General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

OK, this is bad

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/05, 10:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is sorta of old news. My sister has an '01 Camry with the 5SFE engine. She received a letter from Toyota giving an 8-year warranty against any sludge damage.

I have a 93 with an iron block 3ZFE V6 which has been uber reliable - I lucked out before they switched over to the aluminum block 1MZ
Old 7/23/05, 11:49 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I think there is some video floating around regarding this issue as well.

Let's keep this conversation civil.
Old 7/23/05, 11:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

I agree Doug, I think the cheap shot was uncalled for. The only reason we say that, instead of calling you a name or telling you to screw off is because we like you, and we know that given the opportunity, you can be a pretty cool kid.

TRMN8TR mabye it's not the best idea to start your first day at the forum by immediately taking shots at valuable, not to mention senior member, of the community. Just a suggestion.

By the way, you car is awesome.
Old 7/24/05, 12:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Fordracing200@July 23, 2005, 9:30 PM
I did tell him, he is just ignorant, and don't post things when you don't know anything about the argument, it just makes you look uneducated.

I have read every single post of every single thread on this forum that relates to this topic. I do know about the intense arguments that have taken place on said subject. There are times I dont agree with Zoran, and times I dont agree with you but I dont say anything.
I apologize if I did, but I didnt intend to insult you, just a request to take the higher road.

Anyway, what exactly is engine sludge? dirt collecting in the oil in the engine or pistons? reason I ask is my dad has a 97 camry thats closing in on 100,000 miles. I know the article said synthetic oil is the only solution, but if its dirt collecting thats the issue, how does the oil being synthetic prevent in that? wouldnt that be more of an engine design flaw?

I'm sure my understanding is wrong, so anyone who knows, please help unravel it for me

:geek:
Old 7/24/05, 09:39 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Jason- If you pass by the video, make sure to post it. I would really want to see it. I'm gonna do a small search for it.

Jim- valuable? :scratch:
It's all in good fun
Old 7/24/05, 11:53 AM
Bullitt Member

TRMN8TR mabye it's not the best idea to start your first day at the forum by immediately taking shots at valuable, not to mention senior member, of the community. Just a suggestion.
It may be one of my first posts on these boards but it is certainly not my first day on this planet. I am a PROUD member of The United Auto Workers and it really upsets me when these companiies like Toyota, Honda etc....are hollowing out our economy helped by the people of this great country.
Don't worry though, it won't be long before this country will no longer produce anything and will just become a service oriented nation.
Take a look over your shoulders and take a look at the next economic wave that is coming; it's called China and the corporations from this country cannot build plants over there fast enough.
So keep on supporting these foriegn built products pretty soon you will all be out of a job.
As far as taking shots at some "senior member" of an internet forum, I'm one to say what's on my mind, afterall I believe we still have our freedom in this country right? Get some thicker skin.

Hec
Old 7/24/05, 12:26 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by bigred0383+July 24, 2005, 1:02 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigred0383 @ July 24, 2005, 1:02 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I agree Doug, I think the cheap shot was uncalled for. The only reason we say that, instead of calling you a name or telling you to screw off is because we like you, and we know that given the opportunity, you can be a pretty cool kid.

By the way, you car is awesome.
[/b]

I am sorry, i just hate it when people fight me in an argumenet to the death and i knew i was right. I guess i will just stay away from these arguments. How i act depends on the topic, i always liked you, but i don't like to be told to grow up either. I am happily suprised to see everyone turning so civil about this.

<!--QuoteBegin-pilot1129
@July 24, 2005, 1:31 AM
I have read every single post of every single thread on this forum that relates to this topic. I do know about the intense arguments that have taken place on said subject. There are times I dont agree with Zoran, and times I dont agree with you but I dont say anything.
I apologize if I did, but I didnt intend to insult you, just a request to take the higher road.

:geek:
[/quote]
Oh okay, i took it as an insult. I guess i shouldnt o fmade the comment.
Old 7/24/05, 12:31 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Hec (is that short for Hector?)-
I like seeing thought out arguments like you have written in the last post
Make sure to keep doing it because a lot of people on the board like seeing people's arguments to help broaden their vision on certain issues.
Sorry if my reply to the past post seemed harsh, I wasnt trying to come off that way
Old 7/24/05, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Red Star@July 23, 2005, 3:44 PM
Just read this part. Regular oil changes are at 3,000 miles or 3 months, not 4,000 miles or even 6,000 miles.

Alemany said she showed her dealer oil change receipts from Jiffy Lube showing that she had changed the oil in the Sienna regularly.

