Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Andy, Fire training this saturday..

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/05, 07:16 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
We are going through our fire control stuff regarding car fires and other misc. things. Maybe some HAZMAT stuff as well.

We will be burning and maybe exploding a old chevy corsica. They've already got bets on whether or not I can get the piercing nozzle through the burning hood in one hit or not.

May also be a propane cylinder exploded as well.

I am hopeing to get video of all the fun.
Old 7/14/05, 07:18 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds like fun

can i come?
Old 7/14/05, 07:20 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Originally posted by future9er24@July 14, 2005, 8:21 AM
sounds like fun

can i come?

sure. I live deep in the woods and i have many ways to dispose of a body. If I start getting anonymous envelopes with money in them, and it says to take Arin out... dont hold it personal, its just business.
Old 7/14/05, 07:22 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds awesome Scott! ... The taking out of Arin, I mean

No, but yea, blowing up a Corsica is gonna be awesome, make sure to take video of that suker
Old 7/14/05, 07:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Awesome!! Most people don't understand that most firefighters are pyro's Practicing on vehicle fires was always my favorite. Everything is a science. The less damaged caused is the best I think you can get the piercing nozzle in one hit. We had one on 312 (our first due piece) It worked great on quite a few occassions.

When I went through training with a dept. I used to run with up in Allentown, we did a freeburn in a burn building. Well our Capt. who had a tendency to be a bit nuts had the ceiling temp up to 1400 degrees and the floor up to 900 degrees according to the outside temp meter.

The station photographer was sitting there trying to get a pic of us in action and said "Now hold still a sec guys."

Now mind you that our knees are killing us because of the heat. (I know, I should have been duckwalking ) So we're sitting there going "Take the picture Lou!!!!"

I got some nice blisters on my knees after that. But I learned not to crawl on my knees again!
Old 7/14/05, 07:34 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

I havent gotten to go into a structure yet, but I am waiting. Been learning about the different class fires and also how to handle various stuff that we would encounter in our area (gas lines, wells, really old not to code spec houses, etc..). There is an old camp with about 10 houses that no one lives in and they lately have been mysteriously burning up. We think the owner is doing insurance jobs on them. Maybe we can talk him into donating them to us to burn and he can write it off.

Oh you are 110% correct, firemen are pryo freaks!

I think I can do it in one hit, although some of the know-it-all's who think they are gods gift to everything think they can do it when no one else can. Chief just sorta chuckled and said I had first dibs. I think he wants to shut them up by letting the new guy show em up.
Old 7/14/05, 07:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Scothew@July 14, 2005, 9:37 AM
I havent gotten to go into a structure yet, but I am waiting. Been learning about the different class fires and also how to handle various stuff that we would encounter in our area (gas lines, wells, really old not to code spec houses, etc..). There is an old camp with about 10 houses that no one lives in and they lately have been mysteriously burning up. We think the owner is doing insurance jobs on them. Maybe we can talk him into donating them to us to burn and he can write it off.

Oh you are 110% correct, firemen are pryo freaks!

I think I can do it in one hit, although some of the know-it-all's who think they are gods gift to everything think they can do it when no one else can. Chief just sorta chuckled and said I had first dibs. I think he wants to shut them up by letting the new guy show em up.
Thats the way to do it If the line is uncharged it should be possible to get a good swing at the hood. If I can put a haligen bar through a hood you'll do just fine cause I'm a weakling

When did you start volunteering? I started when I was in HS so its been about 5 years for me now. Lots of people go "I'd love to do that but its too late." Fact is that the volunteer service is hurting so bad right now that its never too late.

I've been semi-happy with the dept. I'm at now. Thing is that these guys are kind of too wild for me. They really don't train at all and it scares me.

Anyway, theres another dept. a bit more down the road that needs evening help more than ever and from what I hear they are great. I'll probably be transferring there once I start my new job.
Old 7/14/05, 08:01 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

I dont know if the line is going to be charged or not. If it is, it may help as I can just get it over my head and have more weight pushing it down, but then again, thats ALOT of weight (1.5" hose)

I've only been doing it full time volunteer for about a month now. But i've been off and on for the past year and a half (i didnt live in the area anymore for a year). My grandad and uncle are highly involved and my mother is on the board so its sorta a family thing. There are some know it all's there who think they are untouchable, but there is alot of guys (and a few girls) who take it serious and want to do better.

