General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Taking up 2 parking spaces

Search this Thread

Old 5/15/05, 09:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always park out in the boonies and then I look for an end slot... this way I can scootch all the way over and park on the line (right side)... plus the added benni that most folks are the sole passenger in thier cars so they open the door on the opposite side... so far so good....
Old 5/15/05, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Tiberius1701@May 15, 2005, 9:11 AM
Even if you park in one space out in BFE, there will always be some smarta** who will eventually park right next to you, usually in a POS just to prove a moronic point.
and taking up 2 spaces will **** him off even more.

Just asking for trouble.
Old 5/15/05, 10:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

park across as many spots as you can, preferably perpendicular to the lines
Old 5/15/05, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

As many have said, don't do it. In my younger days, I recall a certain 3 series BMW getting badly egged for taking up 2 spaces at my apartment complex. Pity how things like that can happen
Old 5/15/05, 11:26 AM
I'm people, and I like.

:nono: That's not a very smart thing to do.
Old 5/15/05, 11:00 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by dustindu4@May 14, 2005, 5:36 PM
you're just asking to get keyed
Yup. That's why I don't do it. Just park farther out. Else, you're just asking for trouble.
Old 5/15/05, 11:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

I remember from my youth (I'm lucky I can still remember my youth!) an incident where friends and I from college drove an hour to the nearest real city to go to the mall and it was so busy that every spot was taken in the parking lot. We circled for at least 15 minutes and passed the same yellow Cadillac parked diagonally in two spots near the store entrance several times. We finally lucked out and found a car leaving a spot but before going into the mall, we paid a visit to that Cadillac and ran a shopping cart full speed into its passenger door. Man, the dent was huge but we were pissed. It was wrong, yes, and we have no excuse other than too much testosterone and not enough life experience but I'll tell you, it felt good to do it.

Now, I never take two spots no matter what and just park in the back forty or hug the curb in an end spot. I know personally how people react under the influence of parking-lot-rage so I try to keep a low profile when I'm out and about.
Old 5/16/05, 04:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Purple Hayz@May 15, 2005, 12:03 PM
As many have said, don't do it. In my younger days, I recall a certain 3 series BMW getting badly egged for taking up 2 spaces at my apartment complex. Pity how things like that can happen

There isn't an admission of guilt anywhere in this statement is there..............Hmmmm?
Old 5/16/05, 05:47 AM
GT Member

I take up 2 parking spaces at my office because my office lot is never crowded and I park well away from the door. But when I go say to the mall or something I always park in 1 spot That's just asking for trouble there.
Old 5/16/05, 07:19 AM
V6 Member

More than likely, you're gunna get "keyed" by some jerk just for having a nice car......
why give someone else even more reason?
Old 5/16/05, 11:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Sharp@May 14, 2005, 7:06 PM
As long as your way out, go for it. Even when I park way out, sometimes people will go out of there way to park next to me. I never could figure that one out.
I can. Alignment. Over here, parking spaces are TINY, and when I drive I find myself preferring to park next to a car rather than in all empty spaces. It's just easier.

Or maybe it's just me who's weird.
Old 5/16/05, 11:27 AM
V6 Member

I used to take two spots when I first got the car. I'd park as far away as possible where I saw other people doing the same thing.

I don't think I'd ever try it at a mall or elsewhere. At work, you know the people and they are less likely to do something stupid. At the mall or supermarket, there are people that don't realize that you worked hard to get what you have and they can be a lot more juvenile.
Old 5/16/05, 12:12 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it wrong, according to the law yes because you can get a ticket for it. Do I do it, sure I do. Do donkey donuts still park right next to me, of course. Taking up 2 spots gets a lot of attention. I only do it at the far end of a parking lot where paranoid people such as myself park, along with donkey donuts that want to p!ss us off. If someone leaves a note on your car they most likely drive a beater and are jealous. I'd rather see a note left on my car than a scratch or dent on the side.
Old 5/16/05, 12:15 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They should have "nice cars only" spots that are wide like handicapped spots. Junkers, clunkers and beaters would get towed
Old 5/16/05, 12:21 PM
V6 Member

As if having someone park next to you was the end of the world.

Every time I walk by someone who has taken up two spaces, I'm filled with the urge to key-scratch the car. I don't do it, but the urge is there. Few things anger me more than someone who thinks they don't have to follow the rules that everyone else does.

And as a side note, every time I walk past a vehicle with some sort of sticker that threatens me with a gun, I get the same urge.
Old 5/16/05, 12:30 PM
Cobra Member

Just because you take pride in your car, doesnt mean you can take up 2 spaces.
Old 5/16/05, 02:26 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by dustindu4@May 14, 2005, 3:36 PM
Sorry dude, but he is right.

Oscar
Old 5/16/05, 02:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by dustindu4@May 14, 2005, 3:36 PM
I could care less if others see it as "wrong" or me being an "a**". I don't park in two spaces though for the exact reason Dustin pointed out. You are asking some jerk to key your car. Naturally, the only response for those that think you are in the wrong would be to do damage to your property. So, I park normally not because I care what others think, but the reality that others actions will be unequal in response to however "wrong" it might be to take up two spots.

All these veiled admissions (and some not so veiled) to damaging other people's cars are ridiculous. There is NEVER an excuse to damage someone else's property. The damage done to someone by another parking in two spaces doesn't nearly equal the damage of keying someone's car. Anyone that gets caught damaging somone else's property should be shot.....yes, shot! Then maybe there would less punks around to do it.
Old 5/16/05, 04:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Some of you people that park way out are wondering why someone parks right next to you.

Think about it, someone is messing with you because you annoyed them (there are lots of small people in the world). Now imgaine what the same person would do if you took up 2 spaces?

There will always be someone out there trying to ruin your day because their life is crappy. These people are the ones who will do annonymous things such as keying your car while you are inside. The less you do to draw attention to your car the safer you are.

I reccomend parking next to a curb/shrub/bush/etc and very closely to it. That means you cant get a ding on that side and it gives the other space a lot of room.

If you are just running in quickly find the nicest possible car to park next to and avoid SUV's. Parking next to a vette will be safer than parking next to a chevette. SUV's mean kids and soccer moms who dont pay attention or fling doors open (increase chances by 50% if mom is talking on cell phone), so avoid them like the plague. Also avoid grand marquis, crown vics, and buicks (avoid all old people cars). Old people are awful and often have joint problems that mean they have to open doors as wide as possible. And the most imporant rule of all time NEVER under any circumstances drive your stang to Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart has special additives in the air that make people cranky and rude.
Old 5/16/05, 04:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have to completely agree Jay... well said

Quick Reply: Taking up 2 parking spaces