Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Gun lovers, does this make sense?

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/08, 01:27 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gun lovers, does this make sense?

Just wondering what your thoughts are. Since I am one of those anti-gun type folk, I am trying to figure out what this guy was trying to do. Recently at the border they have started a no questions asked rule when it comes to guns. If you try to enter the country with a firearm without the proper paper work, unloaded, locked etc, you go to jail. Do not pass go, do not collect $100.00 (or was it $200.00, anyway...). A few people have been arrested, including a dentist from entering Canada with a loaded weapon, without paperwork. However that is nothing compared to this guy.......

A guy pulls up to customs in an RV. The person working has him pull over for inspection (normal for RV's). As they look through the RV they are surprised at what they find. 17 loaded, yes loaded, firearms. All unlocked. If you sit in the drivers seat, you can reach 8 of them with your right hand. Now, that wasn't the bad part. He had his family with him which included an 8 yr old boy. They found a loaded gun sitting on a table next to a few of the kids toys. They then told the guy they were going to search him and asked him if he had any weapons, sharp objects, etc on his person. His response "I only have 2 loaded pistols in my pockets".

Ok, so other than wanting to try to take out a small town, what would be the point of needing that many weapons in a vehicle? Depending on where you live, ok, maybe 1 loaded weapon locked in the glove box but am I the only one to think this guy was nuts. By the way, he is locked up and looks like he will be spending his vacation behind bars.
Old 8/25/08, 01:44 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As a pro-gun guy, I'll say that guy is nuckin futz and sounds like an example of an irresponsible gun owner who gives anti-gun guys a reason to have justified feelings.
Old 8/25/08, 01:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
JMO, sounds like a bit of paranoia. I carry a gun, loaded etc. but 17 loaded, not safe. I do understand the ownership of 17+ guns, and have had that many or more in my truck, but only when going to the shooting range. As for the 8 year old, I know a few that can shoot better than most adults and know more about gun safety than most too. But to be bouncing around in an RV is stupid. Keep one out for protection, lock the rest up.
Old 8/25/08, 01:48 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Cool, so my feelings are justified

Old 8/25/08, 01:56 PM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
As a pro-gun guy, I'll say that guy is nuckin futz and sounds like an example of an irresponsible gun owner who gives anti-gun guys a reason to have justified feelings.
+1

This guy has issues.....no reason to have that many in the vehicle unless heading to a range and at that all but one should be unloaded. This guy is just waiting for a battle if he had 2 in his pockets in addition to the rest!
Old 8/25/08, 01:58 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
sometimes a persons mental unbalance has to come into view .. i know a guy who likes falcon cars .. he has 17 of them .. is he nuts ??
Old 8/25/08, 02:04 PM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by HOSS429
sometimes a persons mental unbalance has to come into view .. i know a guy who likes falcon cars .. he has 17 of them .. is he nuts ??
Well, he couldn't fend off a small 3rd world country with the Falcons so no.....

I have a friend who has over 40 SVO's......he is not nuts......enthusiast, yes.....but he doesn't put them all on a hill with no parking brake aimed at a group of people either.

I loaded gun collection traveling with is far different than a collection of cars. The key to this issue is that all the guns were loaded....combine that with traveling into another country and you have a big problem. I wouldn't enter another state with a single loaded gun without knowing if they were reciprocal with my Carry permit and how to handle it if they were not.
Old 8/25/08, 02:06 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Yes, yes he is
Old 8/25/08, 02:15 PM
I lust for a M24

Hey may be, but that doesn't mean he's not irresponsible.

Last edited by 05GT-O.C.D.; 8/25/08 at 04:01 PM.
Old 8/25/08, 02:48 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,180 Likes on 2,327 Posts
As Long as they are US Manufactured Guns I am Cool with it. However if they are Imports Lock em up! BTW,Guess you Never been to Texas!

Gotcha!

Just Kidding!

KC
Old 8/25/08, 03:57 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by svopaul
The key to this issue is that all the guns were loaded....combine that with traveling into another country and you have a big problem. I wouldn't enter another state with a single loaded gun without knowing if they were reciprocal with my Carry permit and how to handle it if they were not.
Obviously he was caught and he was wrong. Were they all legally posessed? Did he have a conceal carry permit? I doubt it. Owning guns at home and carrying 17 loaded guns in an RV is not the same. I would not defend this guy. If this were the Mexican border they'd lock him up for good as a gun runner. I've known people who go to Mexican jail for months for carrying a shotgun or deer rifle unloaded over the border for a hunting trip. You never carry a gun across Mexican border! They consider it gun running as they assume everyone is selling these guns to indian rebels in south Mexico. I would think that likewise you don't take guns into Canada. Also I can't see how 17 loaded guns in an RV would be legal in any state.
Old 8/25/08, 04:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I can't see how 17 loaded guns in an RV would be legal in any state.

If he has an FFL ( Federal Firearms licence.. ie: a dealer licence).
otherwise

As for a concealed carry permit, does not work across the north and south borders. Only with in the states, and then not all of them either.

Last edited by Dougxox; 8/25/08 at 04:04 PM.
Old 8/25/08, 04:03 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Dougxox
If he has an FFL ( Federal Firearms licence.. ie: a dealer licence).
otherwise
There you go. He may very well, but I doubt it. Again we don't have all the information.
Old 8/25/08, 04:06 PM
I lust for a M24

Sure, but an FFL only gives him rights in the 'federation' of the USA. If anyone should know better than to leave the USA and take 17 loaded weapons into another country, it should be him.
Old 8/25/08, 04:08 PM
Cobra R Member

back to my original post: Paranoid!
Old 8/25/08, 04:11 PM
I lust for a M24

just chattin' - didn't mean to be arguementative. (sp?)
Old 8/25/08, 04:12 PM
Post *****

Luckily for him its hard for Canada to consider anyone a terrorist.

If he were coming North to South he'd probably be headed for Gitmo, or wherever they send them now.
Old 8/25/08, 04:18 PM
The Man... keeping you down.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He was getting a head start...

Old 8/25/08, 04:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
My old neighbour works for the Crown Prosecuters office & were having a brew after work one day goes on to tell me they get a call from this fellow that's extremley worried for his friend may harm someone, he goes on about stuff the guy had grenades /gun's /pipe bombs/ some explosives etc, apparently he was about to go out on a rampage to do some damage but because this fellow reported the Police got to him first. Thank gwad & havf this kinda stuff never makes the news I'd think that if it did we may be scared to go out !
Old 8/25/08, 05:24 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 3,180 Likes on 2,327 Posts
Curses! Our Invasion of Canada was Foiled!

LOL!

KC

Quick Reply: Gun lovers, does this make sense?