General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/12, 11:22 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota

Toyota has a reputation of lasting forever while Ford has a reputation of Fix Or Repair Daily.

And then they finally had few great years and convinced the public that their products are good and then ... they blew it.

You know, its funny ... I have many books about Ford's history and they all agree on one thing - Ford should worry the most when things are going great for him. Don't worry when Ford is in trouble, they will always get out of it, but worry the most when things are going great ... like they have been for the past few years.
Old 12/30/12, 11:30 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Toyota had a reputation for making vehicles that last. How can you still believe that when they had a recall or five on pretty much every vehicle they made? The got there because they made very simple cars with nothing to them, now they're trying to compete with everyone else, and not doing a great job.

Anyone I've talked to with a Ford since Mr. Mullaly took over has had nothing but good things to report with their cars.
Old 12/30/12, 11:42 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

It's funny how the USA government started finding issues with Toyotas, the world's largest automaker, about the same time when GM and Chrysler filed for bankruptcy and Ford had to sell and/or use for a collateral (to get bank loans) everything they own in order to survive.

Amazing "coincidence", ain't it?

Just like the USA government started finding problems with Hyundai and Kia after each company had the best year in the USA.

It's funny how that happens ...
Old 12/31/12, 04:31 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Zastava_101

Amazing "coincidence", ain't it?
Are you suggesting that private citizens were actually "informed" by the US Government to report falsehoods for a witch hunt against outside manufacturers? I wonder how the selection process was instituted . . . or if the Government was also responsible for the tsunami that hit Japan?

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 12/31/12 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12/31/12, 07:47 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I’m just saying it’s an amazing coincidence that the government was able to find so many faults in the very successful foreign company about the same time when the domestic manufactures (which government just happens to own, at least parts of it) were going through so many troubles.
And then Hyundai and Kia had the best year in the USA and government found faults in them too …
I’m thinking Volkswagen and/or Subaru are next …

p.s. despite everything that happened to Toyota (recalls, tsunami, and slow sales in China [world’s largest market] due to Japan-China issues …), they’re still #1 in the world, they still outsold everybody. That’s impressive.
Old 12/31/12, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

I’m just saying it’s an amazing coincidence that the government was able to find so many faults in the very successful foreign company about the same time when the domestic manufactures (which government just happens to own, at least parts of it) were going through so many troubles.
And then Hyundai and Kia had the best year in the USA and government found faults in them too …

p.s. despite everything that happened to Toyota (recalls, tsunami, and slow sales in China [world’s largest market] due to Japan-China issues …), they’re still #1 in the world, they still outsold everybody. That’s impressive.
don't think so man, google it. toyota and other manufacturers has had recalls throughout the years, although not made publicly like the domestics. depending on model, prior to Sept 2007, toyota had recalls but they were under 10k per model. the initial "big one" was issued on 9/26/2007 for the floor mats that impacted 55k camry/es350 models.

FYI -GM and Chrys didnt file bk until 6/1/2009.
Old 12/31/12, 08:43 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

They did not file for bankruptcy until June 2009, but everyone knew well ahead of that that they are going to. It's not like their problems happened overnight ...
Old 12/31/12, 09:46 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

isnt that the point??? they sold more then ever and had more people filing complaints then ever. Then the Gov did something way out the blue... they looked into the issues reported(crazy huh?).
Old 12/31/12, 09:49 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by StangMahn
Toyota had a reputation for making vehicles that last. How can you still believe that when they had a recall or five on pretty much every vehicle they made? The got there because they made very simple cars with nothing to them, now they're trying to compete with everyone else, and not doing a great job.

Anyone I've talked to with a Ford since Mr. Mullaly took over has had nothing but good things to report with their cars.
I think everyone likes toyotas because they are cheap to buy. I think everyone hates toyota when it comes to a repiar bill.
Old 12/31/12, 09:54 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Flagstang
I think everyone likes toyotas because they are cheap to buy. I think everyone hates toyota when it comes to a repiar bill.
Dude, no disrespect, but did you start drinking early today?

Toyotas cheap to buy? Repair bills?
Old 12/31/12, 10:00 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Dude, no disrespect, but did you start drinking early today?

