Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

High Definition TV

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/04, 06:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One major reason (besides my car) I wanted to get back to the states was to get my 54" HDTV and the rest of my household goods out of storage and into the apartment. I never hooked my TV up for High Definition, does anyone have one hooked up to receive HD broadcast? If so how does it look? The local cable company provides the box for HD shows for a few bucks more a month then basic cable.

All I know is the DVD's look sweet on their own.
Old 12/28/04, 06:39 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

We have a 50" Plasma, and we love it. We have it wall mounted... our local cable company has quite a few HD stations, but its not always the better choice. They list it as HD, but its not always really HD. It will show up as non letterbox, which is kind of annoying trying to watch something with huge black margins around the picture.

All in all, we wouldnt trade it in for the old way. Projection big screen is cool, except if you cant sit directly in front of it.

We have the Panasonic, and we also have the HDDVR.
Old 12/28/04, 09:22 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Hey Jrabbit is your TV an HD Plasma or just a Plasma, because if it doesnt have the HD reciever the HD broadcasts will actually be the normal quality of whatever your TV is. Plasma being sweet...only down fall is that they dont last long, 1-2 yr lifespan tops, before they burn a hole in the plasma. And if you have an HDTV and do not subscribe to the HD broadcast it will actually look worse than a normal tube picture, I knew someone that did that and couldnt figure out why his picture was so bad....they didnt tell him that you needed the service when he purchased the TV. That all said, HDTV is sick....best picture ever and actually HDTV in a tube tv is the best picture you can get, the plasma isnt as high of a quality when combined with HD for some reason and they dont last and are superexpensive (sorry rabbit).
I personally cant wait for the new technology to come out....they unvailed it this past year at the Electronic Consumers Expo in Vegas....Digital Projection TV with a CPU as the brain as the TV, runs off a very small comp chip and so can get as thin as you want and creates an even better picture than anything out, gets back the old life span of TVs back to 20+ yrs without it crapping out on you and since the technology is simple (CPUs already exists) it is suppose top be cheaper than Plasmas.
Old 12/28/04, 11:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've got a Samsung 27" widescreen HD in my bedroom...best TV I've ever had. Samsung partnered with Sony and the difference in the quality of the Samsung product now is unbelievable.

As for HD with your cable company....I work for a cable company on the east coast and it might be yours too (Comcast). There are two reasons for your letterboxing on the picture...either your TV isn't in right right aspect ratio or the program isn't in HD.

Jessica, you should have two options for the same channel with your cable company...lets say ABC HD and standard ABC. If you are watching something on ABC HD, does it always have the letterbox or just on certain programs? Because if it is only certain programs and commercials, change the channel to standard ABC and it should fill the screen out. Unfortunately, the broadcast companies aren't doing everything in HD yet, they aren't forced to by the government until 2008 now (It was supposed to be last year!). If it is all programs on your HD channel, make sure you are on the correct aspect ratio.

The picture on your television should ALWAYS fill the screen, unless you are watching a letterbox or widescreen program. Especially with a plasma, because you will have a danger of burn-in on the screen, if you leave it like that for a long period of time.

Lastly, to make sure that you are getting the most out of your HDTV....spend the money an buy a DVI cable, if you don't have one and your cable company supports it. If you don't have one, call your cable company first and make sure that the cable box that you have supports it . (Not all cable boxes do, even if they have the DVI port on the back of the box! It might be there, but not active.) If it doesn't, ask them if they have an HD box that does and make the switch! If you have a large screen TV, it does make a noticable difference in picture quality, even with the sharp HD programming. Smaller TV's like mine, it really doesn't make too much of a difference.

I can't watch football in ANYTHING but HD now!
Old 12/30/04, 07:12 PM
She's Back and Strapped!

We have the plasma HD, we have the service, and we have all the spiffy cabling.

When I encounter an HD station that has issues, I just switch over to the regular version, like HDNBC, switch to NBC. I have found it is certain programs.