Im to a point where i'm almost fed up with a few of the know it all's and at training i might just pop off at one of em if they keep up the attitude. Cheif wont say anything to them hardly because of the lack of man power we have. Sadly, on most calls, we only have 2-3 people show up.
Old 7/14/05, 08:07 AM
GT Member

Locally, the firemen and paramedics are known as the "Evidence Destruction Team". Not EMT...it is EDT. I worked major injury/fatality accidents for years, and no one can obliterate evidence like the guys in the big flashy trucks.

Piece of a car on the ground where it can be mapped and used to determine speed/point of impact? A fireman will kick it, or pick it up, guaranteed.

Have some trace evidence of tire skid where the road surface is just polished a tad? That's where the engine will park, and leak all over it.

Want to do crush testing on a front end? "Hey guys, lets rip the hood off and cut through everything in here just to find the battery cable!"

And then there is the post-triage debris to deal with. Baggies, paper off the backs of sticky bits, instructions for how to use the 'lifesaver2000superparamedictoolthingie', you name it. Its out there blowing around in the middle of all the other wreckage. Did this come off the wrecks, or the FD? Who knows?!?!?

Station 6's crew takes it upon themselves to sweep the roadways. I kid you not. All the glass and debris we need to do our reconstruction ends up in an old paint bucket on the back of their rig if we don't threaten to arrest them. Darn neat freaks!

We do appreciate you guys, but I swear it seems you try to make our lives more difficult, just to amuse yourselves!
Old 7/14/05, 08:15 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
you cannot do volunteer here, it's either a full time job or nothing, and as such is full of all the petty beauracracy that seems to plague all of our services at the moment...
Old 7/14/05, 08:15 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Sorry Joel. We usually dont have enough man power to play around that much :P
Old 7/14/05, 08:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

I agree that there are some stations like that but many of us do not operate in that matter. In fact, the police often have praised us for doing such a good job in maintaining evidence on scene. It really all depends on what training the FF's have.

I think it all comes down to how the department is run.
Old 7/14/05, 08:21 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wow (just read something in the other thread....forgot which one though) you guys are volaunteer fireman. crap, now i almost have respect for you :bang:

all that hatred flush

stupid scott, being something i cant hate anymore

i hate you

Old 7/14/05, 08:26 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

AHA!
Now I know which Cobra to target-
the one with fireman tags!

I screwed with a mystic for 20 minutes last Friday night before I realized I was playing with the wrong one.
Old 7/14/05, 08:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by future9er24@July 14, 2005, 10:24 AM
wow (just read something in the other thread....forgot which one though) you guys are volaunteer fireman. crap, now i almost have respect for you :bang:

all that hatred flush

stupid scott, being something i cant hate anymore

i hate you

You know Arin you can always join a dept. out in Cali.
Old 7/14/05, 08:27 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@July 14, 2005, 9:22 AM
I think it all comes down to how the department is run.

Our Cheif is a LT at a much larger city FDP. He knows about doing all of that.

I spent enough time with Birmingham PD to know better as well. Alot of the Sherriffs down here are lazy and if someone did acctually mess with evidence, they wouldnt care
Old 7/14/05, 08:31 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Originally posted by EleanorsMine@July 14, 2005, 9:29 AM
AHA!
Now I know which Cobra to target-
the one with fireman tags!

I screwed with a mystic for 20 minutes last Friday night before I realized I was playing with the wrong one.
Mine doesnt have fireman tags.

here's mine
Old 7/14/05, 08:32 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

My butts prettier than yours.
Old 7/14/05, 08:34 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Originally posted by EleanorsMine@July 14, 2005, 9:35 AM
My butts prettier than yours.
Thats a highly opinionated statement.

Now back to topic.
Old 7/14/05, 08:38 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Ok-I really need to learn!

In Oak Grove- You get the firetrucks and firehouse right?

So does that mean you get to respond to emergencies and have a legal reason to speed through town?

Quick Reply: Andy, Fire training this saturday..