General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Thrid Row Seating/AWD vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/07, 02:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'll think about the Tribecca....they do look....different...but I'm warming up to them....Hey, what about a Buick Rendezvous?
Old 2/17/07, 03:53 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by codeman94
I am looking into a possible new vehicle. It must be AWD and have a third row seat. NO VANS. So looking for a crossover or SUV. And I want to keep it under $30K. Pacifica is looking the best right now...I wish the edge had Third row...but sadly...any suggestions? Taurus X looks cool...I wonder about pricing...probably close to the Freestyle....any help would be..helpfull. Thanks!
A couple months ago they were blowing out new '06 FWD Pacifica's around here for around $16k. They were pretty well equiped and you'd have to be crazy not to consider them at that price. I'm not sure what adding AWD adds to the price, but its worth consideration. I was really surprised what $16k could buy, especially when a well equiped x-plan Focus was just a couple grand less.

There might be some good opportunities out there with leftover 6 cylinder Cadillac SRX's as well, but they'll be on the upper end of your price range.

If you aren't concerned with fuel consumption or mass the '06 Expedition can be had pretty cheap.

That new Jeep Commander may be alright with the right powertrain. From what I understand, if you get the Hemi you border on single digit gas mileage.

I don't think any of these will have great resale values, but that's why you want to pick what best suits your needs and then negotiate like crazy. There are Honda's, Toyota's, and Nissan's in that price range that may have some resale advantage, but with the current financial state of the American manufacturers I'll leave it to someone else speak their praises.
Old 2/17/07, 07:39 PM

So far I'm thinking...mostly for pricing reasons....
1. Explorer
2. Pacifica
3. Mountaineer
Old 2/17/07, 08:06 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

If I were you, I would stay away from Chrysler.
Old 2/17/07, 08:26 PM

....And why is that? My parents have an '01 intrepid....135,000 miles and still ticking...although it had some serious transmission problems around 85,000.
Old 2/17/07, 08:50 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

You said it yourself - transmission problems.

I have 97 Intrepid Sport 3.5L. Transmission is almost dead at 97,000 miles.

I wanted to buy 300C so I checked 300C's forums. Many people complained about transmission problems at low mileages.
Old 2/17/07, 10:39 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For what it's worth, I just bought a consumer Reports buyers guide.
Predicted reliability:
1. Explorer: much worse than avg
2. Pacifica: Below avg
3. Mountaineer: much worse than avg

Other 3 row seating
Freestyle: much worse than avg
Subaru Tribeca: above average
Volvo XC90: Much worse than avg
Old 2/18/07, 08:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Predicted reliability????

What's the basis of their "prediction"?
Old 2/18/07, 09:21 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TomServo92
Predicted reliability????

What's the basis of their "prediction"?
This describes their methodology. From my 25 years of using them as a reference they've been very accurate.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...ity-faq_ov.htm
Old 2/18/07, 09:39 AM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Originally Posted by Outlander
This describes their methodology. From my 25 years of using them as a reference they've been very accurate.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...ity-faq_ov.htm
Thanks for the link. Here's what it says about predicted reliability

4.5. What is Predicted Reliability?
The Predicted Reliability, also called New Car Prediction, forecasts how well a new model that is currently on sale is likely to hold up based on its recent history. For this Rating, we average a model's Used Car Verdict for the past three years, provided the vehicle did not change significantly in that time and hasn't been redesigned for the upcoming model year. Over the years, we have found that several years of data are a better predictor than the most recent model year alone. One or two years of data may be used if the model was redesigned within that three-year time frame, or if there were insufficient data for some years.

Sometimes, we will make a prediction for a brand-new or redesigned model if the previous generation or the manufacturer has a track record of consistently outstanding (above average) reliability. Of course, this is only a prediction, and these scores are not a guarantee of the reliability of any individual car. However, buying a car that has an above-average score for Predicted Reliability will reduce the likelihood of having significant problems with your car.

You can find our Predicted Reliability for new cars in many of Consumer Reports' auto publications, including the April Annual Auto Issue, CR monthly road tests, our special new-car publications such as New Car Preview, ConsumerReports.org, the New Car Buying Kit, and our New Car Price Reports.
Old 2/18/07, 10:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm curious what they have to say about the 2006 Escape. So far, mine has been rock-solid reliable. Am I an exception?
Old 2/18/07, 12:48 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Predicted reliability is above avg for the hybrid and avg for the regular verision. They last tested it in Aug 2005. The description says:

The Escape has a roomy interior and a spacious rear bench. Handling is relatively nimble, and the brakes are strong. Fuel economy is disappointing (non Hybrid version). Because of a tip-up in the govt rollover test, we do not recommend the Escape.
Old 2/18/07, 01:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Interesting although I don't agree about the mileage. I average around 21 with mine (V6) with about 70% of my driving being city (stop and go). I've gotten as good as 26 on the freeway.
Old 2/18/07, 05:22 PM

So the Tribecca is the only one worth a crap??
Old 2/18/07, 05:26 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I heard really bad things about Subaru's customers service, so I don't know if Tribeca is really a best choice.
Old 2/18/07, 06:32 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AFBLUE
Thanks for the link. Here's what it says about predicted reliability
Emphasis on the word "predicted." Sounds like tea leaves and tarrot cards to me. I've been looking a lot more closely at Consumer Reports testing methodologies across the board lately. ONE of the problems with CR (and there are MANY) is that it is all based upon consumer feedback and there is no differentiation between truly serious problems and minor annoyances. All count equally towards a vehicle's final, overall rating.

They apply the same methodology towards everything they test at CR. Case in point: I've been a photographer for 20 years now (not full-time professional, but I do SOME for my work and I would call myself semi-pro/advanced amateur). I remember several years ago reading their test report on a particular SLR model that I owned. I had to laugh, because they were stressing things that were so incidental or unimportant that you could tell they weren't truly knowledgeable about what made the camera so appealing and valuable to photographers in everyday use.

I've come to the conclusion that CR are a bunch of hacks whose intended audience are people who are COMPLETELY ignorant about the products they're shopping for.