„I might not have done oil changes every 4,000 miles,†she said. „I have some at 4,000 and some at 6,000 - but I have had oil changes. But they wouldn't accept my Jiffy Lube receipts.â€

But did you read this part?
Toyota and Lexus owners manuals stipulate oil changes every 7,500 miles or six months, whichever comes first, under normal driving conditions, and 5,000 miles or four months under severe driving conditions.
Sounds like she's well within the manufacturer's specified limitations. 3,000 miles or 3 months is a scam, there's no need to change your oil before 5,000 miles unless it's been sitting unused for a prolonged period of time, several weeks or so. Most domestics still go by 3mo/3000mi but looks like Toyota specifies differently.
Old 7/24/05, 12:39 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by TRMN8TR@July 24, 2005, 11:56 AM
It may be one of my first posts on these boards but it is certainly not my first day on this planet. I am a PROUD member of The United Auto Workers and it really upsets me when these companiies like Toyota, Honda etc....are hollowing out our economy helped by the people of this great country.
Don't worry though, it won't be long before this country will no longer produce anything and will just become a service oriented nation.
Take a look over your shoulders and take a look at the next economic wave that is coming; it's called China and the corporations from this country cannot build plants over there fast enough.
So keep on supporting these foriegn built products pretty soon you will all be out of a job.
As far as taking shots at some "senior member" of an internet forum, I'm one to say what's on my mind, afterall I believe we still have our freedom in this country right? Get some thicker skin.

Hec
I agree with you, BUT if import are so succesful like you mention why would you say that Toyota and the rest of imports are junks?
Old 7/24/05, 12:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Does anyone have the numbers of Foreign car companies who have plants in the states?? I know of a few who are providing jobs here.
Old 7/24/05, 12:42 PM
Bullitt Member

By here do you mean in the Virginia area or in the US, i didnt know of any auto plants in VA
Old 7/24/05, 12:42 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by matic@July 24, 2005, 12:40 PM
Most domestics still go by 3mo/3000mi but looks like Toyota specifies differently.
Maybe that's the problem for Toyota. I always change oil in my Camry every 3,000 miles and so far no problems at all.
Old 7/24/05, 01:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by thezeppelin8@July 24, 2005, 2:34 PM
Hec (is that short for Hector?)-
I like seeing thought out arguments like you have written in the last post
Make sure to keep doing it because a lot of people on the board like seeing people's arguments to help broaden their vision on certain issues.
Sorry if my reply to the past post seemed harsh, I wasnt trying to come off that way
No offense taken and thanks for the kind words, it just pains me to see our jobs being outsourced to other nations and we just sit back and let it happen.

Does anyone have the numbers of Foreign car companies who have plants in the states?? I know of a few who are providing jobs here.
Yes there are foriegn auto manufacturing plants in this country, and don't think for a minute the money stays here though.
Old 7/24/05, 01:35 PM
I'm people, and I like.

There have been other threads that have talked about outsourcing and the such. You may want to search for those threads and add your thoughts.
Old 7/24/05, 01:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I meant in the states. The employees paycheck stays here though.
Old 7/24/05, 01:46 PM
Cobra Member

Knowing how much Zoran likes Toyota, I think it's to his credit that he started this thread.

I'm still amazed by comments about import junk. All car companies have problems from time to time but today almost everyone builds a quality product and everything, no matter where it comes from, is far better than the cars I grew up with.

Yes, some of the money form a Honda plant here goes back to Japan but don't forget that they pay salaries here and a lot of people benefit from that. I'm not happy about outsourcing but business exists to make a profit and when they can lower costs by going outside the country they'll do it in a heartbeat.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what percentage of the current Mustang comes from foreign countries?
Old 7/24/05, 01:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Not sure. I know there was something about the transmissions coming from France and somewhere else. I'm sure someone knows.

And to expand on the jobs, don't forget the companies who ship the cars, the dealerships, mechanics, etc.
Old 7/24/05, 05:22 PM
Cobra Member

That's what I meant by a lot of people benefiting from it. The money they earn from, say Honda--could be anyone--goes for cars, food houses, clothes, etc. I'd rather see American ownership than foreign, but those days are long gone.

I don't want to start a flame war here, but the UAW has a lot to do with foreign manufacturers setting up shop here. It's all about costs, and there have been quite a few posts on this forum over the last year or so about that. Simply speaking, they're pricing themselves out of business.
Old 7/24/05, 06:01 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by scottie1113@July 24, 2005, 1:49 PM
Knowing how much Zoran likes Toyota, I think it's to his credit that he started this thread.
I'm not really that big fan of Toyota, but I do have a lot of respect for them, for everything they did in the past 40 years. Recently I bought book called The End of Detroit and it talks about auto industry in the USA during past 40 years. I was amazed what Toyota and Honda did. I was especially amazed with Lexus because that car is probably better than Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Cadillac, Lincoln ... and its only been on market for 14 years.

Oh there is also one more thing. Toyota is sponsor of Red Star and Red Star's stadium will be named Toyota Stadium pretty soon.

Quick Reply: OK, this is bad