General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

NOW, they got my attention

Search this Thread

Old 8/12/05, 12:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This Monday I went for groceries and gas was $2.10 I thought I would get some later that day. When I went back it was $2.19 so I thought I'd wait. Next day it was $2.29. I thought the heck with this I'll wait it'll drop. Thursday it went up to $2.39. I thought I never seen it this high around here (Atlanta) in my life. I'll wait it'll go down. Today (Friday) I went by the gas station and it was $2.50 !!!! WTF?? Anyway my car is now set up to burn high test which was $2.70 :scratch: Freakin unbelievable !! Analysts say we have plenty of reserves and they can't understand the escalation. I think we have some mighty greedy leaders :notnice: running this country now. There isn't much we can do I guess. Any of you guys have any ideas ??? How are my Canadian buddies doing?? How are your gas prices for an Imperial gallon?? What do you guys think??They got us so conditioned to these inflated prices that we'll be happy to pay $2.10 again.
Old 8/12/05, 12:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fill that tank and count your blessings... it's been 2.70 for 87 octane here in CA for a long time.
Old 8/12/05, 12:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by biznazion@August 12, 2005, 12:15 PM
Fill that tank and count your blessings... it's been 2.70 for 87 octane here in CA for a long time.

Greed - yep a little of that. Supply and demand? Ok.

And the Golden Rule. He who has the gold, makes the rules...
Old 8/12/05, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by jwenger@August 12, 2005, 12:10 PM
I think we have some mighty greedy leaders :notnice: running this country now.
What do any of the leaders of this country have to do with the price of a gallon of gas (or a gallon of milk, for that matter) in the open market? There is something you can do about it...don't buy any more gas. And the next time you buy bottled water, figure up how much per gallon you paid for that.
Old 8/12/05, 12:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I second that, leaders of the country have nothing to do with the price of gas.

What I do have trouble with is when Exxon published it made $71 BILLION for the quarter! WTH?!?!

I also have trouble with the price per barrel going up and simulataneously, the price at the pump goes up. Um...the gas at the pump has already been paid for! They're not linked!!!
Old 8/12/05, 12:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by red454@August 12, 2005, 12:23 PM
And the Golden Rule. He who has the gold, makes the rules...

There never was a truer statement.
Old 8/12/05, 01:15 PM
Retired Tms Staff

One of your Canadian buddies here
Pretty peeved too. Where I live we make fuel. It gets shipped out and then shipped back to the gas station. Prices just went up to $1.06 per litre. So ya, that is $4.11 per US gallon. So you guys think you have it bad, try living here.

Gas station owners say they have no control, yet, when I worked at a gas station over 16 years ago, once a day someone had to go around to the other gas stations so we could find out what they were charging. If thier price was up, our price went up. It is not a coincidence that you'll see 3 gas stations on a corner, owned by different companies, selling gas at the same price. If that they had no control I am sure their prices would not match unless they all had the exact same overhead, yadda-yadda-yadda.

Government says they have no control - so why do they tax gas?

I think I need to come up with some sort of business and get it put through the government so everyone MUST own one. Seems that is the way to make a lot of money these days. Kinda like car insurance.
Old 8/12/05, 01:17 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by GhostTX@August 12, 2005, 12:35 PM

What I do have trouble with is when Exxon published it made $71 BILLION for the quarter! WTH?!?!

I also have trouble with the price per barrel going up and simulataneously, the price at the pump goes up. Um...the gas at the pump has already been paid for! They're not linked!!!
Leaders have nothing to do with it? I don't know what it is like in the US but in Canada the goverment puts a high tax percentage on gas so they get like 35-40%. Can't tell me they have nothing to do with the price of gas. It would not be a true government to step in where they can make easy money.
Old 8/12/05, 01:19 PM
GT Member

It pisses me off that at the slightest hint of any future supply issues the prices goes up immediately. But when the price per barrel drops, it takes a week to see the gas stations change the signs.
Old 8/12/05, 01:21 PM
Retired Tms Staff

