General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

What is your Def of a Ricer?

Search this Thread

Old 5/12/05, 01:57 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by KansasCityTim@May 12, 2005, 1:51 PM
Looks like the movement ***** once again moved another thread for apparently no reason. Do they do it because they're bored? What real harm is there in leaving them where they are?
Because this thread has nothing to do with a 2005 Mustang.
Old 5/12/05, 02:42 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by dswhalen@May 12, 2005, 11:51 AM
I started a conversation about rice challengers and many people got offended.

My def of a ricer is a japanese badged car no matter if it is made in the US or not. The profit goes back to Japan.

Ricer is also a car with a fart can on the tail pipe, a shopping cart handle on the trunk, and a dip-stick in a white hat (backwards) and an earring.

Since buying the M GT I've noticed a lot of ricers pulling up and spewing the fart can trying to get a race.

So what is your def of a ricer?
I think the definition for ricer will vary depending on who you are talking with. The second part in the title asks is it a racist term, how can anyone honestly not think it has racist overtones, come on "ricer" the connection is obvious even to the blindest person. I don't believe the term was started by some radical anti-asian group it's just a tag that has stuck. But it can definitely be construed as rascist by many people.

When live in a time where people have nothing better to do than monitor everything in our society and find something political incorrect about it. We've become a nation overly concerned about sensitivity and not sensibility.
Old 5/12/05, 02:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

bingo except for the ethnic thing
Old 5/12/05, 03:38 PM

Ok, I'm going to make this real easy. Rice means one thing and one thing only.

Ridiculous
Inappropriate
Cosmetic
Enhancement

Therefore, although it is most common to see Rice on Honda Civics or other Japanese imports, it can and does occur elsewhere including countless Saturns, Cavaliers, Neons, Probes, and yes....even Mustangs.

It doesn't matter if it is foreign or domestic in name or in reality - any car can be Rice, and chances are if the car was produced in a number greater than 100, someone, somewhere has already done something to earn the label.

Uncle Ben might not be invited to your table, but rest assured he is eating at the same restaurant.
Old 5/12/05, 04:02 PM
GTR Member

ricer is any import that has stupid mods like the shopping cart handle and such, here is a good poem to define a ricer with

A Christmas Carol (03 Cobra vs. Evolution Lancer)

Twas the night before Christmas and out on the street,
Nothing was moving, not even a Jeep.
All was still with nothing in sight,
Then what to my wandering eyes did I see,
But a Mustang SVT alone at a light.
The moonlight glistened off my wing, oh so gay.
My import was ready to show ‘em the way.
I had some NOS on my tiny motor,
I would beat that stang with its Eaton supercharger.
I pulled along side and revved up with a fart,
Pointed to the wing on my gay shopping cart.
The light turned green, I was off like a jolt,
While the SVT filled the night sky with smoke.
I called to my EVO’s 4 pistons,
On basher, on crasher, on smasher, and the one knocking,
Onward faster let’s finish the slaughtering.
The engine did rev, I was ready for action,
But just at that moment the Mustang caught traction.
With a grin on his face, and a gleam in his eye,
Like a shot from a cannon the SVT went by.
He blew by so fast, he spun me round twice.
I knew at that moment I was freshley fried rice.
He held up one finger as he drove into the night,
All I saw was dimming taillights.
But I heard him exclaim as he roared outta sight
“You stupid ricer, you can’t beat Blue Oval dynamiteâ€

-Robbie Rhule
Old 5/12/05, 04:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by holderca1@May 12, 2005, 11:58 AM

That's the definition I've always followed, and it can most certainly apply to non-japanese cars. Neons in particular.
It's not a Neon, it's an SRT4.

yeah cant you see all those emblems? didnt know there was a type r version of the srt4 tho?
Old 5/12/05, 11:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Stangarang@May 12, 2005, 11:56 AM
There are many indicators of rice. Contrary to popular belief, rice is not exclusive to Japanese cars, although it is more prevalent. Here are some factors:

Exhibit A

1. Gigantic rear wing/spoiler (see Exhibit A and C)
1a. Gigantic rear wing/spoiler on a front wheel drive. A rear spoiler provides downforce to the rear wheels, thus providing additional traction to rear-wheel drive cars. This is obviously not useful for front wheel drive cars.

Exhibit B

2. Stupid looking body kit (see Exhibit B and A). Made even worse when the color of the body kit does not match up with the rest of the car.

Exhibit C

Excellent case. The fart can is the kicker.

3. Moronically large exhaust tips (see Exhibit C and D). Most rice burners don't even have true dual exhaust.

Exhibit D

Exhibit E

4. Decals/graphics that make you want to die (see Exhibit D). Also hilarious is when a car has a decal from another car (see Exhibit E). FYI, Eclipse is Mitsubishi, Sebring is Chrysler.

