Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Having fun with telemarketers

Search this Thread

Old 4/4/15 | 09:32 PM
GT Member

Having fun with telemarketers

I made a rule a long time ago... I never give money or information at the door or over the phone. The telemarketers often times sell your information as "people who will give money over the phone" causing a snowball effect. Anyway, the game is to see how long you can keep them on the phone without giving them money or information.
Yes, cruel, I know.
But it keeps them from calling other people, wastes their money making it not profitable and the end game is to never hear from them again.

The score in the last two weeks:
My computer has a virus scammer (girl) 18 minutes
Sirius radio (I even told the guy I wasn't going to buy in and I was going to waste his time) 13 minutes
Option poll 6 minutes
Computer scammer (guy) 8 minutes
I receive a ton of "you have not claimed your google business account" but it never connects after I press 1 to talk to a representative.

I'm sorry to say a friend of mine named Richard holds the unbeatable high score of keeping someone on the phone and I'm not joking about this... Over 2 hours! This guy really wanted to clean the carpets at his fathers law office.

My wife is much kinder and just asks to be removed from their list.

Thanks for reading my story. If you decide to play I would love to see your high score posted here.
Old 4/4/15 | 10:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Been several years ago now, but my favorite was the naive young thing who called to let me know I'd "won" a free lesson at the local dance academy. I feigned flying into a rage: "Who put you up to this? Do you think you're being funny?" She stuttered and gulped a little and proclaimed as sincerely as she could that this was the real deal. I held quiet for a few beats and, in as broken a voice as I could muster, told her I'd been in a serious wreck not long before and was now a quadriplegic. She was near tears and still apologizing when I hung up on her. Sucker.