General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Toyota and Subaru Re-enter RWD Coupe Market Together.

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/08, 12:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by future9er24
I'm personally not so sure of that. I think, despite the break from wrong wheel drive to RWD, it will still hold true to the current Toyota trend of being a snoozemobile.

No offense to you, but I really can't see Toyota doing anything exciting in the near future.

wait...what were you saying? Lets face it, Toyota CAN and probably WILL build something more mainstream than this. It's not like they dont have the resources to do it. Its just a question of whether or not they have a reason to. Toyota recently got criticized for the Tundra because they were supposedly a "Green" company and that truck wasn't. With that in mind, IF toyota doesn't build a cool, fun, exciting RWD coupe, its because of image. BUT, since they screwed that up with the Tundra like I said before, its anybody's guess as to what they will do. I'm hoping for a YES.

Last edited by cheech6g; 5/2/08 at 12:49 PM.
Old 5/2/08, 01:44 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What I was saying is that I don't think Toyota will make this car interesting. I think its gonna end up being just as boring as the rest of their lineup
Old 5/6/08, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read, somewhere, where Nissan is also contemplating getting into the smallish RWD sport coupe market, which would really make this sub-ponycar class a well fleshed out niche and perhaps, in this and future era of $3.50-4.00+ gas, a potential market challenge to the actual pony cars, which, especially in the case of the Challenger and GT500 (still awaiting Camaro specs), are very big, heavy and thirsty.

Might these draw off sales at least at the lower end of the pony car market, i.e., base V6 models. Might be so if the option is a V6 pony car with modest acceleration, handling and economy vs a zippy, flingable and frugal Subaru/Toyota/Nissan at a similar price?

Of course, we haven't seen any of these and they could turn out to be either little terrors or just terrible -- interesting developments to speculate about though.