Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not going to be a z28 it's going to be an "hp edition" go GM lol
Old 1/20/11, 05:47 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fdjizm
It's not going to be a z28 it's going to be an "hp edition" go GM lol
The term HP edition was just the internal working title.
Old 1/20/11, 07:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
There has been more info leaked in the past week about the Z/28, including that they'll start building it in Jan 2012. Seems like quite a long time since they first started working on it, even after the bankruptcy.

I'm honestly not that worried about the Z28. I really think they did the name some injustice by going with the LSA powerplant. When they finally started the 5th gen Camaro, I thought they'd set things straight and go back to the "old school" nomenclature, and they did for the most part. A modern Z28 would be a great competitor for the Boss, not for the GT500. The LS7, adjustable suspension (not magnetic ride), and aggressive gear would have been a better choice to honor the name. Seems like they took the easy way out, used some off the shelf parts, stuck on some leftovers from the Transformers movies, and bam!, there's your Z28!

From what I've seen/heard/read, 2013 MY Mustangs are going to be pretty interesting. I can't wait to see what's in store.

I agree, no justice. It's not like they don't have the engines to work with. As I have a love for NA engines, I just ogle the Z06 with the 7.0L power plant as the most pure Corvette in the line up. Even if it wouldn't be the same as the original Z28, I would have liked to have seen the Z06 equivalent of the Camaro, a high performance V8 with more horse power than the SS, a little weight reduction, torsen diff, higher red line, new wheels, adj. suspension, etc..

I think Steve is right about taking the easy way. I think that's why so many people are confused as to why this project has taken so long given all the parts were readily available. Give a tuner the parts and within months, BAM, Camaro Z28.

As for my earlier point, it may not be a Boss equivalent but it'd be about what I could expect GM to do with a modern interpretation given the chassis and body that they already have. I at least think that would do more justice as a Z28 than what they have planned. Hell, still make the SC version, just make up a new moniker. Camaro SSX or GSX, heck, GNX for all I care, or just SS with an engine code like they used to do. SS ZL1, I don't care, I'm just making stuff up at this point.
Old 1/20/11, 11:11 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's sad when even Mustang fans are wishing GM would stop dropping the ball on things like their traditional performance trim level naming scheme.
As far as taking the easy way out with the LS7/LS9 vs LSA engines, it most likely boils down to cost.
Old 1/20/11, 11:15 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
It's sad when even Mustang fans are wishing GM would stop dropping the ball on things like their traditional performance trim level naming scheme.
As far as taking the easy way out with the LS7/LS9 vs LSA engines, it most likely boils down to cost.
That's absolutely what it comes down to. Same goes with having an auto as an option. It was significantly cheaper to use a large number of existing parts, minimize retooling, and get the product to market. Seems like that last part is tripping up GM just a bit though.
Old 1/20/11, 11:29 AM
MOTM Committee Member

I wonder what slims is going to do. This Z28 is going to take another full year before it hits the lots....
Old 1/20/11, 11:46 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I wonder what slims is going to do. This Z28 is going to take another full year before it hits the lots....
Everything I had first heard was that the Z28 would hit this July. If the 2013 hype is true, they'd get their 5 month head start until the refreshed products showed up next Jan. Now, waiting to show up at the same time gives them a tougher battle to fight, if all the hype is true about the '13.
Old 1/20/11, 12:24 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
Everything I had first heard was that the Z28 would hit this July. If the 2013 hype is true, they'd get their 5 month head start until the refreshed products showed up next Jan. Now, waiting to show up at the same time gives them a tougher battle to fight, if all the hype is true about the '13.
you refering to the '13 GT500?
Old 1/20/11, 12:37 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
He is
Old 1/20/11, 01:07 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
He is
ok that's what I thought. In that case I agree completely with his post. And if it all turns out like it appears now, GM will be ripped a new one when the Z/28 finally does hit the streets
Old 1/20/11, 01:18 PM
GTR Member

ok that's what I thought. In that case I agree completely with his post. And if it all turns out like it appears now, GM will be ripped a new one when the Z/28 finally does hit the streets
Yeah, I was referring to the '13 GT500 and whatever it brings.
Old 1/25/11, 06:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got time to take it all in. Besides GM hasn't fully tipped it's hand to see what/if it's going to be. I'm not even too sure that the pics of the mules out there are the "Z28" or something else that has been hinted. According to GM via email to dealers,

Information on the internet is not official.
It is often speculation, often from supposed insiders, and photos of cars thought to be a Z28. None of this is correct.

