Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

How Dumb Are These Pirates?!

Search this Thread

Old 11/25/08, 07:49 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
That was being overtaken by somolian pirates. If they truely acted in defense on being fired upon, still did the right thing in my eyes. Sad for the crew of the ship though that was not part of the agressive.
Old 11/25/08, 08:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 1999Pony
They are certainly getting gusty. Their first big hijack was the ship carrying Russian military weapons and now they take a oil tanker. Somehow I think they aren't going to last much longer.
maybe they were not affraid if they had Nikes & thought they could use as a threat but thats a big if.
Old 11/25/08, 09:14 AM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
What ever happened to that ship full of tanks???

In related news and an example of how WORTHLESS the United Nations is....they passed sanctions on the pirates! What the hell?!?! Sanctions on a group of criminals who follow no law?!??! They can sugar coat it all they want but these people don't care about "Sanctions"...there is no government and they will do what they want. The only thing they will understand is if EVERY pirate ship is sunken and the pirates on board killed.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...-9eeQD94J0M7O0
Old 11/25/08, 09:21 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
that's bs, what's the UN going to do about it, if they dont follow the sanctions?
Old 11/25/08, 04:44 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by svopaul
What ever happened to that ship full of tanks???

In related news and an example of how WORTHLESS the United Nations is....they passed sanctions on the pirates! What the hell?!?! Sanctions on a group of criminals who follow no law?!??! They can sugar coat it all they want but these people don't care about "Sanctions"...there is no government and they will do what they want. The only thing they will understand is if EVERY pirate ship is sunken and the pirates on board killed.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...-9eeQD94J0M7O0
Well, to be fair, that sanction resolution isn't intended to do much by itself. It's a necessary adminstrative formality that legally paves the way and sets up the framework to approve more proactive steps, such as >>

The United States circulated a draft resolution Thursday afternoon that would extend the authorization for countries to pursue pirates in Somalia's territorial waters and use "all necessary means to repress acts of piracy and armed robbery at sea." That is the same wording in the current mandate which expires on Dec. 2 and would be extended for a year.

And I don't agree that the United Nations in its entirety is worthless. True, it has trouble settling conflicts between nation states, but many of its branches do very good and necessary work.
Old 11/25/08, 04:54 PM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Well, to be fair, that sanction resolution isn't intended to do much by itself. It's a necessary adminstrative formality that legally paves the way and sets up the framework to approve more proactive steps, such as >>

The United States circulated a draft resolution Thursday afternoon that would extend the authorization for countries to pursue pirates in Somalia's territorial waters and use "all necessary means to repress acts of piracy and armed robbery at sea." That is the same wording in the current mandate which expires on Dec. 2 and would be extended for a year.
They can call it what they want....but in reality it's a B.S. Bureaucratic waste of time to deem something OK that anyone with a hint of common sense already knows should be allowed. You shouldn't need to get together for approval for something as basic as this!

And I don't agree that the United Nations in its entirety is worthless. True, it has trouble settling conflicts between nation states, but many of its branches do very good and necessary work.
There may be a TINY part that does good but by large the UN is impotent and too slow to respond to real emergencies and issues. The UN also has no teeth.....all they do is similar to smacking the hand and say "don't do that" when it comes to violations of their sanctions.
Old 11/25/08, 08:24 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They can call it what they want....but in reality it's a B.S. Bureaucratic waste of time to deem something OK that anyone with a hint of common sense already knows should be allowed. You shouldn't need to get together for approval for something as basic as this!
You can level that same charge at ALL bureaucracy, frankly. It sucks, but it's the way it is. That's life.

My own feeling is that any country with naval power that happens upon these pirates should just declare open season on them, since they're operating as "free agents" in international waters anyway. "Oh, did we sink your pirate ship? Oops, sorry about that."

There may be a TINY part that does good but by large the UN is impotent and too slow to respond to real emergencies and issues. The UN also has no teeth.....all they do is similar to smacking the hand and say "don't do that" when it comes to violations of their sanctions.
It only has as much teeth as member nations will allow. The security council needs to be revamped, that much I'll definitely agree with.
Old 11/25/08, 09:06 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I should clearly quit school and go hunt Somalian pirates for the rest of my life
Old 11/26/08, 06:37 AM
Service Manager

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
You can level that same charge at ALL bureaucracy, frankly. It sucks, but it's the way it is. That's life.
That kind of attitude/mentality is why it is the way it is and difficult to change. Apathy is king.

My own feeling is that any country with naval power that happens upon these pirates should just declare open season on them, since they're operating as "free agents" in international waters anyway. "Oh, did we sink your pirate ship? Oops, sorry about that."
We agree 150% on that!!!

It only has as much teeth as member nations will allow. The security council needs to be revamped, that much I'll definitely agree with.
Exactly which is why the UN is like a 101 year old man gumming a steak.....they can taste the flavor but they make very little progress and cannot get the job done.
Old 11/26/08, 07:30 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Do I need to move this to the political section?
Old 11/26/08, 08:47 AM
Service Manager

Nah......not yet anyway