Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Cameras to catch red light runners.

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/05, 06:01 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Treadhead@December 31, 2004, 8:55 PM
As long as that mountain of evidence contains absolute photographical proof of who was driving I have no problem with it. I also recall reading about a study to lengthen the time of the yellow light which cut down on the number of red light violations. I don't remember the exact details of though. I also read somewhere that some city with red light cameras had shortened the yellow light which was getting alot of extra red light runners but it was of course caused by a "malfunction " or something.
I am for it also, but only if you can prove who is driving. We were in San Fransisco last year driving my boyfriends brothers vehicle and must have accidently ran a red light and anyway we were already back at home and he received a ticket in the mail. He went to court and ended up not having to pay. Probably claimed "Dumb Tourists". B)
Old 1/1/05, 01:03 PM
GT Member

People do it WAY too much here, and it annoys me to no end. I was almost hit by a moron doing about 50 last week leaving work because he didn't have the intelligence to distinguish between red and green. I may be over-cautious, but it is never worth the risk just to get somewhere sooner. Bring on the cameras. Every light if they can, and I am sure if the owner gets a ticket, they will notify whoever borrowed their car that day. Sorry, sore subject with me....
Old 1/4/05, 03:29 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We have them everywhere, it is very rare you see someone running a red light because a £60 ($115) smarts a bit when you get it slapped on you!
Here, they also send the ticket to the registered owner of the vehicle, it is up to them to pony up and then chase whoever was driving. Moral of the story, do not let anyone drive your car!!
Old 1/4/05, 03:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree that running red lights is a problem, but I don't think the red-light camera is a way to solve it. My main beef is that its not the driver you're ticketing, but the car owner/register. This goes for speeding cameras, too. You're not punishing the offender. What's next? Getting tried for murder because someone used your gun?

And there have been proven finding that cities with red-light cameras decrease the yellow light time so that more people get caught running red lights. Why? Cash flow.

Further, as much as I respect the police, I think tools like the radar gun similar devices make them tools of laziness. Drives me nuts that some are slaves to the radar gun and don't really seem to care about other driving offenses other than over the speed limit. Just park under a shade tree and stare at a readout. It doesn't become enforcing the law and making the public safe, it becomes a revenue generator.
Old 2/24/05, 02:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/legi...0982601.htm?1c
House OKs ban on red light camera tickets

The Associated Press

AUSTIN - The Texas House on Thursday overwhelmingly approved a bill prohibiting cities from using cameras to issue citations for red light runners.

Rep. Gary Elkins, R-Houston, the bill's sponsor, said the practice increases rear-end collisions and serves as a moneymaking mechanism for cities.

Proponents argued that using the cameras decreases red light running and side-impact accidents.

"No one is for anybody running a red light, and no one is for anyone getting hurt or killed by a red light runner," Elkins said.

A bill passed in 2003 allowed cities to issue both civil and criminal tickets for traffic violations. The city of Garland issues civil tickets to red light runners caught on camera. In December, the Houston City Council voted to put cameras in up to 50 intersections to catch red light violators.

Republican Rep. Joe Driver of Garland said use of the cameras in his hometown has reduced red light running by 20 percent and injury accidents in the city by 80 percent. He also said using cameras to catch violators frees up polices officers to catch criminals.

The ban passed by a vote of 109-30. The bill must be approved a second time by the House, pass the Senate and be signed by the governor before it becomes law.

The red light bill is HB259.
YES!!!! House votes to ban cameras!!!
Old 2/25/05, 02:37 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm for it. Being the father of two girls, if I get a ticket in the mail, I guaranty that there will be some justice handed out then!