Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Ever caused a wreck? Or narrow miss?

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/04, 05:19 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yesterday I took off to the post office to mail some ebay stuff, then I was going to the bank and to get some stuff for my latest Lucy and Ethel Scheme. One the way up to the main road I realized I had left my downstairs heater on, and decided to go home and turn it off.
Right before where I decided to turn around is a nice Dukes of Hazzard (fun to jump in no traffic) like railroad crossing. So I stick my turn signal on.....Wait for traffic to clear, and just as I am making the turn so I can turn around and go home-- I hear BAAAAAAAAAAAAANG, SQUEEEEEEEEAL! BOOM!

I finished the turn as I was looking back- behind where I just was- some gooberbrain had Dukes of Hazzarded the train tracks, and slammed into the two cars that were just behind me(needless, they were doing nothing wrong as was I). Speed limit there is 35- they had to have been flying.

Their engine was up in the dash, the car in the middle was smashed on both ends and the one that had been behind me had a crushed in rear bumper.Antifreeze everywhere! I missed it by the skin of my teeth. I now know you don't know how greatful you are for what you have until you nearly lose it. Hitter was a SPANKING NEW Nissan who hit a kia and escape.

So all hades proceeds to break loose, ponch and John show up(we have 2 bike cops), and every other cop in Alabaster and Fire and Rescue.....you name it..........I had to stay till the cops showed up, the women who hit everyone were insane hysterical. Very glad me and my car are fine, and the two cars full of ladies behind me were not seriously hurt.

Needless, I feel a lot more fortunate with what I have than I did yesterday morning.
Old 11/30/04, 05:59 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Thank Goodness no one was hurt. Puts new meaning to the "wreck the Alero" jokes. Glad you were not involved and that you still have a car to drive this morning.
Old 11/30/04, 06:22 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

DONT wreck the alero-----
Or hit it with a deer like I nearly did last weekend.........
Snowflake(yes I named her too) my dear has to stay pristine till July when shes paid off.

I figured out what I am doing wrong in the Eleanor scheme, the Alero figures heavily now. HAVE to keep it for now. Its apparently meant to be, plus this hurdle keeps me from buying an auto without IUP. I am more fine than I have been in months.
Old 11/30/04, 07:02 AM
GTR Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, this sort of goes in this topic....

My wife had the misfortune of being the victim of a "hit & run" deer.
That's right -- the deer HIT her car!

It happen just two lots away form our house. We live in a rural area surrounded by woods and farm fields, so there are way too many deer.
(Had two deer scare my youngest son yesterday afternoon, walking to the house from the bus stop. As he walked around the garage to the back door, two deer eating at our bird feeder--which is just 3 foot from the back door--leaped past him into the yard. Now thats getting a little too close to the house. They almost knocked him over.)

...Anyways, it was just after sunset and she sees a deer jump out in front of the car. She slams on the brakes and just misses the deer. But wait, there's a second, STUPID deer, which apparently cannot see her stopped car and plows into the driver side fender. Then it flips over and pancakes on the hood, but it's not done yet. Now in tumbles on to the top of the right fender and finally falls onto the road. It gets up, and stares at her for a few seconds, then runs off into the woods.

So now her car has two slammed fenders and a crumpled hood, but no broken glass or even any broken light lenses. This was a fun one explaining to the insurance company that we we the victim of a hit & run deer.

You can probably guess, we are not big fans of Bambi and friends.
Old 11/30/04, 07:07 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's mad!

get your deerstalker hat on and bag some venison! hasn't the season just started?
Old 11/30/04, 07:12 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Oh yum!

And may I add the perfect recipe?

Take your tenderlion in strips, lay jalapenos in it, Roll it up into a roll, wrap it in bacon and throw on the BBQ. You will never eat something better.

Or even roll the cubes in flour and fry it up- heaven!!
Old 11/30/04, 07:14 AM
GTR Member

Yep, the season just started here in Maryland, but there are too many houses in our area, about a 100 lots and the deer seem to be smart enough to hang out in the safety zone areas between houses or close to the roads. Can't "legally" hunt in those areas.

I have told my oldest son that he can use his paintball gun on them, maybe he can scare a few to death. (Or mark them with orange and blue paints so they will be easier to spot.)
Old 11/30/04, 07:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

That happens all the time here in NC where we have chopped down the forests for suburbs, angry dear rushing from the forests on the site of the road in attempts to destroy our vehicles.

Last year I went out to the "boon docks" to drag the mustang around fast in a "I'm racing myself" type of fashion. I came across an open field where there was one dear (maybe an 8 point buck) standing on the side of the road.

I locked up the brakes to a near stop and began to creap past him, the whole time there was a feel of like a Mexican standoff as I began to pass, chanting, dont hit my car, dont hit my car.

Just when I got close enough to hit that he could attempt it, the punk did! He lunged at the stang at full force, and I slammed on the gas and did an S curve to provide a near miss. I had the girlfriend at the time in the car she was up in arms because she couldn't believe that the thing sat and waited to try and hit the car.

