General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Leaving Mustangs. Miata Next?

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/14, 10:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Leaving Mustangs. Miata Next?

I've had the worst luck when it comes to Mustangs. My first one I was chasing issues from day one when I dragged it to my house on a dolly. It lasted to 220+k miles before a squirrel ate the engine harness. My current car has blown a head gasket, thrown a rod through the pan, had innumerable ignition issues, and who knows what I'm forgetting.

Anyhow, I think it's time for me to move on, and I'm thinking my next car is going to be a Miata. I know the Arin in all of you is thinking "ERHMUHGERDNERSSSS PERP ERP HEADRIGHTTSSSSS", and before you finish that string of SSS's that would likely have taken up four or five more lines to type I will tell you, No. I want one with standard headlights. That's 99+ for those of you who didn't know. I didn't either.

Right now I'm thinking of an 01. I believe it was 01 that had all of the upgrades to the interior. Before that it looks like an old car. Hopefully with a Torsen, Nardi wheel, and possibly 6-speed trans. (SE?) Those are wish list. I think Torsen is on the necessities list, but the other ones I could live without. I am hoping that I can also pick up a hard top so I don't need to worry as much about leaks and tears.

Other than that I know virtually nothing about NB's. I have been told pretty extensively to look out for rust, but in CA we really don't see that very often. Does anyone have any experience with 01-05 Miata's? How many miles is a scary amount? Seems like a lot I've seen have a ton of miles and still hold their value pretty well.

Any helpful hints would be great!
Old 1/3/14, 11:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you been puffing the magic dragon? Think, your leaving 260 HP for 140 HP, that's not even cool, and, it's like a Barbie dream car, except any women that you convince to ride in it won't look anything like Barbie, trust me. If your actually going to leave the mustang world, I'd suggest a pontiac solstice, looks cooler, and has a slightly higher hp.
Old 1/3/14, 11:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Ok check this out. I like it. Booya
Old 1/3/14, 11:59 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Get a Shelby Miata FTW!
Old 1/4/14, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Supersnake04
Think, your leaving 260 HP for 140 HP.
I'm also leaving 3300lbs for 2300lbs.
Old 1/4/14, 12:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I was actually looking at the Miatas, as another toy you might say. There are plenty out there for a good price.
Old 1/4/14, 02:01 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I gave mine to my father. It's a great car. It's so much fun to drive. Convertibles don't seem to need a lot of hp to be fun. They are just so nimble. Great car! You'll enjoy it.
Old 1/4/14, 02:15 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 588 Likes on 422 Posts
Originally Posted by cntchds
I've had the worst luck when it comes to Mustangs. My first one I was chasing issues from day one when I dragged it to my house on a dolly. It lasted to 220+k miles before a squirrel ate the engine harness. My current car has blown a head gasket, thrown a rod through the pan, had innumerable ignition issues, and who knows what I'm forgetting.

Anyhow, I think it's time for me to move on, and I'm thinking my next car is going to be a Miata. I know the Arin in all of you is thinking "ERHMUHGERDNERSSSS PERP ERP HEADRIGHTTSSSSS", and before you finish that string of SSS's that would likely have taken up four or five more lines to type I will tell you, No. I want one with standard headlights. That's 99+ for those of you who didn't know. I didn't either.

Right now I'm thinking of an 01. I believe it was 01 that had all of the upgrades to the interior. Before that it looks like an old car. Hopefully with a Torsen, Nardi wheel, and possibly 6-speed trans. (SE?) Those are wish list. I think Torsen is on the necessities list, but the other ones I could live without. I am hoping that I can also pick up a hard top so I don't need to worry as much about leaks and tears.

Other than that I know virtually nothing about NB's. I have been told pretty extensively to look out for rust, but in CA we really don't see that very often. Does anyone have any experience with 01-05 Miata's? How many miles is a scary amount? Seems like a lot I've seen have a ton of miles and still hold their value pretty well.

