Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Has anyone here had a DUI?

Search this Thread

Old 4/23/10, 12:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Has anyone here had a DUI?

Just wondering. I'll tell you my story (so far) after I hear a couple more. I've had a rough couple of weeks, but for being so stupid, I know if could have been worse. I didn't crash or hurt anyone, but I did lose my job. And even though I haven't been convicted yet, I doubt I'll be getting a new Mustang any time soon. So if anyone wants to share your story, go ahead...I'll share mine in a couple days.
Old 4/23/10, 12:28 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
Better put your flame suit on brother.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 4/23/10 at 12:29 AM.
Old 4/23/10, 12:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Oh it's on. It was on St. Patrick's Day, of all days. And my dad is retired PD. I HATE drunk drivers, with a passion. Didn't think I'd ever be one of them. And I pretty much squashed my own goals of being a CHP one day.
Old 4/23/10, 03:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm not going to try and pass judgement on you, we all make mistakes, some worse than others, some have worse consequences than others. From what little I've heard of your story, no one else was affected, so that is one thing to be thankful for at least.

I've never had a DUI, but I have had a couple of coworkers who have in the past, and saw what they went through. Frankly, the risk of getting a DUI is one of the main reasons I don't generally drink. I enjoy cars and driving to much to risk a lapse in judgement ruining that for me. I had my first taste of alcohol when I was a teenager, around 25 years ago, but I've never been drunk in my life, never even really had a good buzz on. At most I might drink a few times a year, never more than one or two drinks (nothing hard), and 95% of the time it is at home.

I wish you luck as you work through this and move on with your life and the changes this will bring to your life in the coming months and years.
Old 4/23/10, 07:20 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Cool Over 30 years ago

Yeah, I'm old. I was a few years over legal drinking age even back then.
I was coming back from a wedding reception over 30 years ago and an old man broadsided me.
I backed the car out of the intersection afterward and when the cops came they were convinced I had hit him because there was beer on my breath.
The next day the guy at the body shop said, "I got one question for you. How did you hit him with the side of your car?"
I told him I got T-boned and he said the cop's accident report made no sense.
Didn't affect the DWI anyway, but I wouldn't have had to talk to the cops if he hadn't hit me.
This proves that you never know what can happen.
Of course, the fine was minimal and the insurance hike was less than you kids pay today with a good driving record.
Old 4/23/10, 12:56 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
It might be best to hold off in providing details at this time.
Old 4/23/10, 08:52 PM
FR500 Member

Only thing to do is to live and learn. Good thing your local PD didn't have this program in effect. http://www.khon2.com/mostpopular/sto...9cs6Hx4GQ.cspx
Some of those caught were repeat offenders too.
Old 4/23/10, 08:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Yes I have. 1995 and I did my time. I love beer, but I love my driver's licence more. Since then, I've been responsible and have not jepordized my driving privildge.

I'ts going to be hard, but you'll have no choice. Grin and bear it. If you can keep your car, do it, If not, sell it. It's a huge cluster, do the best you can.

Last edited by WaltM; 4/23/10 at 09:33 PM.
Old 4/23/10, 10:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I don't have a DUI story... and never will. If I know I'm gonna be drinkin', someone else is driving. If I know I'm driving, I'm not drinking. Such a simple thing. Easy to do too, as everyone respects me either way for doing the right thing, and I enjoy knowing that... and keeping their trust, the most important part.

I'm sorry ya found yourself on the 'other side' as it were, but even this can be forgiven... you may find good fortune, if you do one thing: Don't ever do it again. Matter of fact, sober more than not may win you good favor.

It's not the end of the world... but it may be the beginning of a new one for ya. Make lemonade, man.
Old 4/24/10, 12:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
Only thing to do is to live and learn. Good thing your local PD didn't have this program in effect. http://www.khon2.com/mostpopular/sto...9cs6Hx4GQ.cspx
Some of those caught were repeat offenders too.
Honestly, I've been trying to come up with ideas for new legislation for first offenders (especially, like in my case, they weren't plastered, just barely over the limit). I was thinking as a way of giving people a "first chance" to get through it and not have a DUI conviction on their record (on the DMV or for your insurance), the first offender could be given the choice to have his/her car vinyl-wrapped with very embarrassing caution "Caught driving under the influence on whatever/date/2010", and have to keep the vinyl wrap on the car for the remainder of the court's probation period, which is 3 years. Personally, I already have to live with the grief of knowing I screwed up and embarrassment of being arrested with my family and friends; to save my insurance from tripling at my age and with a Mustang, I would take this avenue and never do it again. I mean, I'm not going to do it again ANYways, but at least in CA, they just changed the laws to have the DUI stay on your record even longer than before. I wouldn't be able to get a "good driver discount" on insurance for 10 years, even if I get ZERO tickets/not in ANY accidents after this.

