Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Giving up smoking

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/04, 04:13 PM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, after 15 years, it has finally become the time to quit. Day one is almost over and it has been hard! I didn't realise what a routine I had got myself into. Anyway, day 1 over as I said, let's see what little challenges tomorrow brings

Bare with me, I am going to beat it this time!!! :nono:
Old 8/31/04, 04:21 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are stronger than I. Excellent luck to you. B)
Last week I quit twice
The week before 3x.
Still no success- When I get crabby its time for a visit to the shop a snack.
Old 8/31/04, 04:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Good luck and best wishes James

EDIT: After reading Merlots reasons not too, I have some. Our technology teacher gave us some good ones today. He used to work in a factory getting tobaco ready to be cut and put into the cigarettes. He said that they would run bales of tobaco through magnets to take out any metal that was in the bale. He said that they found coins, a pair of shoes, money, jewelry, buttons, all sorts of metal bars and other objects. Anything they didn't find, went into the cigarettes. He also said that when they would clean out from under the steamer (which softens the tobaco) they would find at least 5000 roaches as big as your pinky finger. And you know they didn't just stay under those machines either. Just a little goading for ya.
Old 8/31/04, 05:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by jgsmuzzy@August 31, 2004, 4:16 PM
Well, after 15 years, it has finally become the time to quit. Day one is almost over and it has been hard! I didn't realise what a routine I had got myself into. Anyway, day 1 over as I said, let's see what little challenges tomorrow brings

Bare with me, I am going to beat it this time!!! :nono:
well James, CONGRADULATIONS!

Let me see if I can give you a little incentive. First of all, a pack of smokes here in Canada is about $10.00 a pack. {average} If the average person smokes a pack a day, that's $70.00 a week. If your married and your spouse also smokes, that's $140.00 a week. That's $560.00 a month. If there is 5 weeks in that month, that means it cost you $700.00. There's your new 05 Mustang! But if that hasn't persuaded you, maybe this will. Imagine getting esophagus cancer, having your stomach, and throat cut open, and having your stomach pulled up so you can swallow food {due from smoking} Then your cancer surgeon congratulates you because your one of the very very few that made it . Sounds a little gory, does'nt it. Well it happened to me, so, if I can persuade you to put them down I'm going to do it. That's day 1. Hope you have many more. Do whatever it takes, supposing you have to start over numerous times. CONGRADULATIONS! AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
Old 9/1/04, 01:09 AM
GTR Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I hope you can make it.

And here's another reason to quit--my father died from a massive heart attack caused by the damage nicotine can do to the heart. He was a life-long smoker.

He had the attack in a doctor's office and they still couldn't save him because the damage was so sever. He went to the doctor because he had flu-like symptons that morning--which appearently were really the early warning signs of the attack.
Old 9/1/04, 05:32 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Hows it going on day 2?
Getting better?
Tips appreciated..
Old 9/1/04, 06:44 AM
GTR Member

Originally posted by EleanorsMine@September 1, 2004, 7:35 AM
Hows it going on day 2?
Getting better?
Tips appreciated..
Getting worse. I think I might have been kinda hard on one of the people that works for me for what was a little mistake........better go and apologise.

Nearly gave in when driving to work. all the shops were calling to me "We have cigarettes.........we have cigarettes"!!

But, day 2, so far so good.

Thanks for asking April.

James
Old 9/1/04, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

My wife quit several times before she actually quit. Day 3 was the worst every time. From day 4 and on it gets better.

Good luck!

Did you go cold turkey or patches or zyban... what is your method?

2 pack a day smoker here. If I can quit, I can get me an 05
Old 9/1/04, 10:20 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by stock01gt@September 1, 2004, 11:12 AM
My wife quit several times before she actually quit. Day 3 was the worst every time. From day 4 and on it gets better.

Good luck!

Did you go cold turkey or patches or zyban... what is your method?

2 pack a day smoker here. If I can quit, I can get me an 05
If James is strong enough to do it, We should be too. Anyone else up for being strong enough to quit?(Just not today, I have to work). Maybe those of us who are too weak(and love a good smoke) could benefit from a support thing?
I heard using step 2 of the patch and gum together works better than one full strength one. I also heard you can flush out the nicotine in your body with a ton of water for the first few days.
I get crabby around hour six. Two days is my longest streak.
Old 9/1/04, 12:58 PM
Cobra Member

I'll join you guys, difficult as it may be.

Does sheer willpower work?
Old 9/1/04, 01:17 PM
Cobra Member

My boss at work quit smoking a few months ago. Heh, come to think of it, she's from England. Just outside London, I think.

Anyway, she just made everyone she came in contact with on a normal basis hold her accountable. We couldn't let her take smoke breaks and had to make sure she didn't have a pack of smokes with her when she came to work.

Good luck!
Old 9/1/04, 01:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I was a big time smoker until I went to Army journalism school. The assignment: write an editorial.

Being kind of a rebel, I was going to do a pro-smoking piece. Then I did the research, and learned that 400,000 Americans quit every year.

By dropping dead.

So with that, I decided to stop doing myself harm just to prove I didn't give a **** what people said.

If anyone needs some encouragement, visit www.thetruth.com

And good luck, it will be the coolest thing you ever do, next to driving a Mustang
Old 9/1/04, 02:12 PM
GT Member

Art, Thanks for that! I'm trying to get my Son to quit! I'm going to get him to read that! Mark
Old 9/1/04, 08:53 PM
GT Member

Good Luck to you! Its tough, but gets easier. Trust me. For me it will be 2 years this coming January 15th. I quit cold turkey. The withdrawals stink for the first week or so. Then its more mental than physical. Drink lots of water to flush out your system.

I gained some weight that I am still trying to lose since I quit smoking. Thats the only drawback

I feel 100 times better than I did when I smoked. No more morning cough!

Good luck, and hang in there. The craving goes away after like 10 minutes max. Just hold out when they hit.
Old 9/1/04, 09:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

congrats on day 2 James. I will be watching for day 3.
Old 9/1/04, 09:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 95 S-351 R-Code@September 1, 2004, 2:15 PM
Art, Thanks for that! I'm trying to get my Son to quit! I'm going to get him to read that! Mark
Mark--- get your son to take this test. put 20-25 cigarettes{roughly 1 pack} in a large jar half filled with water. Let stand for about 3 weeks. Then ask him if he would like to have a drink? I bet his answer is NO! Then say to him"Well that's what you are putting in your system in 1 day. Can you imagine 365 days?
Old 9/1/04, 09:51 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Good luck everyone that is trying to quit. I've had friends quit and going cold-turkey is by far the best way. Just tough it out.
Old 9/2/04, 05:37 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Soooooooo

Its day 3- How's it going?
Old 9/2/04, 05:42 AM
GTR Member

Not to good..... :hiding: ......had a little relapse.... ......hate myself just now...... ......giving up again now.................

Take 2 ACTION!

I reckon we start a new support thread as April suggested and have a mass giving up session! if a load of people do it and can talk to each other about it, it makes it easier apparently.
Old 9/2/04, 05:54 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Not that I have quit- I am a weakling.
BUT..

If everyone who wanted to quit had a place to talk and get discouraged from starting again. (Its impossible, I go to quit, and the shop a snack is just 3 minutes out, sooooo easy to go pick up a pack when the going gets rough).

I must say though, if nothing else the patch gives you excellent dreams at night.

Quick Reply: Giving up smoking