Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

I am a PC.....

Search this Thread

Old 9/24/08, 11:38 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I'm cheap too. I always think I want a Mac, but when it comes down to it I always buy a pc for less. Between work and home I've got 3 laptops and 5 desktops. Sometimes they crash and give me heck, I get mad at Microsoft, but I live with it, and the money is still better off in my pocket.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 9/24/08 at 11:41 AM.
Old 9/24/08, 11:46 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I keep hearing how Vista sucks, but I like it. I built my Media Center machine with a Q9450 quad core, Asus Striker MB, 2 gig ram, 4.5 terrabyte drive space, 4 TV tuners (which explains 4.5 terrabyte), and a Gforce 8800 GTB 512. It ran stable until SP1 and the Vista TV Pack 2008 was installed. That brought on a few issues with coming out of sleep mode, but otherwise I can't complain about it. Yet.
Old 9/24/08, 11:47 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
a mac is fine for most people. I custom build my pcs and tweak them change out the components and love the customization and upgrade ability of a pc. When i see these macs for like $2000 bucks i look at the specs and am like, i can go build a pc for $500 with the same specs. Like Gary said, i am a cheap bastard, but i don't consider that being cheap i see it as being smart with my money.
You are not cheap. You are frivalous I only ever built custom systems. No way would I go to the store and buy an HP, Compaq, etc etc. The funny part about switching to a mac is I have no reason to swap out/upgrade parts. My friends would laugh at me when I built custom systems because I would run them for about a month and then sell them at a loss, to build something better, faster. Eventually I got to the point where I had bought a mac for testing but found that I stopped using Windows (at home). I use it for everything I do, including gaming (COD4 rocks) and I am using a macbook pro.
Old 9/24/08, 11:48 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs

PEBKAC?
Problem
Exists
Between
Keyboard
And
Chair
Old 9/24/08, 12:08 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I prefer Picnic errors.

Problem
In
Chair
Not
In
Computer
Old 9/26/08, 10:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by adrenalin
My problem with it is the fact that I have been working on computers since 1986 and Windows since Windows 3.1. I am not the typical user that is only interested in checking mail and surfing the net. However, since I am a tech, not only do I deal with the problems that creep up on my machine (which I no longer use) but constant calls from clients so I know of most of the issues with the Windows O/S'. Vista, as it stands right now, has more issues than XP but not as many problems as when Millenium was released. Now, I use to tell people that Mac's sucked, because they did. Anything before OS X was pretty sad, but they did work. OS X Tiger and Leopard are pretty rock solid. I have had 3 mac's in the past 2 1/2 years (upgraded each time) and family members currently own my previous ones. Out of this time only twice have I ever had a problem where the OS stopped responding and the machine rebooted. I surely cannot say that about any Windows O/S.....ever. Each O/S has is plus and cons, but for stability, I would say Mac wins hands down.
That is exactly how I went about the switch. I'm a tech and on a help desk and in IT in general for almost 20 years. Built my PCs for many many years. I got tired of dealing with MS OS blunders, problems, creep and all the other issues that comes with Windows. Went mac in 2004 cold-turkey, copied off data and that's it. I haven't been happier and I have had so few problems, errors, reboots...etc that there is no way I'd go back.

Haven't played with Vista and won't allow mom & dad to upgrade to it. I will with luck move them to OS X.

Originally Posted by Scothew
I prefer Picnic errors.

Problem
In
Chair
Not
In
Computer
I haven't seen that one before. Great !

My current favorite is:

SELECT * FROM Users WHERE clue >0

0 rows returned

Old 9/27/08, 12:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I am one with the PC. To much time with the PC.