Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

the 1980s........

Search this Thread

Old 6/20/05, 11:32 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember when Culture Club came out. I thought, "wow, that lead singer chick is kind of hot." Then I found out it was a guy. Then I thought, "wow, that guy would make a hot chick." Then I went and had my eyes checked. Yep, I needed glasses.

My first concert was Night Ranger in 1985 at the ripe old age of 13.

I had tons of GI Joes (the one with the rubber band for a spine) and tons of Star Wars toys. I played my Atari 2600 and didn't care that the McInerney's had an Intellivision, even though Demon Attack was much better on it. OH, and Bobby opened up a can when he got the Colecovision, but then again he was always spoiled.

I used to wear a 'Relax' t-shirt, but my favorite was my muscle 'flag of Great Britain' t-shirt that was predominantly worn by Def Leppard.

My friend Larry got me into Legos. That kid had a whole chest full of Legos. And also 'Bigfoot' mini trucks, that ran on ONE battery!?!? WOW!!

My friend Page had the collection of He-Man toys. He also had the Kracken from Clash of the Titans. The part with Medusa always scared me. But the Cannonball Run movies made me laugh.

New Coke was horrible. I took the Pepsi Challenge 5 times, 4 going to Pepsi, 1 to Coke.

I carried a boombox around, but didn't breakdance. I coveted a Michael Jackson Thriller jacket (they had them at Joslins, I swear!) but didn't get one.

I'll admit that I cried at E.T. I laughed with the Cosby Show, and I got pumped with Rambo.

Oh, the 80's. What a decade.
Old 6/20/05, 12:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I am a child of the 90's and am not ashamed. I got what I wanted from the 80's anyway, like video games, music & shows.
Old 6/20/05, 07:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

remember most of that - born '77. Perhaps more of a child or mid '80s and early '90's.

Frogger rules, never would have remembered Coleco without this thread - Atari all the way. "Where's the Beef?" still makes me laugh. Played with Transformers, G.I. Joe and Lego's all day long - great times, great times.

As far as the Brat Pack goes, my buddy gets mistaken for Anthony Michael Hall all the time - check out the Bullitt Remake thread for a pic.

I didn't even get through all of those posts above, but nice trip down memory lane.
Old 6/20/05, 11:23 PM
I'm people, and I like.

I'm in the same boat as Manny and Kera. A child during the 80's, and a pre- teen/teenager during the 90's
Old 6/21/05, 07:16 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

My kids are children of the whatever this is......the 0s?

I was born in the 70s but Don't remember nothin from the 70s- I consider growing up Jr. high and up- when you were old enough to enjoy fads.
Old 6/23/05, 09:08 AM

Talking

The 80's were so darn cool. I was born in 1984, and everyone tells me to this day i grew up in the wrong decade (90's). I wish I could have been a teenager in the 80's but, eh, what can I do? I dress in 80's clothes www.80stees.com , jam my 80's music proud, and own all my favorite 80's movies.

Some of my favorite 80's songs:

Eddie Money - Take me home tonight
Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone
When in Rome - The Promise
The Escape Club - I'll be there
Tears for Fears - Shout
Romantics - Talking in your Sleep
New Order - True Faith
Morris Day and the Time - Jungle Love
Milli Vanilli - Girl you know it's true
Corey Hart - Sunglasses at night
Cutting Crew - I just died in your arms tonight
Mr. Mister - Broken Wings
Old 6/23/05, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok April I'll go with "child" of the 90's but I'm an 80's "baby" til I die (that's what I tell everyone anyway). The parts I remember from the 80's rocked. Although the early 90's wasn't all that bad.

And besides my brother was born 72 so I think that's where all of my 80's stuff came from was growing up with him. Not that I'm complaining.

Laters guys
Old 6/23/05, 10:11 PM

Yep, I remember my video games. All made purely of cardboard and paper. We had to make our sound effects and all that good stuff. 1906 Was the year!!!! Good times...
Old 6/24/05, 07:01 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by kerafaith@June 23, 2005, 8:26 PM
Ok April I'll go with "child" of the 90's but I'm an 80's "baby" til I die (that's what I tell everyone anyway). The parts I remember from the 80's rocked. Although the early 90's wasn't all that bad.

And besides my brother was born 72 so I think that's where all of my 80's stuff came from was growing up with him. Not that I'm complaining.

Laters guys
Better to do that than grow up in the 90s. Ha your brother is about my age.
The 80s Rocked!
Only the 00s are getting better, and the 90s blew.