General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Test drove an 06 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 1/10/08, 05:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test drove an 06 GTO

Sometimes we quickly forget why we part company with things. You know the old cliche' "absence makes the heart grow fonder". Well...allow me to debunk that cliche'.

I had an 05 M6 GTO, which I traded in for my GT. Lately, I've been considereing another car to replace my current daily driver (Magnum R/T). I spotted two very clean low mileage GTO's on a local dealer's lot, and decided to stop in.

As I sat in the car, I thought, "nice interior, I always was impressed with that". I spun the key, and dissapointment began to set in. Folks, I am here to tell you that although the LS2 makes nice power, it feels like an engine that belongs in a pick up truck. The NVH characteristics of the LS2 are vastly inferior to the engine in my GT, and the 5.7 hemi in my R/T. I've driven F-body cars and do not recall having the same impression, so perhaps it's a byproduct of the GTO chassis, I'm not sure.

Anyway, about a mile down the road I was reminded of all the reasons I happily sold my GTO. It's been 18 months of ownership with my GT, and zero regrets. I just don't see the appeal of that GTO. I climbed in my R/T and drove home, and it felt like a 7 series BMW compared to the GTO.

So after owning a GTO, and revisiting the idea I feel qualified to say it's junk.
Old 1/10/08, 05:41 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
WOW . . . I loved driving my friend's GTO. To me it seemed like what it is . . . a very good Grand Touring machine. I like the understated looks and the power is nice, but the weight of the car can sometimes feel like a heavy burden on one's shoulders. If I wasn't a Ford/Mustang fan I too would have a GTO in my garage.

That being said, I'll stay with my Mach!
Old 1/10/08, 08:08 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well the GTO wasn't a sales faliure on accident.

I breifly looked into a GTO, I did like the way it drove but i did not like the fact that the trunk was so tiny and the rear seat did not fold down.

And the styling looks like it was designed as a 1996 model.
Old 1/10/08, 12:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Woa Kimosabe. Let's back up a second. Before I go on a rant sounding like a fanboy lets post up a few things first.

JD Powers rated the GTO higher than the Magnum, http://www.jdpower.com/autos/used-ra...TO&fromModel=1

Edmunds rated it higher
http://www.edmunds.com/dodge/magnum/2006/ratings.html
http://www.edmunds.com/pontiac/gto/2...ex...1.Pontiac* (07 magnums rated even lower on the consumer side)

MSN they tied, as did several others. So tell me how 2 vehicles that have been rated either similar ,or in many cases with the GTO higher, how one can be described as "truck" like vs the other. That has to be the very first time anyone anywhere in either media or forum speak that a Magnum feels like a 7 series compared to a GTO. The person I carpool with has a Charger with the Hemi in it and it is in no way smoother or less "truck" like than my GTO. If anything it seems more busy and mechanical to me.

So either you are telling a flagrant lie or just giving a biased opinion (Going with the second here). In either case I call BS (Daimler did not inject that much class in a lowly Magnum) and feel compelled to tell my own Magnum story from about a year back. The one where a Brand new Magnum had the driver side rocker molding fall off driving down the highway, or how the brakes failed because of a faulty nut in the line broke loosing all brake pressure. Does that quantify it as Junk then? Also giving that it is discontinued after a short run is it a Failure too? They did sell less V8 Models than GTO's after all run for run.
Old 1/10/08, 01:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Slims00ls1z28
Woa Kimosabe. Let's back up a second. Before I go on a rant sounding like a fanboy lets post up a few things first.

JD Powers rated the GTO higher than the Magnum, http://www.jdpower.com/autos/used-ra...TO&fromModel=1

Edmunds rated it higher
http://www.edmunds.com/pontiac/gto/2...ex...1.Pontiac* (07 magnums rated even lower on the consumer side)

MSN they tied, as did several others. So tell me how 2 vehicles that have been rated either similar ,or in many cases with the GTO higher, how one can be described as "truck" like vs the other. That has to be the very first time anyone anywhere in either media or forum speak that a Magnum feels like a 7 series compared to a GTO. The person I carpool with has a Charger with the Hemi in it and it is in no way smoother or less "truck" like than my GTO. If anything it seems more busy and mechanical to me.