Our Panasonic actually has a little bit longer on its life span. Hubby researched this EXTENSIVELY before we plunked down the duckets. Panasonic is guaranteeing it for a min of 3 yrs (longest in the industry when we purchased, still not much longer) He paired it all up with Harmon Kardon components, surround sound, the whole nine. Its quite a system. He has it all hooked up to this touch screen all in one remote that can control anything electrical in the house. I was a bit annoyed at the 12 remotes, and I ended up with that monster... hubby is not one for "in-between".

Right now we are watching Starz! and couldnt ask for a better picture. Hubby's fav movie is Braveheart, and Holy Mother is that an epic on this thing! Lord Of The Rings is an event..

We had VOOM!.. for about a week. Was pretty pissed when the guy came to install and when we didnt have network channels, they said, "Oh you need a second antenna." We said, um, no. Ripped it out, and got Time Warner. Time Warner actually is carrying our phone, cable, and modem. With our wireless LAN, we can actually hook into the TV with any one of our laptops.

Did I say that my husband is the director of Technology, and pretty much couldnt do anything without "more power"? You should see our XMas lights, LMAO
Old 12/30/04, 09:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Did I say that my husband is the director of Technology, and pretty much couldnt do anything without "more power"?
My kinda guy!
Old 12/30/04, 09:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
If one can get HD TV, then it is the awesome. But not everything is HD yet.

So I dunno. I'm gonna wait a bit longer. My Dad's hooked up for fooball, but most of the time, the Texans aren't bein' broadcast in HD. Sigh.

Next year, the Texans are goin' to surprise people. But that's another thread...
Old 12/31/04, 06:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I figure if you are watching the Texans you'd want it to be a little fuzzy. Kidding!

I talked to some folks that work at Best Buy and they said all channels are going to be required to broadcast in HD by 2008. We'll see. I should get my HD/Cable box in the mail Monday.
Old 12/31/04, 01:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

The Best Buy guys are wrong all chanels are suppose to be digital by 2008.
Old 12/31/04, 02:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have Direct TV right now for HD viewing.

Standard Material. (480i/480p)

I have a 50' RPTV that upconverts dvd to 540p, a 30' HDTV in my bedroom that upconverts it to 1050i, and I'm using a Z3 front projector in my movie room, it upconverts dvd to the projector's native 720p resolution. The 720p standard dvd image is amazing on a 100' screen. I don't usually watch the 50' inch TV anymore because the image is not as good.

HD

The quality of HD material is 50/50. Discovery Theater and most sport games are awesome. One thing that most people are not aware of is that not everything you see being broadcasted in HD is coming from a HD master source. Sports games are true HD because they are being taped and displayed that way. Most movies are just upconverted right now. The studios do not give networks a HD source tape. They (the networks) take a 480i, or 480p signal, like a dvd, and use an expensive Terenex processor(50K-100K) to upconvert the picture to whatever they want to broadcast it as. (usually 720p or 1080i) This upconverted image is much better than Standard TV or dvd but would not be as good as a true HD master right from the film stock itself.

If you are looking at larger TVs take my advice and get one with either a good line doubler/scaler, or get a dvdo unit for upconverting. You would not believe the difference but it is almost as good as the movies currently being broadcast in HD right now by the networks. As someone else metioned you also want to make sure you use a Hdmi or dvi connection so the display signal remains digital the enitre time. An analog-digital connection results in lost picture information.
Old 12/31/04, 02:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I have a 54" HDTV with line filler (doubler I guess is what it's really called?) and DVD's alone are amazing, can't wait for the HD box on Monday.
Old 12/31/04, 03:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by mustangfun101@December 31, 2004, 3:56 PM
I have a 54" HDTV with line filler (doubler I guess is what it's really called?) and DVD's alone are amazing, can't wait for the HD box on Monday.
You will love it! B)
Old 1/1/05, 11:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
High Def Forum

You will find lots of information about HD. I can't even fathom why I didn't remember this earlier. My father gets gifts from people who read that place. He's an admin on it.

