Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Go**amn Luvbugs

Search this Thread

Old 9/21/05 | 01:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Luvbugs. And palmetto bugs.

Reasons 15 through 1,296 not to live in the deep south.
Old 9/21/05 | 01:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is Escambia County FL they are everywhere. Almost every car around here is completely covered in them. I can't believe how fast they eat through paint!
Old 9/21/05 | 02:22 PM
Bullitt Member

I've left the Stang in the garage the last few weeks, I'll let the daily driver SUV get creamed....

Lovebugs fly united
Old 9/21/05 | 02:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by nole_trainer@September 21, 2005, 8:25 AM
So has anyone tried the baby oil trick?
I can think of many interesting replies to this question but since it's a family website, I'll refrain.

The luvbugs are bad here in Southeast Texas as well.
Old 9/21/05 | 04:23 PM

"I just saw that you are in Waycross. What color is your '65 Stang? I saw a most awesome first gen. the other day."

It is a candy-apple red with a little metalic flake to it. I glows in the sun.
Old 9/21/05 | 04:40 PM

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is. I thought the lovebugs come out earlier in the year, like springish? Anyways, darn bugs! I get my car washed every tuesday, and everytime it ends up raining. Also, the bug seem to splatter all over my windsheild after it's been cleaned! WRATH!
Old 9/21/05 | 05:29 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Budders@September 21, 2005, 6:32 AM
whats a pita?

It's a tortilla-like flatbread used to make sandwiches- but that's not important right now.
Old 9/21/05 | 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Infinity@September 21, 2005, 5:32 PM
It's a tortilla-like flatbread used to make sandwiches- but that's not important right now.

Old 9/21/05 | 06:30 PM
GTR Member

The hardest part is getting them out of the honeycomb grill. :bang: :bang: if you wash them off the same day it's not that hard to get off paint.somebody posted letting them soak with wd-40 for a little bit first..
somehow I have this weird feeling that Adrenaline is going to move this thread.
Old 9/21/05 | 07:02 PM
Bullitt Member

so what if he does? i don't see why people are constantly getting bent out of shape about it, i think it makes it easier to find stuff...
O this is about actual bugs! i thought we were talkin about old VW beetles!
Old 9/21/05 | 07:20 PM
Bullitt Member

well i spent the better part of my afternoon cleaning my car...i was just going to do the front and my winshield to get the majoity off but then i couldn't just leaver her half done so i completly cleaned her....i've hear to use tirefoam...just on the areas that are hit the hardest... i know someone that uses it on her lexus and shes never had problems w/ it...so i'm trying it to see how it works...hoepfully it doesn't mess anything up! :cross-fingers:
Old 9/21/05 | 08:20 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by Budders@September 21, 2005, 9:05 PM
so what if he does? i don't see why people are constantly getting bent out of shape about it, i think it makes it easier to find stuff...
O this is about actual bugs! i thought we were talkin about old VW beetles!
not gettin bent,just makin a statement
Old 9/22/05 | 11:22 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah... WD40 as opposed to baby oil. it stands for Water Displacement Compound 40. It was developed by the military to protect missiles from corrision while they're being stored. It will not damage the paint, and it will keep crap from adhearing to it. I'd suggest waxing first, but it will leave a smooth, wet looking, but dry and not slippery surface. I used it on the from of my truck one time when it was coverd in bugs (not luvbugs) like 2 months after a road trip.... they came right off.
Old 9/22/05 | 02:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by clintoris@September 22, 2005, 1:25 PM
Yeah... WD40 as opposed to baby oil. it stands for Water Displacement Compound 40. It was developed by the military to protect missiles from corrision while they're being stored. It will not damage the paint, and it will keep crap from adhearing to it. I'd suggest waxing first, but it will leave a smooth, wet looking, but dry and not slippery surface. I used it on the from of my truck one time when it was coverd in bugs (not luvbugs) like 2 months after a road trip.... they came right off.
No it doesn't..

"WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion -- a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try."

Source: http://home.howstuffworks.com/question155.htm
Old 9/22/05 | 03:16 PM
Cobra Member

we're splitting hairs.
Old 9/22/05 | 06:00 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by Ford05MustangGT@September 22, 2005, 4:27 PM
No it doesn't..

"WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion -- a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try."

Source: http://home.howstuffworks.com/question155.htm

I luv TMS..Chock full of info
Old 9/22/05 | 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by clintoris@September 22, 2005, 5:19 PM
we're splitting hairs.
Nah, not a big deal though, hope it didn't come off as hostile/arrogant.
Old 9/22/05 | 10:46 PM

Wow, sounds sorta like these bugs I ran into moving cross-country. When I was driving through Nevada at night I ran into this immense "cloud" of bugs, they were so intense they made driving almost impossible due to the millions of yellow splats on my windshield that my wipers could not clean fast enough. Of course stupid me, I pull into a rest stop and *get out of the car* immediately drawing their attention on me. Got quite a few bites.

It only lasted a few miles but man, I *never* want to see that kind of thing again. The front of my car was discolored and even a thorough car wash didn't really help much. The dealer still took it as a trade when I got my Mustang 8)
Old 9/23/05 | 08:20 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Ford05MustangGT@September 22, 2005, 7:36 PM
Nah, not a big deal though, hope it didn't come off as hostile/arrogant.
not at all brutha.... I don't mind at all if someone corrects me. I'd rather learn something than be viewed as a moron in front of everyone else.

But, yeah... I was just trying to remember from something I read. It included that little exerpt that you posted, but it was much longer, gave much more detail. ....but, yeah... I remember a lot of useless information... but I can't be expected to remember it ALL.

I thought it was kinda backwards logic when I first heard of using WD40 on a car... I always thought it was a minor solvent.... and I guess it is in some respects, but I didn't realize it's intent was to displace water and protect metal surfaces. I'll see if I can find the article I read... it listed all kinds of uses for it.... like on a hard wood floor, or tile or linoleum.... it will leave a surface that looks wet, but is not slick at all.... and it will keep it from getting as dirty as fast. it's wierd stuff.

added later:

this isn't the site I was talkin' about, but here's a link with tips for all kinds of uses.
http://www.wd40jobsite.com/secret_search.cfm?c=&q=&s=51

Ah.... found it... on the same site.
http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html
Old 9/23/05 | 09:43 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by clintoris@September 23, 2005, 10:23 AM
not at all brutha.... I don't mind at all if someone corrects me. I'd rather learn something than be viewed as a moron in front of everyone else.

But, yeah... I was just trying to remember from something I read. It included that little exerpt that you posted, but it was much longer, gave much more detail. ....but, yeah... I remember a lot of useless information... but I can't be expected to remember it ALL.

I thought it was kinda backwards logic when I first heard of using WD40 on a car... I always thought it was a minor solvent.... and I guess it is in some respects, but I didn't realize it's intent was to displace water and protect metal surfaces. I'll see if I can find the article I read... it listed all kinds of uses for it.... like on a hard wood floor, or tile or linoleum.... it will leave a surface that looks wet, but is not slick at all.... and it will keep it from getting as dirty as fast. it's wierd stuff.
added later:

this isn't the site I was talkin' about, but here's a link with tips for all kinds of uses.
http://www.wd40jobsite.com/secret_search.cfm?c=&q=&s=51

Ah.... found it... on the same site.
http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html
AH! the learning continues!!Good stuff. Thanks