A few weeks ago the price of gas went up 10 cents per litre. Oddly enough, that morning the price of oil went down.
Old 8/12/05, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by GhostTX@August 12, 2005, 12:35 PM

good for this mutual fund i bought 7 months ago--FSTEX! ---go, go, go
Old 8/12/05, 01:44 PM
GT Member

Deisel jsut hit :bang: #3.15 a gallon here, $100.00 to fill my truck, UFF-DA
Old 8/12/05, 01:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@August 12, 2005, 1:20 PM
Leaders have nothing to do with it? I don't know what it is like in the US but in Canada the goverment puts a high tax percentage on gas so they get like 35-40%. Can't tell me they have nothing to do with the price of gas. It would not be a true government to step in where they can make easy money.
I won't argue that point, we have a 37% tax (or thereabouts) where I'm at. My point was more toward the price per barrel, as most people think the gub'ment plays a roll there.

But even when I was paying $0.75/gallon, there still was a hefty tax.
Old 8/12/05, 01:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, be lucky we live in Atlanta, cheapest gas in the country!

Start buying stock in oil companies I guess....
Old 8/12/05, 01:55 PM

Yes, it's supply and demand, not our leaders, not directly - it is refining capacity and not the price of oil (primarily) that is causing the constriction in gasoline supply that is driving up prices on the open market. Now, one of our leaders, Sen. Wyden of Oregon, has been making this point for years with no one listening. The big refiners have been buying independent refineries and shutting them down, and not building many new ones. There have been mergers that have substantially concentrated the refining infrastructure in the hands of just a few companies, increasing their pricing power. Now, if you think your leaders shouldn't have allowed this to happen, through the anti-trust and FTC enforcement, then yes, the current gas prices are their fault. If you think the market should rule, regardless of these kind of market tactics, then suck it up and keep paying - the congress doesn't set your gas prices.
Old 8/12/05, 02:14 PM

Check out this thread: http://www.allcrafts.net/forums/topic.asp?...556&whichpage=2
Old 8/12/05, 02:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by gt6974a@August 12, 2005, 1:55 PM
Well, be lucky we live in Atlanta, cheapest gas in the country!

Not quite.........

We have some of the cheapest taxes, but the profit margins of local stations is much higher.

SC has more taxes tagged onto their gas but it's usually much cheaper. Also, NJ, TX, OH, IN, MN, and a few others are usually close to the same as us.

Gas in North Atlanta was $2.019 on July 26th
Yesterday it went to $2.499

48 cents in 17 days.
Old 8/12/05, 03:11 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Supply and demand huh.
Well I demand they supply us at a cheaper price.
We are the customer, and the customer is always right
Old 8/12/05, 03:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Here in Ohio, it says right on the pump that $0.87 of every $1.00 is for taxes
Old 8/12/05, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by GhostTX@August 12, 2005, 2:35 PM

This is the biggest gripe I always have. Seems like they change it hourly here in NY.

As I understand from what I read in the Times this morning, it's not that there is a shortage of the crude but of the ability of the refineries to not just produce gas but to have enough of a reserve buffer to negate the inflated price/demand.

Not that the price will likely come down as far as we remember it when all this crap happened about two years ago but possibly and hopefully less than what it will likely hike up to and become.

Supposedly there is no hope for a reserve and enough to meet demand till possibly 2008.

The refineries are producing 95% capability and are having issues doing even that as seen with several accidents and fires recently.

It doesn't look good for sure and the way it messes with the economy doesn't help situations either.

I have several cars, some guzzle fuel while others sip and go for miles. I don't think that the price going up to as much as $5. will affect me purchaisng my new 2006 GT though, and especially since my company pays for the gas

But as I read today, the potential for the price to go up to and past $70. a barrel is very near.

I just wish that we could harness some more of the Iragi oil and or build more refineries there to subsidize our lack of production meeting demand.

Quick Reply: NOW, they got my attention