Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

GO ASTROS!

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/04, 09:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Game four, ASTROS! (sorry, hadn't checked in here for a while.)

2-2, goin' into game 5. Clutch City 2004, here we go!

Boy, I sure hope they can pull it off. I admit, though, it is not gonna be easy. Card's line up is potent for sure, and Rolens woke up.

I didn't even get to see the game. My brother got marri-ed! So I had a pretty decent excuse...

Oh yeah, and the Texans won IN Tennesee. Way to go Houston! Not too bad. Now if the family dog makes it tomorrow, it'll be all good. Daisy's not doin' too well, but she's better than she was yesterday. Vet visit tomorrow, probably cought doggie flu, and needs some IVs. Let ya know, after the Astros win tomorrow...

GO DAISY! Beat the doggie flu!
Old 10/17/04, 11:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sorry. I was outside screaming at the top of my lungs about Marquis' performance. That's okay. You guys have used Clemens and what's his name. Oh yeah Oswalt. Anyway, we've got Woody coming back up. BTW, you guys need to open that dome from what I've seen of the weather reports. ( I think it's just closed to amplify screams) Dirty.
Old 10/18/04, 04:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Dirty? Oh, ok, well, I believe the fans and the Astros can handle the heat. I thought it was being nice, but ok, you asked for it...

/Although *I* don't know the status of the roof decision....
Old 10/18/04, 04:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Dude, I'm just joking around with you. And I'm not really mad at Marquis. It's Tavarez for giving up that home run. Otherwise it would have been ours. That's Ok. Now it's like starting over and it's a best of three.
Old 10/18/04, 04:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Oh, and it was the fact that it was like 85 and sunny and they kept the dome closed that I thought was dirty. It amplifies sound so it gets louder than front row at an AC/DC concert even if it really isn't. Oh we can handle the heat. Here in St. Louis, last winter, it was 19 degrees one day, and the next it was 86. If we can get used to that, I'm sure heat isn't going to bother us.
Old 10/18/04, 04:34 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cough
Yankees
Cough

I hate baseball, but have managed to get hooked on this series.
Old 10/18/04, 10:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Dude. Totally jokin' back at you.
Dude.
Dude!
Dude.
Dude.
DUDE.
DUDE!
DUDE!!! Dude....Dude.
Ok, well, you've got a point there.

Oh, and ahem:

GO ASTROS!!!!!!!
3-2 goin' into STL again. w00t!

And WTG Red Sox. I am NOT a Yankees fan. Sorry to those who are. I just love it when the biggest payrolls in baseball can't win the pennant. So I'm lookin' forward to Boston vs. Astros and lettin' the Astros beat them too... One can hope...

Oh, and BTW, DaisyDog seems to be beatin' the doggie flu. She much better now. GO DAISY!!!

/13 years old dog. Smartest dog EVAR!!!11!1one.
Old 10/19/04, 04:49 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Do you really think those Yanks were going to win the series in Boston? I don't think so........ Game SIX NY.
Please- Like A-rod and Derek Jeter get paid big bucks to strike out......They are 3-2 and the series is back home- where they will win, the NY'ers will go nuts and they will go to the world series as usual.

Mind you- I have no idea how I have gotten interested in this, but I lost a good six hours of my life yesterday.
Old 10/19/04, 04:55 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

BOSTON - There usually aren't these kinds of opportunities for redemption in the cruel Yankees-Red Sox rivalry, at least not for Red Sox players. Tim Wakefield, the man who gave up the home run to Aaron Boone last year, the homer that will live forever in odes or epithets depending on your geography, is a New England hero a year and three days later.
Meanwhile, David Ortiz continued to script his own postseason lore, which is where the Red Sox are headed if they keep up an improbable run that continued last night with a 5-4 victory over the Yankees in 14 innings of the AL Championship Series' Game 5.

Wakefield threw three scoreless innings of relief and Ortiz battled little-used Esteban Loaiza for 10 pitches before dropping an RBI single into short center field for his second consecutive extra-inning, walk-off hit. The Red Sox again staved off elimination and pulled to within 3-2 by winning their second straight marathon game.

They also again punished the two main cogs of the Yankee bullpen - Tom Gordon and Mariano Rivera. Gordon was charged with the tying runs in the eighth inning, the final one coming when the first batter that Rivera faced hit a sac fly. It's the second night in a row that Rivera had blown a save and the third time this postseason.

So now there is hope in Boston and there is confusion in the Bronx, about the bullpen and the Yankees' inability to put away the Sox. Is that enough to break a Curse that has haunted New England since 1918?

We'll find out when the series goes on tonight, when the two teams meet in a Game 6 few thought would happen. In fact, it will be only the third time in history that a team that took a 3-0 lead in a series has been forced to play a Game 6 (Braves did it to Padres in '98, Mets against Atlanta in '99). None of the 25 previous teams to go up 3-0 ever has been pushed to a Game 7.

Derek Jeter was asked if he could believe that the Red Sox, who had looked so down after a Game 3 loss, had rebounded and won such tight games.

