going