General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Sell or Keep? 02 Infiniti QX4

Search this Thread

Old 1/5/14, 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sell or Keep? 02 Infiniti QX4

I am the original owner of an 02 Qx4, 117000 miles, in good shape body wise and interior. Problem is I am at a cross roads on selling or keeping because of some mechanical issues that are developing
Shocks and struts need to be replaced to a tune of about 500 bucks
An oil leak has developed at the seal on the engine block that connects the oil filter to the engine, cost of about 3-400 to repair. the leak is minor but unacceptable.

the car is worth between 4500 to 6000 and I have been offered 5k cash for the car as is.

We need a second car as both my wife and I work, this is her car, and I am reluctant to put more money into the car due to its value.

So, any opinions or thoughts on my dilemma?

thanks
Old 1/5/14, 03:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think if I were in your shoes I would take the 5k offer. Saves you the headache of further issues, and you are getting a lot of money for it being in less than optimal condition. Basically if you fixed everything you wouldn't make any more money since the highest you could get for it would only be 200 bucks more net over the 5k you could snag now.

The bad part about buying something used instead is that with another used car you could be walking into a whole new set of issues you don't know about. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

Good luck.
Old 1/7/14, 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks cntchds, I am coming to that conclusion but I don't think I want to go a used car route, probably going new, which is whole different issue.
So far I have narrowed a replacement vehicle as an Escape or Subaru Outback/Forrester but I am not thrilled with either choice.
The wife is used to a luxury ride and she is very spoiled.
thanks for the reply
Old 1/7/14, 03:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang259
Thanks cntchds, I am coming to that conclusion but I don't think I want to go a used car route, probably going new, which is whole different issue. So far I have narrowed a replacement vehicle as an Escape or Subaru Outback/Forrester but I am not thrilled with either choice. The wife is used to a luxury ride and she is very spoiled. thanks for the reply
Check out the Mazda CX-5. We looked at the Escape (I have a 2005 now) and I'm just unimpressed by the fit and finish, and I don't care for the design. The CX-5 is down on power, but has a lot nicer features for the price. And it's a lot simpler inside. Fully loaded MSRP is $32k, with every option - heated leather, HIDs, sunroof, etc. and that's with the 2.5 engine with 185hp. Comparable to the 1.6 Escape, but more fun to drive and better equipped than an SEL.
Old 1/8/14, 02:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks cntchds, I am coming to that conclusion but I don't think I want to go a used car route, probably going new, which is whole different issue.
So far I have narrowed a replacement vehicle as an Escape or Subaru Outback/Forrester but I am not thrilled with either choice.
The wife is used to a luxury ride and she is very spoiled.
thanks for the reply
My mom got a '12 Outback, and I love it. After she got hers one by one all of her siblings bought one, too, and her parents just bought one last month. They all got the same car. Same color. The Christmas party at my aunt's house looked like a dealership ran out of room at the lot.

She got the 4 banger with the CVT, and it's pretty nifty. It's weird not feeling it shift, but it can get up and go surprisingly well for a small motor in a car like that. Go test drive one. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Only thing I really, really hate is that there is no climate control for the rear seating. Have to do the aim a vent up and over the front row deal which is very frustrating for an otherwise excellent car.
Old 1/8/14, 06:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Weren't the QX4/Pathfinders of that era recalled for rusting out badly (something in the front of the vehicle), a lot ot them ending up being bought back by Nissan?

I know somebody up here in the Northeast that got theirs bought back for a good chunk of cash

As far as SUV's, check out the squinting new Jeep Cherokee ... 271-horse V6 and 9-speed automatic ... a good friend of mine just got one and he and his wife love it
Old 1/9/14, 07:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Great thoughts on some vehicle choices, I will be looking at all the suggestions. I haven't driven an outback or jeep, so they are on the list. I have driven the Mazda and Escape and they are ok.
Hey Gabe, our QX4 has 0 rust and actually the body is pretty darn good, it's the mechanicals that are the issue on ours. How's your engine mod coming along?
Old 1/10/14, 06:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Great thoughts on some vehicle choices, I will be looking at all the suggestions. I haven't driven an outback or jeep, so they are on the list. I have driven the Mazda and Escape and they are ok.
Hey Gabe, our QX4 has 0 rust and actually the body is pretty darn good, it's the mechanicals that are the issue on ours. How's your engine mod coming along?
Trying to set it up to start the install on a Thursday this month.
A friend has a sign shop that has a bay I can work in, heated work area, and can have the bay for Thursday-Monday if needed, maybe even longer.
I plan/hope to have it done by the next day, but who knows?

Good to hear about the zero-rust ... good luck with whatever you guys decide about the Infiniti