Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Hurricanes!

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/05, 02:00 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dennis is coming........Just like Ivan. I live 3 hours from the coast for a reason....But we are gonna get it again just like my 25 hours of boredom last September.....
I'm so excited, I just can't hide it.
http://www.al.com/newsflash/hurricane/inde...st=al_hurricane

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hurricane...ic&storm=Dennis
Old 7/7/05, 02:32 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, so you are saying living 5 miles from the coast is a bad idea?

Old 7/7/05, 02:37 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
batten down the hatches Holder!

Btw, april you live a tad more than 3 hours from the coast but thats me just being picky.
Old 7/7/05, 02:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

1 and a half hours from the coast of MS here I think we will miss the most of it. Unless it shifts --- which they tend to do.

We have been due for a hurricane, FL unfortunately took them all last year..... Guess it just made us "lucky" but I just dont feel right about saying that. I have family and friends in FL, and they are still devasted and some homes still have Blue tarps for roofing. As we drove to Panama City the other day, we saw quite a few.

its sad & scary

Old 7/7/05, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Scothew@July 7, 2005, 2:40 PM

Btw, april you live a tad more than 3 hours from the coast but thats me just being picky.
I am actually flying out this weekend on a business trip, only problem is the Mustang being parked at the airport, well, I guess that's why you have insurance. It's getting kind of tiresome, this will make 3 of the first 4 storms hitting this area.
Just heard that Dennis is now a major hurricane.
Old 7/7/05, 03:03 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Good luck guys!
this Hurricane season is going to be bad, oh so I hear
Old 7/7/05, 04:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Heck Cindy just now passed me and it has rained for about 10 hours. Everything around here was flooded and we even had a few twisters in neighboring counties. Im hoping Denis misses us.

OH yeah Cindy also wiped out half of my grandpa's and uncle's crops (thanks to the creeks).
Old 7/7/05, 05:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Geez not more :bang: One of my uncle's lives right outside of Sarasota. He lost his pool cage and 3/4 of his roof last summer and his whole property was all messed up. He just finished getting everything repaired a few months ago and now more.

I hope your car fares well Holder
Old 7/7/05, 05:37 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Hurricanes sock.
Old 7/7/05, 05:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@July 7, 2005, 7:40 PM
Hurricanes sock.
Simply, yet eliquintley put
Old 7/7/05, 07:25 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by Scothew@July 7, 2005, 2:40 PM

You must drive slow......
Old 7/7/05, 07:27 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@July 7, 2005, 7:47 PM
Simply, yet eliquintley put
You have learned well... Grasshopper!!! :worship:

Old 7/7/05, 07:30 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I freaking hate them.
Yesterday was an excercise in misery due to the monsoons

And now I have to worry about losing power- a total MISERY for all of us. No tv and no computer make me go something something.

Not to mention every rainy day delays my house construction another day.
Old 7/7/05, 08:29 PM
Cobra Member

You guys down there need a break. Maybe move to Kansas! Oh, sorry Dorothy.

And yes, I live in shake, rattle and roll country.

Seriously, I hope you are all OK.
Old 7/7/05, 08:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok little weird there. The plot across TN is like right where I live. Oh well. I guess we'll just ride it out. Good luck to all of you in the path of it. Stay safe.
Old 7/7/05, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by kerafaith@July 7, 2005, 8:41 PM
Ok little weird there. The plot across TN is like right where I live. Oh well. I guess we'll just ride it out. Good luck to all of you in the path of it. Stay safe.
Hmm, the plot goes right over where I live too, trade ya, j/k. Ah, we had Ivan the Terrible last year, sounds more intimidating than Dennis the Menace. I wonder if I will have power when I get back next Friday. Went without power for about 8-9 days and cable for almost 2 weeks after Ivan.
Old 7/7/05, 11:34 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I could totally throw a hurricane party....

MMMM Hurricanes......