Any helpful hints would be great!
I'm not thinking (whatever the hell that was that you typed). The Miata is one of the most popular track cars there is. Not all about power, but about fun. From what I hear from my track rat friends the Miata is about the best thing out there for an entry level guy. I wouldn't want one personally, but I damned sure wouldn't give anyone crap about it. Its a hell of a car for track days on a budget.

When it comes to a tossable, affordable, entry level, fun car for track days, they are like a sore pecker.

Hard to beat.
Old 1/4/14, 04:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I owned a 2004 MazdaSpeed Miata from 2005 to February 2013 at which time some #$% woman texting ended it's life. It was one fun car on the street. I never worried about the "girl car" reputation but it is out there if you're concerned about that. Closes thing you'll come to a street legal go cart on steriods, lol. Of course as with all my cars I modded the hell out of it. I was at 260 rwhp (which is as far as you wanted to go on the stock internals). A lot of people don't know that there were two years of the MazdaSpeed Miata 2004 & 2005. I will warn you that if you're looking at this model they have an issue from the factory in that about 50% of them have a mysteries bogging issue. This is an easy and low cost fix but thought I'd put it out there.

Last edited by GT50GO; 1/4/14 at 04:31 AM.
Old 1/4/14, 05:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
I've taken test drives in a couple miatas, including a mazdaspeed Miata. Car's are a blast. I also seriously considered one, as they are just a blast to drive. If I had room in the garage, I'd probably have a Miata in addition to my Mustang. Maybe down the road... they are great though

Similarly a S2000 is basically a high powered Miata. Those are also wonderfully balanced and a blast to drive.
Old 1/4/14, 06:42 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Miata + Pushrod 5.0 = Monster Miata, best of both worlds.

Anyways, I've considered a nice used Miata as a DD so I can retire the GT500 to the weekends. I would certainly miss the power but the fuel savings would be nice (probably around 200-300 bucks in a month I decide to drive a lot).

Last edited by bob; 1/4/14 at 06:45 AM.
Old 1/4/14, 07:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I thought about a MX-5. Me and my wife test drove a bunch of roadsters (Mercedes, BMW, Honda S 2000, Porsche, 370Z,etc). We bought a 2003 BMW Z4si in 2006....best 25K I've ever spent!! Big trunk, great handling, great brakes, seat heaters, fast and it has never gotten less than 30 mpg!!!
Attached Thumbnails Leaving Mustangs. Miata Next?-100_1318-medium-.jpg  
Old 1/4/14, 08:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Oh I'll never forget the 08 z4 I miss her so much.... Sexy as hell...
Old 1/4/14, 05:26 PM

From a Mustang to a Miata, not sure I could do that
Old 1/4/14, 05:34 PM
Post *****

deep down you know you want popups

However a 6 speed and torsen diff does sound pretty sweet. but whatever you get, make sure you get your hands on an autokonexion fastback hardtop
Old 1/4/14, 06:54 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Miata's can be pretty sweet. I'd love to have one as a track car, and there's ton's of aftermarket stuff for them. I just can't fit in one. Even in the passenger seat, I couldn't get the roof up with me in it.
Old 1/4/14, 07:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
You already know I support this decision. There's pretty much nothing bad to say, except power is pretty low. It's still a blast to drive though. What's your budget? Can you swing a Mazdapseed? Have you considered an S2000? When I was in school, I was searching the hell out of both of these cars, and never got one. I still want to own one of each in my lifetime though...
Old 1/4/14, 07:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey, why don't you try to find an older M3? My dad has an E46 which he lets me drive sometimes, and that car is mean. And the i6 sounds kinda bada$$.
Old 1/4/14, 07:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Supersnake04
Hey, why don't you try to find an older M3? My dad has an E46 which he lets me drive sometimes, and that car is mean. And the i6 sounds kinda bada$$.
He wants a car that will give him less headaches, not more. Nor cost an arm and a leg for parts.
Old 1/4/14, 07:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

They don't have many problems, the main problem is wear on the vanos, but a lot of them have already been replaced. That car has been really reliable and runs great. I even wanted to replace my sn-95 with an m3/m5 at one point due to its consistent mechanical problems, but I decided I liked it too much to sell.

Quick Reply: Leaving Mustangs. Miata Next?