Search this Thread

Old 7/28/06, 03:51 PM
The Man... keeping you down.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ever been to a Stealership?

News Link

NewsChannel 5 Investigates:
Dealership Doesn't Like Deal, Takes Car Back

Car dealers are often the butt of jokes. But one local truck buyer is not laughing about the deal that he got -- and lost. Consumer advocates say this case raises lots of questions about how a well-known auto dealer does business.

Earl Kieselhorst thought he owned a 2003 Chevy Silverado -- a truck that he bought from Bill Heard Chevrolet in Antioch. Kieselhorst says he "paid cash for it. Made the deal. Sales manager signed off on it. Signed all the paperwork. And drove off."
Hetraded in his car and gave the dealer a check for $8,100.

"I have the keys," Kieselhorst tells NewsChannel 5 investigative reporter Jennifer Kraus.
But he doesn't have his truck.
Bill Heard does.
"I can't see any reason why this wouldn't be my car," he adds.

Just one day after he bought the truck,a salesman from Bill Heard called to say the dealership was having second thoughts about the deal. He told Kieselhorst that ifhewanted to keep his truck, he needed to fork over another $10,000 -- something he refused to do. After all, he says, they had a signed deal. But the next morning, when Kieselhorst woke up, his truck was gone.

"And I was like I can't believe it," he recalls.
The dealership had come and taken it in the middle of the night.
"I've got a contract. This is a legal contract. I don't know what to say. I don't know what to say."

Metro police investigated and wanted to file charges against Bill Heard for stealing the truck. Detective Ray Paris gota statement from Bill Heard, blaming a rookie salesman for what happened and calling it a mistake. (Read the statement given to police by Bill Heard.) "They inadvertently sold the vehicle at a lower cost than what they should have," Paris says. Kathleen Calligan says the Better Business Bureau has received literallyhundreds and hundreds of similar complaints about the Bill Heard dealership -- more complaints by far than any other auto dealer in all of Middle Tennessee.
"Not only is this an unbelievable volume of complaints, most of them are unresolved," she adds. Calligan says that,in this day and age,dealers know exactly how much a vehicle is worth. And if a dealership truly does make a mistake, she says they'll take the loss -- rather than call the customer and demand he make up the difference.
"There is absolutely no reason for a sale not to be final when the customer walks out of the dealership," Calligan adds.

Yet even after Bill Heard had taken back the truck, the salesman called Kieselhorst again. "He calls me back and offers to sell it to me for $11,000 more thanI paid for it," Kieselhorstrecalls.
Kieselhorst said no way.

And even though he still believes he is the rightful owner of the truck, when we went looking for it at Bill Heard, we found a customer checking it out. It was for sale, the customer and a saleswoman told us.

"The whole thing has just gotten more and more ridiculous," Kieselhorst says.
And now the self-proclaimed largest Chevrolet dealership in the world is accusing Kieselhorst of "trying to pull a fast one" on them.
"This is the way this company does business," Calligan says. "They really thought they would be able to pull a fast one on their customer."

After we tried to get their side for days, Bill Heard faxed us a statement just before air time,saying that Kieselhorst "should have known" that the deal he got was too good to be true.
The company says: "It is not reasonable or fair to expect for Bill Heard Chevrolet ...to be bound by a sale where a clear and material mistake was made, and the customer was aware that it was a mistake."

Kieselhort says he just thought Bill Heard was giving him the type of good deal they advertise. As for the police investigation, the DA says this is a civil case, not a criminal case.He says Kieselhorst is free to take the dealer to court -- something he's now seriously considering.
I just don't see how this is not Grand Theft Auto on the dealerships part. Also, why did the dealer have a spare key to the truck anyway? Makes you wonder about your local dealer, doesn't it?

Oh, if you would like to call and express your disgust with the dealers actions you can call them here:

Bill Heard Chevrolet of Antioch
1-800-290-9948
Old 7/28/06, 03:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
wow....How could they just up and steal the car like that? WOW...