I'm still in the process of seeking out legal council. It's been a ****ty ride so far, but I'll use this space to chronicle the whole thing from start to finish, so that maybe some of you guys can learn from it. I'm currently serving my mandatory 30-days hard suspension for the DMV. They take your license right away, but give you 30 days of temp license, then 30 days hard suspension where you can't drive at all. It would have been nice to just get the 30-day suspension out of the way up front, but I guess they want to make it as inconvenient for you as possible (especially since I won't be able to drive to court, 40 miles away).

I had an amazing job for someone my age, and had just gotten a promotion. I was just about to order a 2011 GT. Now I have no job, between $2-4k of bills if I go for a lawyer (the ticket itself is about $1,800 so I've heard) and any automotive/law enforcement job I would like to apply for, they pretty much have been turning me down immediately. Just the fact that I have a DUI pending, not even convicted yet, they won't even talk to me. I had a spotless driving record before this. I've been scrambling trying to get a new job before my court date, before I have to check the "Yes I have been convicted of a Misdemeanor" box, but nothing yet.

I'm screwed. Ultimately, I have no one to blame but myself, but once I divulge all the details, you guys will see there's more to the story. I'll bring this back up after the court date (May 6).
Old 4/24/10, 12:35 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I will say that I think MADD has gone a bit too far when 1 beer crosses the legal line. However, I am sorry for their true losses.

I am against drunk driving and even buzzed driving when it endangers anyone's life.

But you can't even have 1 beer or 1 glass of wine with lunch or dinner without being illegal. That's bull. With the exception of unless you're a 16 yr old 90# girl.

IMHO
Old 4/24/10, 12:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, it really depends on the alcohol content of the beer and your size/tolerance. But most people are legally "drunk" after two beers. A .10 is, basically, one beer over the limit for an average size, average tolerance guy like me. I understand the law having trouble discerning where to draw the line, but they err on the side of caution. There are more people, that at .08 are truly impaired than not.
Old 4/24/10, 05:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
But most people are legally "drunk" after two beers. A .10 is, basically, one beer over the limit for an average size,
is

When I got caught, I blew a .11 and that was when .10 was the standard. I think that going to .08 is overkill. I also lost my job back then as well, so I can relate.
Old 4/24/10, 06:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
But you can't even have 1 beer or 1 glass of wine with lunch or dinner without being illegal....
A shot of Nyquil can put you over the limit as well.
Old 4/24/10, 08:36 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Post I don't drink and drive but...

I don't know how much you guys weigh or how fast you drink, but 2 will not put me over .08.
http://www.brad21.org/bac_charts.html
The chart is fairly accurate.
Remember these are guidelines.
4 in 2 hours won't be .08 for me, but I can't drink that many now anyway.
Subtract .01% for each 40 minutes of drinking
(Our local cops are taught 60 mins., but it also depends on other factors too.)
I also have a portable breathalyzer.
I take it to clubs and parties and can prove to people they are too tipsy and shouldn't drive.
Old 4/24/10, 10:54 AM
Post *****

Thanx for that chart.

It gives me some idea - and that my method has been safe. When I go out to play music I have limited myself to 2 beers (pint) over 2-3 hrs, and then no more for at least another hour before I leave, and always have a hamburger or grilled cheese in my cooler to eat on the half hour home.

Other than that, I practice George Thorogood's method... "I drink alone..." - at home - with the car keys put away.
Old 4/24/10, 10:03 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I'd like to get one of those brethalyzers...

that chart doesnt go up high enough, haha
Old 4/24/10, 11:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Thanx for that chart.

It gives me some idea - and that my method has been safe. When I go out to play music I have limited myself to 2 beers (pint) over 2-3 hrs, and then no more for at least another hour before I leave, and always have a hamburger or grilled cheese in my cooler to eat on the half hour home.

Other than that, I practice George Thorogood's method... "I drink alone..." - at home - with the car keys put away.
Your a regular Blues Brother go in be one of the Good Ol Boy's and have a drink & leave lol
some how your post reminded me of the show !
Old 4/24/10, 11:44 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
Your a regular Blues Brother go in be one of the Good Ol Boy's and have a drink & leave lol
some how your post reminded me of the show !
It beats dodging beer bottles through the chicken wire! LOL

"you're gonna look pretty funny eatin' corn on the cob...
with no friggin' teeth!"
Old 4/25/10, 09:53 AM
Cobra R Member

"We play both kinds of music; country and western..."

Quick Reply: Has anyone here had a DUI?