Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

DMV Suspension Rules Questions

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/06, 10:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In March of 05' I got two tickets....one was 1 point and the other 2 points.

The courts suspended my license for 60 days in May. DMV sent me a letter saying..."with 3 points....you are close to getting a DMV suspension. be careful, this is a warning"

In october of 05' I was hit by a guy on the freeway. The police came out and took a report. I was found not at fault. I have a letter from AAA (my insurance) stating this.

Last month, i was hit my a girl running a red light and the police did not take a report. Our insurance companies handled it and I was found not at fault. I have a letter from AAA (my insurance) stating this.

Today, I received a letter from DMV saying they are suspending my license for 6 months, and they attached my driving record. The two tickets from March were on there (which I expected, as I got a warning letter from them last year) but also the accident in October of 05, and it showed 1 point. SO according to DMV I have 4 points instead of the same 3 I have had since March of 05.

My question is....can DMV count an accident I was found 0% fault in against me, and suspend my license? Obviously the 2 tickets weren't enough because they sent me a warning letter. This accident in Oct. of 05 caused them to take action.

I JUST got my car back from the repair shop last night....so this is perfect timing. Anyone have any experience in this? I can and will request a hearing with the DMV. And from their website...it says Any "at fault" accident is normally counted as 1 point.

Am I missing something...or is this a case of some one screwed up and gave me a point when they shouldn't have?
Old 2/28/06, 08:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like when they filed the accident they marked "at fault" even though you really weren't. With the paperwork you have they should be able to correct that.

If that doesn't work, show 'em your dress. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
Old 2/28/06, 08:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man that sucks, here we get something like 15 points before suspension. Hope you can get it worked out.