Toyotas cheap to buy? Repair bills?
the loaded ones car pretty spendy, but the base models are really cheap.

I had a buddy who had to spend alot of cash out of pocket to repair his tundra. I he said he will never buy a toyota again.

I work with a guy with a camary that he loves. The timing bet failed at 103k miles.. guess how much that is running him to repair and 7 year old car..
Old 12/31/12, 10:00 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

isnt that the point??? they sold more then ever and had more people filing complaints then ever. Then the Gov did something way out the blue... they looked into the issues reported(crazy huh?).
People who are filing complaints are those same type of people that you complained about on the previous page (re: Fusion hybrid's 47 mpg) - people who just wanna get some $$$.
Outside the USA everybody’s laughing to Toyota's recalls as the USA government try to save their own auto industry by switching the negative attention from the Big 3 to Toyota. Heck, the USA government couldn’t convince even their own people not to buy Toyotas; how are they then gonna convince the remainder of the world?
Old 12/31/12, 10:04 AM
Post *****

People who are filing complaints are those same type of people that you complained about on the previous page (re: Fusion hybrid's 47 mpg) - people who just wanna get some $$$.
Outside the USA everybody’s laughing to Toyota's recalls as the USA government try to save their own auto industry by switching the negative attention from the Big 3 to Toyota. Heck, the USA government couldn’t convince even their own people not to buy Toyotas; how are they then gonna convince the remainder of the world?
Yeah . . . I can almost hear Japan laughing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49816375...les-worldwide/
Old 12/31/12, 10:08 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

the loaded ones car pretty spendy, but the base models are really cheap.
Let's see ...
Ford Escape $22,470
Toyota RAV4 $24,200

Ford Focus sedan $16,200
Toyota Corolla $16,230

Ford Fusion $21,700
Toyota Camry $22,055

And then you start taking away rebates on Fords and rebates on Toyota and the difference is gonna be huge.

I had a buddy who had to spend alot of cash out of pocket to repair his tundra. I he said he will never buy a toyota again.

I work with a guy with a camary that he loves. The timing bet failed at 103k miles.. guess how much that is running him to repair and 7 year old car..
And for every guy that had issues with a Toyota, I can find you 10 guys that had problems with the Big 3 products.
Old 12/31/12, 10:10 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Yeah . . . I can almost hear Japan laughing.
I think sales pretty much tells us what people really thought about Toyota's "problems" ...
Old 12/31/12, 10:15 AM
Post *****

I think sales pretty much tells us what people really thought about Toyota's "problems" ...
Double talk. My post was in regard to your assumption that the World is laughing at the US with regarding to "our" recalls on Toyota.
Old 12/31/12, 10:31 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I'm telling you that outside the USA nobody really believed what the USA government said about Toyota and issues with the accelerator pedals. And sales prove that.

Toyota is not perfect (no car company is), but the media made it look much worse than it was.

Because not even NASA couldn't find anything wrong with it.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/PR/DOT-16-11
Old 12/31/12, 10:35 AM
Post *****

I'm telling you that outside the USA nobody really believed what the USA government said about Toyota and issues with the accelerator pedals. And sales prove that.

Toyota is not perfect (no car company is), but the media made it look much worse than it was.
My link made no mention of issues with acceleration (outside of a reference), but the recent steering shaft and water pump recalls.

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 12/31/12 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12/31/12, 10:42 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I believe that the acceleration "issue" was the only one that was government forced ...

Toyota has their share of problems just like anyone else; I just think it's ridiculous that people are bashing Toyota, which is well known for their quality, like its some 3rd world class car company when they're still #1 in the world.

Especially on the Ford forum when Ford still holds the record for the 3 largest recalls in the history of recalls in the USA.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...n-history.html
Old 12/31/12, 10:48 AM
Post *****

I believe that the acceleration "issue" was the only one that was government forced ...

Toyota has their share of problems just like anyone else; I just think it's ridiculous that people are bashing Toyota, which is well known for their quality, like its some 3rd world class car company when they're still #1 in the world.

Especially on the Ford forum when Ford still holds the record for the 3 largest recalls in the history of recalls in the USA.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...n-history.html
So is that your point? That you feel Toyota is being treated unfairly by our Government and some on this forum?

Quick Reply: Toyota