Stupid yes, but they are out to kill our cars.
Old 11/30/04, 07:47 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Blip@November 30, 2004, 8:05 AM
Well, this sort of goes in this topic....

My wife had the misfortune of being the victim of a "hit & run" deer.
That's right -- the deer HIT her car!

It happen just two lots away form our house. We live in a rural area surrounded by woods and farm fields, so there are way too many deer.
(Had two deer scare my youngest son yesterday afternoon, walking to the house from the bus stop. As he walked around the garage to the back door, two deer eating at our bird feeder--which is just 3 foot from the back door--leaped past him into the yard. Now thats getting a little too close to the house. They almost knocked him over.)

...Anyways, it was just after sunset and she sees a deer jump out in front of the car. She slams on the brakes and just misses the deer. But wait, there's a second, STUPID deer, which apparently cannot see her stopped car and plows into the driver side fender. Then it flips over and pancakes on the hood, but it's not done yet. Now in tumbles on to the top of the right fender and finally falls onto the road. It gets up, and stares at her for a few seconds, then runs off into the woods.

So now her car has two slammed fenders and a crumpled hood, but no broken glass or even any broken light lenses. This was a fun one explaining to the insurance company that we we the victim of a hit & run deer.

You can probably guess, we are not big fans of Bambi and friends.
Since we are kinda talking about Deers here. A Deer went to the local nursing home and jumped through the window of an elderly lady's room. It about gave her a heart attack. It was hunting season there. I guess they go all out on escaping.
Old 11/30/04, 08:17 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 11/30/04, 09:02 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Chuck, its time for Bambi to be made into Jerky.
Old 11/30/04, 10:21 AM
GTR Member

James--great picture! I think I've seen that buck behind my house!.
He probably wants to take my vert.

Rob--I like Deer sausage and burgers too.
Old 11/30/04, 10:30 AM
Queen Of Nascar

I don't drive my new car much at night for that same reason. They are everywhere here too and are not scared of much. Everytime I leave I say a little prayer that they stay in the woods. I like the paintball idea just don't send them south.
Old 11/30/04, 05:33 PM
Cobra Member

Did ya hear about the one that got into Midway Airport? (or was it O'Hare...?)

Stupid deer...same spelling as singular and plural...come on
Old 11/30/04, 08:24 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I had one instance where I was driving down the 400 in Barrie,
Drove over a piece of flat metal (sheetmetal or a license plate, couldn't tell) and it kicked up and hit the car behind me in the windshield.
Looked back and the car swerved and pulled over.

So that is a yes to the question
Old 11/30/04, 08:47 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Once when we were on the NJ turnpike at Christmas going to NY a chunk of ice flew off the top of an 18 wheeler and slammed into our windshield. It took it out, and we had to drive 3 hours like that. That blew.
Old 11/30/04, 09:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 668 Likes on 542 Posts
I didn't cause a wreck, but I did cause a ticket.

I was driving in the leftmost lane of the freeway headed out of town. There are CLEARLY marked signs saying that the semis can't be runnin' in that lane all day long, from 6am-6pm. Traffic issues. Works great, overall.

Anyway, what's comes up behind me at 11am? A big rig. I'm in front of him, he's blocked in by a couple of slower moving cars, and he's gaining on me (as they tend to do, of course. I'm also penned in, but passing, some slower cars.)

I'm thinkin' to myself "ya know, he ougtn't be in that lane AND speeding. I think I'll just not care so much about gettin' outta his way."

He's gaining, and gaining. I'm not intimidated by them. It's their insurance, after all... I don't change my speed one bit. He's stuck now, but we're inchin' by the slower traffic on the right.

Now, JUST as I'm getting past the line of slower cars on my right, and am thinking about moving over to let speedybritches on through, we pass a Houston Police Officer who's parked on the left shoulder.

Vroom by the cop goes me. WHOOSH by the cop goes the semi. Flashing lights ensue, and sure enough, that cop does what he needed to, stops that semi.

Now, I feel I caused it 'cause I didn't speed up. I loved it. Speeding in the wrong lane, nice jorb there. Yay me. Although I really don't know if a ticket ensued, but it sure felt nice. Why? All that metal and they speed. I know they gotta get to point B, but mass plus inerta plus airbrakes can equal a messy pulpy ending for someone. So do I feel bad? Nope. More like triumphant.

Anyway, that's my story on that.
Old 12/1/04, 08:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Ive only caused one car accident. Fender bender going up a hill iwth the sun in my eyes. I did not see the guy infront of me stoping :bang:

Dont get me started on the other 20 or so accidents I have been in and were not my fault
Old 12/1/04, 06:59 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I once had a wreck that was so creepy scary the engine came to rest in the empty passenger seat... That total wreck was nearly a hundred grand in damage. If that was burnout I would have gotten a prize.