General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Pics of the "competition"

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/04, 08:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by grabbergreen+September 28, 2004, 11:20 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (grabbergreen @ September 28, 2004, 11:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-houtex@September 28, 2004, 10:48 PM
Well, they've gotten spy pics of the newest Dodge to be comin' down the pike, and it's supposedly the Charger.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/dodge-charger.html

At least, that's what they think it is. Rumors abound (probably denial/hoping) that this isn't it, that the actual Charger is still under wraps, and this will be named something else. I dunno, 400 or Dynasty or something...

BUT....That's not even competition, if that's Charger. Which is a shame to have that name attached to an otherwise nice car. Kinda like trying to name an SUV the Road Runner or a truck GTO, yeah? It's no Charger, IMO.

And let me tell ya, they are UP in arms over there. How funny. Well, honestly, I kinda am too, because, until the new Mustang rolled around, I was lusting after the '99 show Charger. THAT was a pretty car. They needed to do that. DCX needs to learn from Ford's experience in trying to change Mustang into a Probe. Yeah, THAT happened, didn't it?

Not to worry now. My very first ever new car will be the newly designed Mustang, 'cause I can't not get one now. It's just about perfect for me. Maybe a color problem, but hey, I can fix that somehow...

I dunno. I just thought I'd share that. Mods, move it if ya wanna.
Actually, the transition from 2-door to 4-door makes sense in the Charger's case...

... hear me out first...

Keep in mind that the original Charger was not a Pony-car. It was considered an "Intermediate" car, alongside the GTO, Chevelle, and Road Runner. These cars were then what cars like the Acura TL are now-- performance mid-size cars. In fact, the 2004 GTO and the Mercedes-Benz CL-class are about the only "midsize" 2-doors that I can think of. The market has evolved. 4-door models are no longer virtually exclusive to the largest of cars. Along these lines the new Charger will effectively serve the same niche as the old Charger.

The Mustang, Camaro, Firebird, Javelin, Barracuda, and Challenger were smaller than the "intermediate" cars, and, thus, were given their own distinct size class-- the ponycar. The Ponycar was unique in that it was targeted directly at younger buyers craving performance. Incidentally, after the Japanese invasion of the auto market in the '70's and '80's, this formula was revised. The cars got even smaller. RWD gave way to FWD. The market niche once occupied by the Mustang and Camaro were overrun with the Toyota Celica, Eagle Talon, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Mazda MX-6, Acura Integra... you get the picture. These cars, compact and aimed at younger buyers, still retain the 2-door formula to this day.

Hence why it would make sense that the Mustang, Camaro, and Firebird retain a 2-door format. Hence why I would be up-in-arms if Dodge called a sedan "Challenger" or "Barracuda". As for "Charger" and "Road Runner", it kinda makes sense to give them 4-doors if you consider the evolution of the automotive market...

I'm sure many of you disagree, but this is my perspective, and it makes sense to me. [/b][/quote]
But in the 60's they had names for 4 door Chargers (I believe this was the B body platform), they were called Coronets. 4door Road runners were Satellites. 4 door GTO's were Tempests.

Why not bring one of those names back for a 4 door and leave the Charger for a 2door version of the car.
Old 9/29/04, 11:21 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Flyinlow@September 29, 2004, 8:11 AM
But in the 60's they had names for 4 door Chargers (I believe this was the B body platform), they were called Coronets. 4door Road runners were Satellites. 4 door GTO's were Tempests.

Why not bring one of those names back for a 4 door and leave the Charger for a 2door version of the car.
You do have a point that I did, in fact, overlook.

However, there's a bit of a problem-- "Coronet" and "Satellite" are names fit for an Accord-like, FWD, ho-hum midsize sedan. They're very wussy-sounding names.

Dodge can't afford to do this with their new vehicle lineup-- they would ruin Dodge's efforts at being the "Family cars for Bad-*****" company.

"Charger" is a bold name. Given the fact that the Coronet, at least to my knowledge, never recieved a powertrain strong enough to give it "muscle car" status, it would have been inappropriate for an athletic-looking car with a 340-hp HEMI.

Ever since the HEMI has been brought back to the Chrysler/Dodge lineups, Dodge has been creating a unique niche-- family vehicles for guys who don't want to give up their sport coupes (Caravan, Stratus, and Neon excluded, of course). "Charger" projects an image of strength and gotta-have-it coolness. So do names like "Avenger" and "Intrepid."
Old 9/29/04, 02:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@September 28, 2004, 10:08 PM
Its just that the proposed SRT8 300 coupe(most likely a charger will follow) will price right up against the next SVT, which is starting to look like will come with an underrated; easy-to-make-600 hp engine.
600?? Which one, the SRT-8 or the SVT?
Old 9/29/04, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 03muzzy6+September 29, 2004, 12:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (03muzzy6 @ September 29, 2004, 12:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BlackRiderX@September 28, 2004, 11:44 PM
It will sell better than the GTO, but only if it has a HEMi.
interesting you brought that up.

It seems that when it comes to Dodge, their cars, no matter how poorly built they are, will only sell cuz of the HEMI.

Sad.... this only reinforces how stupid some people are. [/b][/quote]
That was indeed my point. B)
Old 9/29/04, 09:10 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by freebass55+September 29, 2004, 4:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (freebass55 @ September 29, 2004, 4:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-kevinb120@September 28, 2004, 10:08 PM
Its just that the proposed SRT8 300 coupe(most likely a charger will follow) will price right up against the next SVT, which is starting to look like will come with an underrated; easy-to-make-600 hp engine.
600?? Which one, the SRT-8 or the SVT? [/b][/quote]
The SVT, of course. Note the "SVT, which" parallelism.

Dodge is in need of a coupe priced well below the Viper with great looks and performance. I say produce a reincarnation of the Stealth, but totally American.
Old 9/30/04, 12:47 PM
GT Member

The camoflagued looks like this '99 concept of the Charger
Old 9/30/04, 11:10 PM
GT Member

Thumbs down

Originally posted by CanadianStang@September 30, 2004, 12:50 PM
The camoflagued looks like this '99 concept of the Charger
I hear a lot of people saying they wished Dodge made the new Charger as per the concept.

I, for one, am glad they haven't. I think that... thing... looks too much like a Camaro... my stomach threatens to reject my supper just thinking about it...