General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/13, 02:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zastava_101
MARZ, think what you want; I already said what I wanted to say. This is a Ford forum and there is no way in hell that somebody here is gonna admit that Ford could do wrong and that Toyota can do anything right. I guess a subjective opinion, like styling of a car, is more important to a middle age family man that stupid things, like quality over a long term of time, or even dumber things like a resale value.
Ford's recalls: "Its important that they caught it on time and that they care about the customers".
Toyota's recalls: "Their reputation for quality went down to the toilet, they can't do anything right these days, why are these idiots still buying 10 million Toyotas every year".

I got it.
I'll admit it, ford did tons wrong and toyota did alot right. we both have read plenty books on the industry to know but Ford has come a long way and toyota has had it's faults. I'm not going to listen about how they can do no wrong and the others can and that the goverment is screwing them. There is plenty to like about Ford.
Old 1/5/13, 03:24 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

MARZ, think what you want; I already said what I wanted to say. This is a Ford forum and there is no way in hell that somebody here is gonna admit that Ford could do wrong and that Toyota can do anything right. I guess a subjective opinion, like styling of a car, is more important to a middle age family man that stupid things, like quality over a long term of time, or even dumber things like a resale value.
Ford's recalls: "Its important that they caught it on time and that they care about the customers".
Toyota's recalls: "Their reputation for quality went down to the toilet, they can't do anything right these days, why are these idiots still buying 10 million Toyotas every year".

I got it.
Zoran, please show me where I've given Ford a pass for anything. I have no problem with you holding Ford accountable for their recent quality woes, but when you completely fabricate unsubstantiated excuses for Toyota when similar issues are brought to light, I have a problem with it.

I guess you see yourself as some sort of a counterbalance to all us biased, uninformed "Ford guys." I got it. When it comes to the inner-workings of the automotive industry, though, I may not be as clueless as you make me out to be. And, at 31 years old and no kids, am I supposed to be the "middle-aged family man" you're referring to? I guess that makes you the voice of reason; if only you could just get us American idiots to understand where you're coming from, right? <sarcasm>. You seem to have a mighty high opinion of yourself...

I guess, assuming the quality trend line remains unaltered from its current trajectory, we'll see in a few years how far Toyota's name and reputation can carry them which, as we all know, has more to do with the resale value of their vehicles right now than anything.

Last edited by MARZ; 1/5/13 at 03:38 PM.
Old 1/5/13, 04:01 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Toyota is hanging on to a reputation from the past. They do not have any exceptional quality that makes them any better than the competition anymore. To top it off, their prices are ridiculous compared to their competitors. So the big question is: wait for it........

Why buy a Toyota?
Because they look good.
Old 1/5/13, 04:09 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
As a former Toyota owner and coming from a family that currently owns the Land Cruiser, Camry, Corolla, Prius, and Highlander, I can confidently say that I am the "red headed step child."

That said, I could not be happier.
Old 1/5/13, 04:18 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by MARZ
Zoran, please show me where I've given Ford a pass for anything. I have no problem with you holding Ford accountable for their recent quality woes, but when you completely fabricate unsubstantiated excuses for Toyota when similar issues are brought to light, I have a problem with it.

I guess you see yourself as some sort of a counterbalance to all us biased, uninformed "Ford guys." I got it. When it comes to the inner-workings of the automotive industry, though, I may not be as clueless as you make me out to be. And, at 31 years old and no kids, am I supposed to be the "middle-aged family man" you're referring to? I guess that makes you the voice of reason; if only you could just get us American idiots to understand where you're coming from, right? <sarcasm>. You seem to have a mighty high opinion of yourself...

I guess, assuming the quality trend line remains unaltered from its current trajectory, we'll see in a few years how far Toyota's name and reputation can carry them which, as we all know, has more to do with the resale value of their vehicles right now than anything.
I'm not saying that Toyota is without any faults and that their vehicles are perfect. Toyota's qualify has went down a lot over the past 10 years or so.

On one hand, you have a company like Toyota and even with damaged reputation, they're still in the top in long term quality, no matter who the source is.
And then you have a Ford, which was a joke until Alan Mulally came along. I read many books on this subject and believe me, Ford's quality control was a joke before Mulally came along. Mulally was so mad at Ford when he came over in 2006 (I believe) because even at that time they (management at Ford) believed that they're superior and wouldn't admit to any mistakes.

What I'm saying is, Toyota cannot lose overnight the good reputation that they have been building since the 1970s. And Ford also cannot lose overnight the bad reputation that they have been "building" since the same time. Heck, GM was living of their good name until the late 1990s and majority of their products from the mid 1970s until then was a joke.

Yeah, many things have happened over the past 10 years or so for Toyota to lose their reputation and for Ford to fix it. But its not gonna happen overnight.

Toyota is hurt, but they're not dying and they're not weak for sure.

Last edited by Zastava_101; 1/5/13 at 04:19 PM.
Old 1/5/13, 05:29 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think we are getting a few things mixed up so I will step in and help(you are welcome).

