General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

UAW seeking record $10,000 signing bonuses for each member

Search this Thread

Old 9/13/11, 09:28 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Yeah but we got em right now. Record profits last year and on our way to breaking it this year. They just can't argue. It will at least stay at 2.5. Last contract was 3.5. I'll be happy at 3.
So why record profits? Did volume stay up? Did they have to lay off but able to maintain reasonable volume so overall labor costs were less? Did the drop in (some) commodities help cost factors? Or have they increased exports to where the economy is better than the stinky US? Its just a math problem.
Is your company public? If so, what's the symbol?

*And keep it mind that with rising costs of benefit packages, that raise percentage you achieve prob won't be all in cash - your 'compensation' includes everything it costs to have you there.

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/13/11 at 09:32 PM.
Old 9/13/11, 09:35 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

So why record profits? Did volume stay up? Did they have to lay off but able to maintain reasonable volume so overall labor costs were less? Did the drop in (some) commodities help cost factors? Or have they increased exports to where the economy is better than the stinky US?
Is your company public? If so, what's the symbol?
Ze Germans know big business. Hiring even more people now and building more production units. We took a big hit 2 years ago but these guys made the right moves. Of course they didn't share much of that profit with the union employees but hey, we still have everything that we agreed upon 4 years ago. So no complaints from me.
Old 9/13/11, 10:12 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Ze Germans know big business.
All that bull crud about America and you work for the freakin' Bratwursts?? lol In Lucyanna??
Hell, I'd strike for a 10% raise then!!

Old 9/13/11, 10:23 PM

All that bull crud about America and you work for the freakin' Bratwursts?? lol In Lucyanna??
Hell, I'd strike for a 10% raise then!!

Yep. That's about the long and short right there. But hey, the USW is American so I have a little excuse.
Old 9/14/11, 10:40 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree that unions in the private sector provide a balance - when they are focused on collective bargaining.
That they have turned into political parties is bull crap.
I'll not disagree there, a union as a political entity has certainly overstepped its bounds.

That government workers have unionized - rather than have wages and benefits handled through the legislature - is double bull crap. Its the national workers party (including armed police) - aligned against the citizen taxpayer. And that's too dam close to former Germany for me.

Well having seen what my dad went through with 21 years of service in the military with his work in the DAV/AL and what my brother has gone through with almost 20 years of service I'm not so sure about that.

However, your assumptions that ALL companies would throw benefits out the window, or that without unions there would be no benefits, is inaccurate.
Maybe not all at once, but the current thinking in business is that for America to be competitive in the world market it needs to shed about 20% of the compensation paid on the labor side, well for now. If say a groovy place to work like asia (dont just want to pigeon hole somebody's place that starts with a big C ) decides that its in their best interest to lower labor costs by 20% as well and/or do the usual trick of devaluing their currency the US is back at square one and will be looking to trim another 20% from the labor side in some fashion.

Given what I have seen both in the media and my own company, the latter of which I'd consider pretty stand-up, The old man that runs the company doesn't bow easily to Wall Street, treats the employees as you suggest for the most part but then I've seen where the company at large has been run like the company founder intended. The most glaring example was a statement from our property procurement guy and I'm paraphrasing here since its been awhile but he said; "We'd be crazy not to take advantage of eminent domain, our competitors do and we have to as well".

As good as I think my compnay is (and I've been with them for over 20 years) that is only part of the reason wmy I have no faith in big business in general and would fully expect in an environment without a union even a stand-up business like mine would bow to competitve pressure and jump onboard with the lowest common deominator.

Originally Posted by houtex
Time to quit then, and prove how stupid that *** is. Union isn't required.

Also, the rest of your post? Unions aren't required there either. Personal accountability is required.. as well as the idea that you WON'T be run roughshod. Have a little dignity regarding your wrench turning, and don't help them be asses by continuing to work for pennies.

/of course, they'll just go across the border, but you'll have your dignity, yeah?
//No good answer on this one either, simply because honor isn't part of the equation on either side.
///Except the members. They're honorable, they don't cross when pickets are up.
Sigh... indeed if it were just that easy. In a sense I could do just what your saying, by dint of my length of service with my compnay I could tell them to shove it, leave the company with the equivalent of about 2 months worth of pay, pay the penalty on my 401k and completely reinvent myself but man do I worry about having money so at 65 or 70 have to hopefully work no more (more of the sure bet rather than pursuing some crazy dream and ending up essentially a vassal of the government depending on social security and medicare). Then again, living on top of a mountain wearing a tin pot on my head and carring around a shot gun, living in a shack and dancing around with a big jug-o-shine does have a certain appeal with caveat that I can still get an internet connection to drive you guys crazy with my innane posts

Last edited by bob; 9/14/11 at 10:48 AM.
Old 9/14/11, 12:09 PM

I really like the idea of that last part. Hell yeah!
Old 9/14/11, 08:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I do too. Where do I sign up?