I should also mention neon undercarraige lights, those gawdawful LED windshield wipers, poorly planned audio systems that rattle instead of thump, SPINNAHS, and the almighty Playstation-in-Headrest.

I do like many Japanese cars, such as the Supra, WRX, EVO, MR2 (older versions), etc. However, I do love to laugh at rice.
Old 5/13/05, 08:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

this is a def of a rice burner..... this is just rediculous!

and this person ought to be shot for this one!

but don't forget the vette's!

Old 5/13/05, 11:38 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember someone posting a pic of a Vette that someone had Oprah painted on the hood.
Old 5/13/05, 09:22 PM
GTR Member

that fox in the middle is a$%&#ing disgrace, someone seriousty needs the death penalty, i am not in anyway kidding ethier, that is cruel
Old 5/14/05, 07:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

My definition of a 'Rice' is any mod done to a car (whether foreign or domestic) that gives an appearance for performance, but does not serve any functional use. I mean no disrespect to Asian's...since I'm half myself , nor to cars made in the far-east..cause there are some darn nice ones. But blatantly calling all Japanese/Korean/etc. vehicles 'rice' because of their place of origin is rather narrow-minded and racist :angry:

Rice Examples:
Putting huge spoilers on FWD cars (Civic, Neon, etc.), Cobra/SVT badges on non SVT cars, Type-R/V-TEC sticker on Civics/Acura's.

One of my favorite sites:
http://www.riceboypage.com See the "Hall of Shame"

See the Adventures of Rice Boy
Old 5/16/05, 01:05 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
that site is great
Old 6/18/05, 01:47 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by holderca1,May 12, 2005, 11:58 AM
That's the definition I've always followed, and it can most certainly apply to non-japanese cars. Neons in particular.
It's not a Neon, it's an SRT4.

[/quote]

SRT4 is different. there is a good number of perfomance upgrades in that car. Its the regular ones all done up crazy that are the rice
Old 6/18/05, 09:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Let me put this into simple context.

Rice:

Not Rice:

Old 6/19/05, 01:22 AM
Cobra Member

Before I bought my Mustang and began spending time on this and another Mustang site I had never heard the term rice. I was certainly aware of the cars that sported all the so called ricer attributes but I just shrugged and called them hideous, vulgar, annoying, etc.I still do since my friends are not into cars at all.

Is the term racist? Yeah, I suppose so, but it doesn't upset me in the least.
Old 6/19/05, 11:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

The term "rice" does have some racist connotation to it, especially when used in the wrong context, which, unfortunately some people, who don't know the difference between "rice" and fast imports, use too profusely. I'll even admit to using the term "rice" on a regular basis as well and I am Asian (100% full-blooded Filipino) but at least I use it in the right meaning. To me, RICE refers to cars, which happens to be mostly imports (but some can be domestics as well, including Mustangs, Camaros, Neons, Cavaliers, etc) that are modded ridculously without any performance in mind. I think the most politically correct term would be "bling" since these cars have nothing but looks in mind.
Old 6/20/05, 01:03 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Seven@May 13, 2005, 6:41 AM

Ridiculous
Inappropriate
Cosmetic
Enhancement

Craig just nailed it right there. There is definitely a difference between having your own style and just being ridiculous with it. There is nothing wrong with making your car a little different from everyone else. That's who we are. If that's the case, everyone's car would be stock. The problem is when you add the ridiculous over the top body kits with the teeth in the grill and the triple decker wings that cause drag and actually slow your car down. Not to mention the stickers and decals of stuff that's not even in your car. Maybe the decals are a wish list or something. The point is slight modifications are cool as long as it enhances the beauty of the original design. As was mentioned before, Ricers don't have to be Japanese cars and on the flip side, I'm stationed here in Japan, and I've seen some awesome modified cars out here (mostly from the locals), but I've also seen some crap (mostly from us visitors). What upsets me is that these young (American) kids out here will buy a car for about $2000 and put upwards of $5000-$10,000+ in "enhancements" on their cars with no intentions of bringing it back to the States. Then when their tour is up, they try and sell this expensive mess for what they think the car is worth. They usually only end up selling it for the $2000-$3000 they originally brought it for. I swear they need siminars or somethin' for these kids.

Sorry I got slightly off point, just wanted to rant.
Old 6/20/05, 10:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Seven@May 12, 2005, 3:41 PM

Ridiculous
Inappropriate
Cosmetic
Enhancement

Saw this joke once:

What do you tell a Ricer with 2 black eyes?
Nothing, you've told him twice already.