/rolling eyes at myself for forgettin'.
Old 1/2/05, 03:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by houtex@January 2, 2005, 12:34 AM
High Def Forum

You will find lots of information about HD. I can't even fathom why I didn't remember this earlier. My father gets gifts from people who read that place. He's an admin on it.

/rolling eyes at myself for forgettin'.
The Audio Video Science Forum is a great website as well.

AVSforum.com
Old 1/3/05, 02:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

It's been a busy day. Got the new leather seats and installed them and then the HDTV box comes in. I just got it hooked up and after some programming problems of the box from their end (fixed in 30 minutes) and they have 6 HD channels all by themselves not to mention whatever comes broadcasted on other channels every now and then. The picture is sweet and got it going through the home theater too. Sports should be fun to watch now.
Old 1/3/05, 05:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by mustangfun101@January 3, 2005, 3:42 PM
It's been a busy day. Got the new leather seats and installed them and then the HDTV box comes in. I just got it hooked up and after some programming problems of the box from their end (fixed in 30 minutes) and they have 6 HD channels all by themselves not to mention whatever comes broadcasted on other channels every now and then. The picture is sweet and got it going through the home theater too. Sports should be fun to watch now.
Just wait. It's like Christmas everytime they add another HD channel!
Old 1/3/05, 05:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Sounds good to me! I can't wait to watch a Football game on it. I'm really glad I have a 54" screen with that letterbox broadcast.
Old 1/5/05, 05:02 PM
V6 Member

I have a... 13" tv in my bedroom, i'm pretty proud... wish I had a bigger TV but yay go me, i'm only 14.

But the reason i posted was that I over heard this guy in future shop saying the there was a plasma screen tv with a 4-5 year life span, any chance thats true...?

*dont know if they have future shop in the states if not it's like a huge electronics store, tvs/stereo/computers that kinda stuff
Old 1/5/05, 06:13 PM
GT Member

I just ordered a Samsung HD tuner that has 3 inputs, 1 each for cable TV, DirecTV, and over-the-air. I've already got a Panasonic 34" HDTV ready 16:9. I hope it will be worth the money.
Old 1/5/05, 06:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

The figures for Plasma are usually around 60,000 hour lifespan, though their half-life at 30,000 hours results in a 50% dimmer picture. DLP is around 80,000, LCD is anywhere around 50,000, CRT around 10-15 years I believe, under normnal use. Plasma has an upside and downside like every other type of display, be it LCD, DLP, LCOS, FP or CRT. The biggest being Price/Resolution IMO.

The main problem with "affordable" Plasma is that there is no accepted "definition" of what the cutoff for HD is supposed to be. The accepted meaning of HD for the networks seem to be either 720P or 1080i. The downside is many Plasmas are being passed off by store ads, such as Best Buy, as HD displays when in fact they are ED. (Enhanced Definition) This means they have a lower resolution than true HD sets, less pixels, and when you feed them HD feeds they are downscaling the info. True HD Plasmas are coming down in price but are still expensive. Point being, in case you are looking into buying one make sure you know the resolution of the display! This downconversion results in a 10% picture difference of HD material. Standard material such as dvd looks great on a EDPlasma or HDPlasma as the display will upscale it by itself to it's native resolution.

Plasma displays also run hotter than the other technologies, are susceptible to Burn in if left on for too long, and can be heavy if you are planning on wall mounting. Also, due to the natural gasses used, Plasmas are said to underperform at higher elevations around 9000ft. I have not seen this though.

The picture quality is better than LCD and DLP displays IMO, though that has been changing quickly as the other two become more popular. Plasma also give you a wider viewing angle which is around 180" degrees.

If you are looking for a great picture with a thin display, and don't mind spending the money, Plasma is terrific IMO. Just make sure you compare it to other technologies first.

Quick Reply: High Definition TV