General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Test drove the GTO

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/04 | 07:03 PM
Cobra R Member

I took my friend who is going to buy a Marauder to test drive the GTO.

Interior styling is Excellent.

Exterior styling is poor. :notnice:

LS Motor is supposed to be excellent, and it does have good mid range torque, but I found that my GT handles better and seems to have better get up and go out of the blocks. I took my car on the same rout that both my friend and I took from the dealer to get a good feel for the difference. I know that this was my third time around the rout, and the second time that I drove this rout, once in each car as the driver.

The front end is braced under the hood for better handling, but when you look under the body at the suspension and other stuff it comes up short. With the front brace I thought that it may corner better than my GT, but it did not.

The deciding factor on this might be the tires. Both cars have 17 inch rims, The GTO rims are ugly to look at though. My tires are better over all. Why did Pontiac go cheap on the tires? Good tires might make it handle better.

It shifts well. And all of the controls are in good hand range from the drivers position.

The sound of this car is very good. Over all on a scale of 1-10, My car is still an 8 and the GTO is a 6. Too much money for ugly. :notnice:
Old 5/9/04 | 11:09 PM
I Have Admin Envy

I personally think the GTO is just a stop-gap car for now to quiet the enthusiats until a real US built replacement shows up. With that, there are quite a few quirks that people don't like, because the car was rushed.

I read an article where they are planning on building the GTO and a Camaro!!!??? at the Oshawa assembly plant in 2007 or 08
Old 5/9/04 | 11:37 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Galaxieboy@May. 10th, 2004, 1:12 AM
I personally think the GTO is just a stop-gap car for now to quiet the enthusiats until a real US built replacement shows up. With that, there are quite a few quirks that people don't like, because the car was rushed.

I read an article where they are planning on building the GTO and a Camaro!!!??? at the Oshawa assembly plant in 2007 or 08
Might just be the author making assumptions. Either way, its must be nice to be a GM fan. Lutz says no Camaro, meanwhile articles are speculating that it will happen. That is like purgatory. :bang:
Old 5/10/04 | 12:50 AM
Bullitt Member

I wouldn't care how mundane (not ugly, there is a difference) the exterior styling was, since I don't drive my car by sitting in another one and looking at it. I sit inside, and the interior is the best non-Cadillac interior GM has to offer, and trumps just about any domestic interior that isn't a Cadillac or Lincoln. If I had the bank for payments and massive insurance premiums, I'd seriously consider a GTO purchase.