Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Going on our first cruise

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/11, 02:55 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Going on our first cruise

Alright. Taking a family cruise. Carnival line out of mobile. Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel.
I need some suggestions and pointers on what to do or what to avoid at the ports from people who have gone. Any do's and don't do's will help. Thanks.
Old 7/1/11, 04:08 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey there. I have been on 3 cruises before so I consider myself pretty knowledgeable on the cruising experience. Many people have different ways of cruising and doing things. Personally, I never buy my excursions on the boat through the cruise line. All the excursions from the boat have huge markups and once you get off the boat there will be dozens of locals that have the same tours but are open to negotiation. I was able to get a 140 dollar excursion once for 30 bucks...pretty big difference. The only real danger is that excursions booked through the boat are insured and the boat will not leave you if you are late. I have never gotten close to missing the boat...but on the other hand io have seen it happen to people before. If you have children I recommend you buy the drink package...it is def worth it in the long run. If you have never been on a cruise before than you will really enjoy it!
Old 7/2/11, 06:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Been on 2 from carnival from out of Mobile. Both times were to Cozumel etc. Both times we were redirected to Key West, Bahamas (swine flu and a hurricane). Don't overpack. Comming back through the customs you will be carrying everything waiting in line with about 4-6 people checking several hundred to over a thousand people. It's long and you are at the bottom level in sticky mobile humidity waiting forever with no air. Watch the outlets. They are not 110 they are 115 my wife and sister in law fried their hair dryers. Camp carnival is great for the kids. The drink card is a must. Pace youself money wise. There are plenty of people trying to get you to buy something, airbrush tattoos, pictures, shell bracelets, etc.
Old 7/2/11, 06:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cayman islands is awesome. Wish i could go back
Old 7/6/11, 07:50 AM
V6 Member

We took a tour to the Maya site in Tulum, which was a 30 minute ride from Cozumel to the mainland and then on a bus for about 45 minutes. It was absolutely worth it, though. Check it out, the water is really that color! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulum

Have fun! Sebastian