Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

How do I create a pdf?

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/06, 06:24 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I have some documents I need to post online where other people will be downloading them. The website uses Adobe Acrobat, but all I've ever used Acrobat for is looking at pdf's, never creating them.

Anyone have any experience with Acrobat?
Old 1/23/06, 06:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need a program that can create PDFs. Adobe's product is not free (only the viewer is). Assuming you do not own Adobe Acrobat (The Writer version) I highly recommend PDF995 It's free, does a great job of creating PDFs (I use it along with the Adobe product, as PDF995 is better at some things), and does not apend anything to the PDF (Some "free" PDF programs add an "Ad" to the PDF. PDF995 DOES have a small pop-up that pops up only after you have created a PDF, but it is a small incovienance considering it is free (and it is relatively cheap if you don't want the ad). Both adobe and PDF995 basically create a printer that you print to which then prompts you for a location to save the PDF.
Old 1/23/06, 06:35 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You've probably used Adobe Acrobat READER.

Acrobat can create PDF's, and also has a "printer" that allows you to "print" to a PDF from Word, or whatever it is you are printing from. Acrobat can be kinda pricey.

There are also (I believe) freeware programs out there that can do similiar things. Hope that kinda helps.
Edit: DOH! See above, everything I said, but better.
Old 1/23/06, 08:05 PM

Thanks, Mike & Jeffrey. This is actually for work. So as long as it's not incredibley expensive, I can buy the Adobe Acrobat software. I'm just not sure what to get.

Here's the only thing I'll need it for. On our website, (www.alatruck.com)I have a list of Ford trucks my company has available for dealers to choose from. (aka chassis pool) These dealers need to have access to the invoices and be able to print them out. (keeps me from having to fax 50 invoices every day) Once it's set up, they should be able to click on the order number of the particular truck they are interested in and it pulls up a pdf copy of the invoice. I have all the invoices. I just need to scan them and convert them into pdf's.
Old 1/23/06, 08:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by StangNut+January 23, 2006, 9:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StangNut @ January 23, 2006, 9:08 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks, Mike & Jeffrey. This is actually for work. So as long as it's not incredibley expensive, I can buy the Adobe Acrobat software. I'm just not sure what to get.[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-StangNut
@January 23, 2006, 9:08 PM
I have all the invoices. I just need to scan them and convert them into pdf's.
[/quote]

How many invoices, and how often will you be updating them. Our office copy machines have all been hooked up so that they scan to PDF, there are a lot of scanners that do this as well, and there are some dedicated units that I would consider if 1) The office was paying for it and B. I had a lot to scan, and often.

As to the software, I'd say download and try PDF995 and Acrobat (You can download and try all of Adobe's software for a month), but given your task a hardware solution may be best. Do you have a scanner? Does it already have PDF capability?
Old 1/24/06, 06:55 AM

On average, I'd say it's 10-20 invoices a week. I don't have to make any changes to an invoice once it's been scanned and put online.
The scanner I use is part of a new Dell 1600n all-in-one copier/printer/scanner/fax. As far as I know it won't scan to a pdf, but I'm not sure.
Old 1/24/06, 01:29 PM

Woo Hoo!!!

Our copier will scan straight to a pdf!

Thanks, Mike!!!!!!