General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Urban Education

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/05, 04:24 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol for anybody that watches MTV, they made this commercial a lil while ago bout how the word "bling" became a fad. Two rapers put it in their song and then a lot of black people started complimenting their jewelry and expensive cars as "bling" then when white people started copying them, it said "bling" RIP year-year (forgot the years it was made and expired) And i dont blame them for makin a commercial like that seeing how half the people that posted here didnt know exactly what it meant even though they say it
Old 4/28/05, 04:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by RM Mustang 728@April 28, 2005, 4:27 PM
... Two rapers put it in their song ...
Old 4/28/05, 04:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RM Mustang 728@April 28, 2005, 6:27 PM
Lol for anybody that watches MTV, they made this commercial a lil while ago bout how the word "bling" became a fad. Two rapers put it in their song and then a lot of black people started complimenting their jewelry and expensive cars as "bling" then when white people started copying them, it said "bling" RIP year-year (forgot the years it was made and expired) And i dont blame them for makin a commercial like that seeing how half the people that posted here didnt know exactly what it meant even though they say it
What I mentioned was not a commercial it was a TV show on Fox. Cant remember the name. It lasted like 1-2 months of course. You couldnt understand 1/2 of what they said and the slang was way too heavy.
Old 4/28/05, 04:35 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1) I don't come here for Urban Education, I come here because this is a Mustang site.

2) What's the point of this thread? :scratch:

3) Saying an American-African's 'black' doesn't make you a racist, it means you're not politically correct... and that is NOT a bad thing.

4) 20's on a Mustang can look good, if the right tire, the right wheel, and on the right car. This is a hard combo to achieve, which is why most times it looks like crap. But, spinners on a Mustang will always be worthy of a beating!
20's on a Dodge Ram look fine, it's called proportion!

5) ponygt - best post in this pointless thread. ponygt's right, and I can only imagine this fad will end soon. Remember how cool headlight blackouts used to be?

6) CRAP! - I'm 27 and already middleaged!

7)
Old 4/28/05, 04:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

How about we sub "bling" for tacky.

I for one, do not want to sound or suggest that I look like an uneducated thug.

Look at the big (and sometimes fake) "diamonds" that rappers wear.

Tacky.

HUGE or SMALL wheels with tons of chrome and jewels and spikes = TACKY.

I do not need to be "educated" on a slang word. Especially one that belongs to a group of individuals that pride themselves in sounding uneducated and unclassy.
Old 4/28/05, 04:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree with you. This thing should be locked before it gets nasty. I can see it coming......
Old 4/28/05, 04:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by SurfnSoCal@April 28, 2005, 4:41 PM

Tacky.

I do not need to be "educated" on a slang word. Especially one that belongs to a group of individuals that pride themselves in sounding uneducated and unclassy.
Ok, someone's going to selectively misread that...
Old 4/28/05, 04:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Definitely time to
Old 4/28/05, 04:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by celticstanger+April 28, 2005, 3:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(celticstanger @ April 28, 2005, 3:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SurfnSoCal@April 28, 2005, 4:41 PM

Tacky.

Ok, someone's going to selectively misread that...
[/b][/quote]

Misread what?
Old 4/28/05, 05:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by SurfnSoCal@April 28, 2005, 5:02 PM

Misread what?
I assumed the "group" you were refering to are rappers, not a particular ethnic group.

I made the misread comment so that no-one scans your post and takes it the other way.
Old 4/28/05, 05:03 PM
I lust for a M24

Surfn, I think he means misread the last part "a group of people who pride themselves in sounding uneducated..."

Someone may misread that as black people rather than just ghetto, disrespectful, unmotivated people, regardless of race.

Is this thing locked yet?
Old 4/28/05, 05:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 05GT-O.C.D.@April 28, 2005, 5:06 PM
Surfn, I think he means misread the last part "a group of people who pride themselves in sounding uneducated..."

Someone may misread that as black people rather than just ghetto, disrespectful, unmotivated people, regardless of race.

Is this thing locked yet?
Exactly. Thought if I put my comments there, it'd reduce the chances of that happening.

Why lock the thread? No-one's fighting and the phrase in question is oft used on the site. Might not be so bad to discuss, so long as civility remains?
Old 4/28/05, 05:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

um. ok.

I thought we were talking about people that use the word bling, fo shizzle, and such. I never mentioned race.
Old 4/28/05, 05:10 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally posted by SurfnSoCal@April 28, 2005, 6:11 PM
um. ok.

I thought we were talking about people that use the word bling, fo shizzle, and such. I never mentioned race.
Just noticed your c/t! That's great!
Old 4/28/05, 05:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I believe this topic was made because of this topic.... http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=22578

I agree that some 20s look good and some don't....this is the same way I feel about 17s,18s, and 19s. But as far as the word bling that was over with a long time ago. Matter of fact I didn't see the word for quite sometime until you all started using it on this thread.

As far as giving your negative opinion, I don't think everyone posts pics to have their car put down by others. If they ask for a opinion give it, and if they don't...as the old saying goes....if you don't have anything positive to say don't say anything at all.
Old 4/28/05, 05:33 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by cdemot02@April 28, 2005, 5:16 PM
I believe this topic was made because of this topic.... http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=22578

I agree that some 20s look good and some don't....this is the same way I feel about 17s,18s, and 19s. But as far as the word bling that was over with a long time ago. Matter of fact I didn't see the word for quite sometime until you all started using it on this thread.

As far as giving your negative opinion, I don't think everyone posts pics to have their car put down by others. If they ask for a opinion give it, and if they don't...as the old saying goes....if you don't have anything positive to say don't say anything at all.
Well this is a forum, i dont see a problem with negative comments as long as they dont make fun of them for what they have on the car. if its just sayin "i dont like them u shouldeve gone with w/e" thats cool.. thats a opinion.. what i see all the time here is pple going like "OMG BLING BLING! RICE!" those are the opinions that should be kept to urself..
Old 4/28/05, 06:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wait, 20's are bling? I thought they were dubs? Man, I'm just just another 30-something white guy that doesn't get it...
Old 4/28/05, 06:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Wait, can i say white on this forum? I meant that I'm a European-Canadian... I think.
Old 4/28/05, 06:38 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by dtdebuty@April 28, 2005, 4:14 PM
Well I thought it was a word used mostly from black people. Last time I heard it was recently on TV when a black actor said he got some bling-bling going on and pointed to his gold tooth. LOL. No joke. Sicne then I i have always related bling equal to something that is very shinny in terms of the black language. By the way I am being very honest here and I am not racist for those that may want to turn this around.
Gold teeth aren't bling, unless they gots diamonds in 'em, dog. Gold teeth, or caps, are called "crunk" in the hip-hop world. Gotta have dat crunk, ya heard?
Old 4/28/05, 06:38 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by SurfnSoCal@April 28, 2005, 6:11 PM
um. ok.

Man u know what the f@ck you're saying. Man up and say it. Every word mentioned in this thread comes from the African-American community. Bling on this site is always...always used in a derogatory manner which tends to make me believe that the user has a very derogatory view of African-American culture. I know it pisses a lot of people off how prevelant the effect of "rap" culture is on popular cutlure. Though poo. But hey you don't have to mention race its implied.

Quick Reply: Urban Education