I'd hardly call that a confirmation.

Last edited by Slims00ls1z28; 1/25/11 at 08:41 PM.
Old 1/30/11, 08:46 PM

well we have the small boss for 2012 wonder what the big one could do
lots of options for the next top dog mustang. which one do you think it will be
supercharged 5.0
tt5.0
n/a big block
I am a huge boost fan but that dosnt mean i wont take a bad *** n/a motor.
Old 2/6/11, 05:08 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Did anybody mention yet there is the possiblity that the Z/28 (or possibly another name for the super camaro, ZL1 is reportedly being considered) will debut on 2/9 at the Chicago auto show?

Apparently GM has something big they are going to debut at the show.
Old 2/6/11, 08:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Did anybody mention yet there is the possiblity that the Z/28 (or possibly another name for the super camaro, ZL1 is reportedly being considered) will debut on 2/9 at the Chicago auto show?

Apparently GM has something big they are going to debut at the show.
It could be their response to the ford raptor
I think it was GMC comin uonwuth the "all-terrain" but chevy could have been bringin one out but keepin it under wraps. It would be fantastic to see the z/28 or whatever name their goin with debut at the show. If chevy says its big, its BIG
Old 2/7/11, 08:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5.0
It could be their response to the ford raptor
I think it was GMC comin uonwuth the "all-terrain" but chevy could have been bringin one out but keepin it under wraps. It would be fantastic to see the z/28 or whatever name their goin with debut at the show. If chevy says its big, its BIG
Because Chevy runs deep.
Old 2/7/11, 06:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Automagically

Because Chevy runs deep.
The only chevy im looking forward to is the next generation corvette. The roadster in transformers 3 looks out of this world! But its alot like the sterling moss mclaren benz, your head and face is completely exposed
Old 2/7/11, 08:04 PM
BOSS Member

Just remember, Ford doesn't have silly internal rules that says a car cannot outperform or have more HP than the Corvette. Camaro's about to get biten, again!
Old 2/8/11, 09:47 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
Just remember, Ford doesn't have silly internal rules that says a car cannot outperform or have more HP than the Corvette. Camaro's about to get biten, again!
I'd have to disagree there (Boss aside), look at the GT and GT500 - power isn't the issue so much as the handling. If Ford didn't care they would have fitted the gen2 GY super car tires across the board and the GT would have beat the GT500 in in overall handling.

Anyways, if anybody wants a preview of the Z/28's performance, just look at the CTS-V, the Camaro lacks the V's sophisitication, but the weight and HP are probably very close.

Besides a substantial weight difference, the vette has something else going for it that would prevent GM from dropping in the LS7 or LS9, both engines are prohibtively expensive for Camaro. The former would appease alot of Camaro guys, but that leaves the Z/28 ripe for something like an MY13 Mustang GT with a p/w ratio and handling that could eclipse the Z/28 stock, and the latter forces the Z/28 to use the LSA which comes with more conventional internals along with hypereutectic pistons limiting the amount of power the engine can safely put out.
Old 2/8/11, 04:32 PM
BOSS Member

Originally Posted by bob
I'd have to disagree there (Boss aside), look at the GT and GT500 - power isn't the issue so much as the handling. If Ford didn't care they would have fitted the gen2 GY super car tires across the board and the GT would have beat the GT500 in in overall handling.
It's not as simple as putting a set of tires on a car and calling it a day. There are other ride and handling aspects each vehicle has to prove out. So using your logic, why not just put Pirelli Corsa tires on all versions of the Mustang? Ride harshness, tire wear and suspension settings be damned, every Mustang will stick to the road no matter what.

BTW, the GT convertible does have the GY Supercar tires on it and I don't see it outperforming the Shelby convertible with the same tires. Those tires are not that great.

Quick Reply: Z/28 confirmed?