1. Ford and toyota have made bad products.
2. toyota sells so many units because they are cheap and have a good rep.
3. people here like ford more because the products are more "fun".
4. people do not like toyota because they see the products as "not fun".
5. Toyota have a mind set of good mpg and boring bean counter stuff.
6. Ford is looking at getting young people to buy car via fun factor.

also no one is saying toyota is dying.. They are saying they are boring and out of date and should die. Just like people were saying about GM.
Old 1/5/13, 06:37 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I agree with everything that you said, except for one thing - that Toyotas are cheap. They are usually the most expensive cars in every class.
Old 1/5/13, 06:40 PM

I agree with everything that you said, except for one thing - that Toyotas are cheap. They are usually the most expensive cars in every class.
Yep. I stated that earlier also. So much less to offer for much more money.
Old 1/5/13, 06:56 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Yep. I stated that earlier also. So much less to offer for much more money.
You get that back on the resale ...

My 2008 Fusion was about $4,000 less than the equally equipped Toyota Camry, but now 5 years later is also worth that much less.
Old 1/5/13, 06:58 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 1/5/13, 07:13 PM

You get that back on the resale ...

My 2008 Fusion was about $4,000 less than the equally equipped Toyota Camry, but now 5 years later is also worth that much less.
So you sacrifice paying more up front. Buy a boring *** Camry with crappy options and no style because it will be worth more 5 years from now?

So which one would you really choose? And that's not even before you price em.
Attached Images    
Old 1/5/13, 07:36 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Buy a boring *** Camry with crappy options and no style because it will be worth more 5 years from now?
Yup. Pretty much every mid-size sedan will get me from point A to point B, so I would buy one that would cost me the least over the X number of years.

And by "cost me the least", I don't look at just price of the car and the resale value, I also look at the mechanical bills, fuel economy ...

So which one would you really choose? And that's not even before you price em.
D) None of the above.

Last edited by Zastava_101; 1/5/13 at 07:38 PM.
Old 1/5/13, 07:46 PM

Yup. Pretty much every mid-size sedan will get me from point A to point B, so I would buy one that would cost me the least over the X number of years.

And by "cost me the least", I don't look at just price of the car and the resale value, I also look at the mechanical bills, fuel economy ...

D) None of the above.
Dude you're blinded. Bumper to bumper warranties. None of these will be expensive to maintain or keep going. Although I would probably say the fuzion will be the more expensive to repair in the long run.

And Nissan. Really? You really love dumb cars. Lol no offense man.
Old 1/5/13, 07:58 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I love money in my pocket or least invest it into something that pays of in a long rung (buying a real estate, for an example). Cars ... bad investment.

I got my 2008 Fusion for only $15,500. You can't beat that. I know its worth much less than the 2008 Camry or Accord right now, but there is no way in hell I could get a brand new Camry/Accord for under $20,000.

And I got free oil changes and car washes for as long a I own it.
Old 1/6/13, 12:19 AM
Cobra R Member

I’m just saying it’s an amazing coincidence that the government was able to find so many faults in the very successful foreign company about the same time when the domestic manufactures (which government just happens to own, at least parts of it) were going through so many troubles.
When there are over 300+ wrongful death / injury lawsuits against Toyota (according to them) and over 6200 complaints of unexplained acceleration. And they just paid out over $1 billion in a lawsuit brought on by consumers who lost value in their cars... It's not amazing. It's sad.

Last edited by 2010MustangGT; 1/6/13 at 12:21 AM. Reason: youtube
Old 1/6/13, 08:59 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

According to Wikipedia, there were 21 death due to acceleration issues ... which is not a small number of course, but considering the fact that Toyota builds 10+ million vehicles every year ...

Watching that video, it's weird ... why didn't driver put transmission in neutral and turn the engine off? I had brakes failure on my F-150 few years ago (during 75 mph on the highway) and that's what I did - the truck stopped pretty soon and I avoided the accident.
Old 1/6/13, 09:35 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
According to Wikipedia, there were 21 death due to acceleration issues ... which is not a small number of course, but considering the fact that Toyota builds 10+ million vehicles every year ...

Watching that video, it's weird ... why didn't driver put transmission in neutral and turn the engine off? I had brakes failure on my F-150 few years ago (during 75 mph on the highway) and that's what I did - the truck stopped pretty soon and I avoided the accident.
Yeah I had a brake booster fail and the brake pedal went to the floor on my Raptor when I was coming up behind a car at a light. Neutral and parking brakes saved me. Luckily I was two blocks from dealer.

If it had been my wife or daughter it'd be wrecked.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 1/6/13 at 12:49 PM.
Old 1/6/13, 11:24 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
scary
Old 1/6/13, 09:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just saw a commercial, Ford Focus, Best selling car in the world!

"That just happened"
Old 1/6/13, 09:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jacostang
I just saw a commercial, Ford Focus, Best selling car in the world!

"That just happened"
The focus and the fiesta are pretty amazing cars. I'm a big hatchback fan. If it wasn't for my mustang dreams, I'd be in line for a focus

Quick Reply: Toyota