Crap- I have to drive to Atlanta in it Monday!
I better have electricity when I get home!
Old 7/8/05, 06:22 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by holderca1@July 7, 2005, 10:11 PM
Hmm, the plot goes right over where I live too, trade ya

That had me laughing so hard when I read it. Not sure why, but it was funny.
Old 7/8/05, 07:41 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

We are all gonna get wet before its over...I just heard its a 4.
And do you have any idea what massive skill it takes to keep Ellie from fishtailing in the rain? I have to drive 360 miles in that mess.
Old 7/8/05, 07:55 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Hurricane Dennis gains strength, with winds at 135 mph
Weather experts see Dennis inching more toward Pensacola than Mobile with Sunday landfall, but warn it's far too early for Alabama to relax
Friday, July 08, 2005
By JEFF AMY
Staff Reporter
Hurricane Dennis, blamed for at least five deaths in Haiti, exploded into a Category 4 storm Thursday and bore down on the southern coast of Cuba with winds of 135 mph on a track that could take it ashore in the northeast Gulf of Mexico by the weekend.

The storm was expected to weaken somewhat as it crossed Cuba, then regain strength as it entered the Gulf.

Forecast storm tracks were revised to the east during the day Thursday by the National Hurricane Center and the National Weather Service, with the bull's-eye shifting from Mobile Bay to a point in the Florida Panhandle east of Pensacola.

Despite the eastward jog, forecasters and officials warned it was too early for Alabamians to let down their guard, urging people to make storm preparations and evacuate coastal areas.

Dennis killed one in Haiti and also lashed Jamaica before steaming toward Cuba. It was expected to cross central Cuba and pop into the Gulf of Mexico by early Saturday.

At 10 p.m. Thursday, the Hurricane Center placed Dennis near latitude 19.9 north, longitude 77.6 west, about 105 miles south of Camaguey, Cuba, with maximum sustained winds of 135 mph. The Category 4 storm was moving to the northwest at 15 mph.

Destination remains unclear:

Because Dennis remained so far away, where it might hit the Gulf Coast was still highly uncertain. Late Thursday, forecasters said the storm could still hit anywhere from west of the mouth of the Mississippi River to somewhere on Florida's west coast. The highest probabilities for landfall on Sunday, however, were along the Gulf Coast from Gulfport to Apalachicola, Fla., according to Hurricane Center projections.

Awakening to a cool, clear southwest Alabama morning Thursday, courtesy of the rain and wind of just departed Tropical Storm Cindy, residents set out to stock up, and officials began making plans for shelters and evacuations.

"With the ferocity of Hurricane Ivan still fresh in our memories, all Alabamians understand how important it is to be ready as early as possible," Gov. Bob Riley said. "I'm encouraging all residents along our coast to take general storm precautions now to avoid a rush later."

Baldwin County officials issued a voluntary evacuation order for residents and visitors staying in beachfront homes, easily flooded areas, mobile home parks or campgrounds. Bruce Baughman, director of the Alabama Emergency Management Agency, said voluntary evacuations for parts of Mobile County could follow today.

State officials will decide by 4 p.m. this afternoon whether they will reverse the southbound lanes of Interstate 65 between Stockton and Montgomery to ease refugee traffic, said Cpl. Spencer Collier, an Alabama State Trooper spokesman in Mobile. The reversal could begin as early as 8 a.m. Saturday, Collier said.

number of people were heeding the advice to make getaway plans. Clay Ingram, spokesman for AAA Alabama said Thursday that many were making hotel reservations inland so they would have a place if forced to flee. By 4 p.m. Thursday, hotels in Montgomery were already booked solid for the weekend, and AAA travel agents were directing people farther north to Birmingham and Tuscaloosa.

"Some people say I don't care, just get me out of here, find me something," Ingram said.

He said most rooms in Mississippi also were booked. During Ivan, travel agents were sending refugees as far north as Tennessee.

Many residents looked wearily at the prospect of another storm, less than a year after Ivan and only days after Cindy.