If what the Dealer says is true, it DOES sould like that the consumer took andvantage of the situation....but hey, if the sales manager sighned off on it....its his fault...not the salesman's
Old 7/28/06, 04:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do believe that if the sales manager signed off on a Shelby for $1 to me, that car is mine or we go to court.
Old 7/28/06, 04:55 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
How can this not be a criminal case????
They STOLE his truck. Unbeleiveable..now this guy is gonna have to fork over a load of cash for a lawyer to fight for him and if he does win i can bet they will do something to the truck to make it a junker.
Old 7/28/06, 05:49 PM
Cobra Member

What a load of horse****.

I think somebody needs to pay that dealership an overnight visit with a 3-iron.
Old 7/28/06, 05:57 PM
FR500 Member

Wow, that literally is a "stealership". Sounds more like a scam than a sale (think holding the vehicle hostage in exchange for more money). You'd think if it had that many complaints, they'd have gone out of business long ago or been hit hard with the lawsuits already. What's up with that?
Old 7/28/06, 08:25 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I am at a loss of words.
Old 7/28/06, 09:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

If I bought a car there and paid 20k more then it was worth and called them the next day demanding a refund for the overcharge, what would they tell me? A deal is a deal. The dealership stole that car.
Old 7/28/06, 09:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 1200custom
If I bought a car there and paid 20k more then it was worth and called them the next day demanding a refund for the overcharge, what would they tell me? A deal is a deal. The dealership stole that car.
Case in Point: 2007 Ford Shelby GT500
Old 7/28/06, 10:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Grand theft auto ! could you see NO I can;t , that if a court ruled in favor of that dealer , would it not then set a president for other dealers to take all our cars away ? thanks for the 1-800 on that.
Old 7/29/06, 10:26 AM
The Man... keeping you down.

Looks as if the jackassery has started in and I love it:

Originally Posted by Seb @ CC.com
Ok, so I'm calling up:

"Hi, this is Sebastian with CCOnline, the Online Car Enthusiast resource, we've heard a disturbing story that you sold someone a car, then refused to honor the deal and stole the car back from the guy's house. Is that true?"

"Uhm, let me ask my boss if we can give you this really awesome comment on this." (I **** you not, that was her exact phrasing--I guess maybe they had a prepared comment or something?)

She comes back--"Sir, I'm sorry, we can't comment."

"Well, sorry to hear that."

Ok, somebody else think of a fake name for a publication and call them. See if you get the same result. I was on hold before anyone picked up for a couple minutes, my guess is this is getting passed around the interweb and they're getting bombed with calls. That'll make em think twice about screwing someone.
I ust called the dealership... I asked them if I bought a new vehicle today, would they come and steal it back tomorrow? They replied if I wrote them a bad check they would. The other side of the story perhaps?
Old 8/3/06, 12:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ScottyBoy302
What a load of horse****.

I think somebody needs to pay that dealership an overnight visit with a 3-iron.
Aye, that's my que to start smahin' & bashin'!

This is unbelievable.
Old 8/3/06, 04:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

nightmare situation
Old 8/9/06, 08:04 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wowsers

that really bites
Old 8/10/06, 03:31 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We have a "Trading Standards" law here, that if you advertise a productat a certain price, you HAVE to honour it by law. Hence why when Dell made a mistake on their website selling P4 Desktops for £49.99 instead of £499.99, they had to honour deals on the 100 machines sold in the two hours it took them to fix the problem on their website. The US needs a law like that, the dealer would never have got away with it here.

(Yay, there is one thing that is better here, to offset the 500000 bad things!)
Old 8/10/06, 06:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jgsmuzzy
We have a "Trading Standards" law here, that if you advertise a productat a certain price, you HAVE to honour it by law. Hence why when Dell made a mistake on their website selling P4 Desktops for £49.99 instead of £499.99, they had to honour deals on the 100 machines sold in the two hours it took them to fix the problem on their website. The US needs a law like that, the dealer would never have got away with it here.

(Yay, there is one thing that is better here, to offset the 500000 bad things!)
Would that still apply as it was not an advertised price, but a negotiated deal?
Old 8/10/06, 07:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Take the thing for a test drive and keep it at home. It's not like your stealing a truck you have a clear title to! Plus, you could take it to another dealer and trade it in on a truck. Let them steal another dealer's truck!
Old 8/13/06, 03:24 PM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MY05GT
Would that still apply as it was not an advertised price, but a negotiated deal?
Yep, if you have it in writing, it is a legal deal. The dealer would not have a leg to stand on.