Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Sludge smudges Toyota

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...702070349/1148
Old 2/8/07, 08:43 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I remeber reading about toyota's sludge problems over at Bob The Oil Guy's site.
Old 2/8/07, 09:34 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the way they talk about this Toyota situation getting an inordinate amount of coverage because of their reputation for quality. Quite strange since if I hadn't been reading this thread on this board, I would've never even known about it. By contrast, if this had happened to Ford, CNN would've done a 3 day deal on it.

I mean, it's only engines. Some of which cost as much as $10,000. It doesn't really deserve national coverage does it??

Old 2/8/07, 09:38 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice find.
Old 2/8/07, 09:39 AM
GT Member

Reading the Detroit News piece makes it seem as if it's a current problem; it is not. The last engines to be impacted with a problem were in 2002 models. That is 5 years ago. I think the correct perspective is being lost in the article, but then, it is the DETROIT News.
Old 2/8/07, 09:48 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by tuco
Reading the Detroit News piece makes it seem as if it's a current problem; it is not. The last engines to be impacted with a problem were in 2002 models. That is 5 years ago. I think the correct perspective is being lost in the article, but then, it is the DETROIT News.
It's a current problem from a legal standpoint, hence the relevance of the article.
Old 2/8/07, 10:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Stories about the Explorer/Firestone tire issue continued well after it was no longer a problem. Why are you giving Toyota a free pass?
Old 2/8/07, 11:11 AM
GT Member

It's not a matter of giving Toyota a "free pass" on this, as I would not expect to read in a newspaper that (for example) in the case of Ford - "tire failure/rollover problem is latest issue to dent automaker's reputation". In the case of Ford's problems with the Explorer, as with the Toyota engine sludge problems, they were 5 or more years ago and is old news; not the "latest issue" as the Detroit News puts it. Ford has moved on from the problem and so has Toyota.

I find the articles, and certainly the cyber polls, often are biased and/or negative against all makers excluding the Big 3. I guess a local Detroit paper it is bound to be; but as an international website, the bias becomes obvious.

I have had many different vehicles over the years, both domestic and import, and some have been problematic from both domestic and import makers. In the past 20 years however, I would have to say that, generally speaking, the domestics have had more problems than the imports. That said, I think the domestic makers have improved their quality a lot in the immediately past years.

My comment was directed at the bias of the newspaper, and not a slam on any auto maker at all.
Old 2/8/07, 12:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It's not a matter of giving Toyota a "free pass" on this, as I would not expect to read in a newspaper that (for example) in the case of Ford - "tire failure/rollover problem is latest issue to dent automaker's reputation". In the case of Ford's problems with the Explorer, as with the Toyota engine sludge problems, they were 5 or more years ago and is old news; not the "latest issue" as the Detroit News puts it. Ford has moved on from the problem and so has Toyota.

I find the articles, and certainly the cyber polls, often are biased and/or negative against all makers excluding the Big 3. I guess a local Detroit paper it is bound to be; but as an international website, the bias becomes obvious.

I have had many different vehicles over the years, both domestic and import, and some have been problematic from both domestic and import makers. In the past 20 years however, I would have to say that, generally speaking, the domestics have had more problems than the imports. That said, I think the domestic makers have improved their quality a lot in the immediately past years.

My comment was directed at the bias of the newspaper, and not a slam on any auto maker at all.
As Evil_Capri stated, it's still a current legal issue that Toyota is actively dealing with. That makes it current news.
Old 2/8/07, 12:45 PM
GT Member

Current news maybe as to the legal issues, but not the "lastest issue". However, it's semantics we are arguing; I see your POV, and I trust you see mine.

Let's just leave it be for now.
Old 2/8/07, 01:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Current news maybe as to the legal issues, but not the "lastest issue". However, it's semantics we are arguing; I see your POV, and I trust you see mine.

Let's just leave it be for now.
No problem!