So either you are telling a flagrant lie or just giving a biased opinion (Going with the second here). In either case I call BS (Daimler did not inject that much class in a lowly Magnum) and feel compelled to tell my own Magnum story from about a year back. The one where a Brand new Magnum had the driver side rocker molding fall off driving down the highway, or how the brakes failed because of a faulty nut in the line broke loosing all brake pressure. Does that quantify it as Junk then? Also giving that it is discontinued after a short run is it a Failure too? They did sell less V8 Models than GTO's after all run for run.
I don't know what to say, I owned one, I drove another yesterday, it's the LS2 engine feels noticably unrefined to me in the GTO. I'm not sure how it feels in the Corvette, but I do know the LS1 in the f-bodies I drove felt smoother also. Perhaps it has something to do with the GTO chassis?

My experience and/or opinion might not be as you see it, and that's fine. I'm certainly not trying to offend you or anyone. If you are happy with the GTO, then honestly I'm happy for you.

As I mentioned, by comparison my 4.6 3V and 5.7 hemi feel smoother and more refined to me. Hey, we're all wired differently.

I'll apologize for using the word "junk". It offeneded you and that wasn't my intent.

As for my Magnum, yes, I guess you would have to call it a failure being cancelled after only a few model years, not that it really matters to me. It never caught on like the 300 and Charger did, but I like it, and frankly that's all that matters. It's been 100% trouble free for me, still tight as a drum, and I am approaching 70k. It is a company car and does not get pampered. On the other hand my GTO leaked, and had issues with the a/c. Lucky with one unlucky with another....who knows?

In the end we go with what works for us and what we like. Good luck with your GTO.
Old 1/10/08, 02:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dunno, your GTO did you buy it new? How was this one treated etc. Too many different factors especially when talking used cars. To me the GTO feels much better and smoother than my Camaro ever thought about even stock. Wind noise, road noise, engine noise all of that save for the exhaust which on a stock Z28 was inaudible at best. The biggest difference I can tell between the charger and GTO is the chargers exhaust note is quieter as well. Other than than that guess I'd just have to be you to understand exactly what you mean.

If I sound pointed, rude, offended or otherwise forgive me, it's going on 48 hours since I had a cigarette and my patience has been a little thin today and certain comments are getting long in the tooth (not yours actually). I happen to love the Magnums BTW. Alot like my car its a car you can drive and not worry about seeing any like it as you drive, Niche vehicles get more props from me than "just another XXXXX."
Old 1/10/08, 03:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
it's going on 48 hours since I had a cigarette and my patience has been a little thin today
stop smoking...I hate it when people use that excuse..

ya ya...free country and everything...I know....
Old 1/10/08, 04:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are my thoughts on the GTO. My best buddy had one for a while before he hit a deer with it and traded it. I drove it a few times, and he drove my Mustang a few times. I was never too excited when I drove the GTO, something about it just felt....average. It drove nicely, yes. It went around corners well, yes. It was quick, as quick as my GT (we lined them up once and it was a dead heat). It just was not fun to drive. My GT is FUN to drive, everyday. The GTO was just a boring driving experience, and I don't know how else to put it.
Old 1/12/08, 06:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I drove a friends 04' GTO a couple years back. It had a nice looking interior with comfy seats and foax suede on the dash and doors. Stereo wasn't bad for factory. Other than that, I was not impressed. Granite it only had a couple thousand miles on it, but it did not feel like it had a 350hp/360tq LS1 under hood. Transmission was notchy/clunky feeling and it had noticable body roll in the turns. To me the car has no real style to it. A bar of soap making love to a jelly bean with a spoiler.
Old 1/13/08, 03:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edmunds rated it higher

woo they rated it higher. is that supposed to mean that we are gonna like it too?
Old 1/14/08, 08:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Nope, you quoted it now read the second line in the first paragraph after the links. Has nothing to do with whether or not you like it. That part I could really care less about.
Old 1/14/08, 03:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
all the LS2's(and others in the family) are thumpy motors that sound like they are filled with marbles. We've been through a few GTO's here on the lot. Not bad cars, but utterly forgetable. And if you think our MUSTANGS squeak and rattle....