"Nothing surprises me at this point," Jeter said. "Something always seems to happen. ... We put ourselves in a perfect position two days in a row, we just didn't win the games."

He's right - the Yankees left 18 runners on base last night, six more than Boston, and were just 1-for-13 (.077) with runners in scoring position.

Both teams were claiming to have the momentum last night - the Red Sox, obviously, have won two gripping games. But the Yankees say they have an edge because they're going back to the Stadium.

"We're going home, so what do you think?" Rivera asked.

"I'm not sure that these two games, other than being frustrated as heck, change how we feel about ourselves," Joe Torre said. "If they had beaten us up, lopsided two games in a row, I would say that's one thing. But these games, back and forth, it was a matter of a pitch, a hit, a run."

But the Red Sox clearly were feeling great about themselves.

"This is it, we have a chance to shock America," Kevin Millar said. "There's no pressure on us at all. We have a chance to do something no one's ever done. ... Here we are. We fully believe we're going to do it."

"No team ever has come back from being 0-3, so the pressure is all on them," added Johnny Damon. "We're not supposed to win it. They have to play well or else history will be made."

It was last night, too. It was the second straight night that the two teams set the record for the longest ALCS game in history. Sunday's game was five hours and two minutes and last night's game zipped past that mark before the 12th was over. It also was the longest game in postseason history at five hours and 49 minutes.

History might have to wait a day or two to happen, though - the New York forecast calls for wet weather, which could affect Game 6, which features Jon Lieber against an injured Curt Schilling.

Jeter joked that last night's game went on so long that "I forgot who started" and Alex Rodriguez said he thought Pedro Martinez and Mike Mussina "started on (Sunday)." They were only minor footnotes to the game; the real pitching story came from both bullpens.

The Red Sox bullpen threw eight scoreless innings, keyed by Wakefield, after Martinez gave up four runs and the Yankees held a 4-2 lead.

Loaiza was the loser, but he got out of a jam in the 11th by getting Orlando Cabrera to hit into an inning-ending double play. He put up zeroes in the 12th and 13th, too.

In the 14th, he walked Damon in between strikeouts of Mark Bellhorn and Cabrera and then walked Manny Ramirez, bringing up Ortiz.

Wakefield pitched out of a jam in the 13th when his knuckler was floating so much that Jason Varitek, who is not his regular catcher, couldn't handle it. Varitek had three passed ***** in the inning, the last one of which got Hideki Matsui to third as the potential go-ahead run. But Wakefield struck out Ruben Sierra to end the threat and threw a 1-2-3 14th.

"He's a gutty son of a gun," Torre said of Wakefield. "He battles, doesn't give in, doesn't let a couple of hits or a malfunction affect what he does. I can't say I'm happy he did it, but I certainly respect how he goes about it."

Originally published on October 19, 2004
Old 10/19/04, 10:12 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Cough Cough....JeChris.....
Old 10/20/04, 12:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Both pitchers did very well in game 5. Unfortunately, Izzie gave up that home run in the ninth. That's okay. Every best of seven tournament the Cards have ever been in in which they were down 3 games to 2, they've come back to win.
Old 10/20/04, 12:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Did you guys notice that the riot police were on the field when the Yanks were fielding, but went away when the Sox went out to field. Who are they trying to protect? The Yankees or the Red Sox?
Old 10/20/04, 12:20 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by Maverick128@October 20, 2004, 1:18 PM
Did you guys notice that the riot police were on the field when the Yanks were fielding, but went away when the Sox went out to field. Who are they trying to protect? The Yankees or the Red Sox?
Holy CRAP! I yelled at the tv for an hour. A. Rod got robbed.

They were trying to protect the sox from the crazy yankee fans. Didn't you see them lobbing the baseballs at the field?
Old 10/20/04, 12:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah but when the Sox went back on the field after the Yankees cleared it, the cops left.

And A-Rod hit his forearm to knock the ball out of his hand.

MLB Rule
Old 10/20/04, 12:46 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Naw, cops didn't leave till the bottom of the 9th when the yanks came back out.

I realize the rule, but GRR still. :bang:
If the yanks don't win tonight, I am going back to being a baseball hater. And that blasted David Ortiz is starting to tick me off too, the yankees need to get him over to their team.
Old 10/20/04, 01:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The Yankees can have Carlos Beltran now instead of next year if it makes you feel any better. According to the Chicago Tribune he may be going to New York next season. Personally I would feel much better if they took him now.

I'd give you a link but you have to register with the paper.
Old 10/20/04, 02:01 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Four More Hours!

I have been walking like a zombie all week from staying up too late watching this series.... :sleep: :sleep: Its seriously cutting into my six hours a night.
Old 10/20/04, 06:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Edmonds wins it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10/20/04, 06:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

On to the Yanks/Sox game now. Sorry EleanorsMine, but, go Sox.
Old 10/20/04, 06:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Is it just me, or does Jeter ALWAYS look stoned? I think it's the lazy looking eyelids.