Search this Thread

Old 3/18/12, 07:35 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by R3troGT
Most of the US Foreign imported oil comes from Canada

http://205.254.135.7/dnav/pet/pet_mo...im0_mbbl_m.htm

And the nickel for the Battery also comes from Canada
I didn't click your link. Don't trust it.

This is from US EIA for 2010:

Top Sources of Net Crude Oil and Petroleum Product Imports:
  • Canada (25%)
  • Saudi Arabia (12%)
  • Nigeria (11%)
  • Venezuela (10%)
  • Mexico (9%)
http://www.eia.gov/energy_in_brief/f...dependence.cfm

Thank you Canada - but that's still 33% from OPEC - of which Canada gladly matches their manipulated non-free market price.

As for nickel, that is hardly the most important rare earth for batteries.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...earth-elements

Then the dictator commandere in thief with backup by SS Holder just enacted another executive order over the citizenry (and the world).

The White House
Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release
March 16, 2012

Executive Order -- National Defense Resources Preparedness

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...s-preparedness
Old 3/18/12, 09:00 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
I wonder if that would hold up for the US as well which has a better standards for powerplant emissions?
We can figure it out if you can quantify "better," though, from what I've posted before, wheel-to-wells, coal-fired powerplants, even in the U.S., are dirty. The scrubbers used to reduce smoke stack emissions have helped a lot, but they reduce the efficiency of the powerplant, meaning it's a double-edge sword -- the more emissions reduced, the more coal, mined from the earth, trucked and railed to the powerplant, is burned.

Originally Posted by bob
would be interesting to see since the one of the reason greenies push the hybrid/full electric agenda so hard is due to the reduction on point of source emissions in cities and such?
What about the people who live down-wind from a coal-fired powerplant? Again, all that does is move the emission source from the automobile tailpipe to the powerplant smoke stack.

Originally Posted by bob
the flip side (this was something you showed me Marz) in 2017 or so all ICE powered vehicles will require an particulate emssions trap similar to what is required for diesels now.
I'll have to look, but I believe GDI engines will require particular filters in 2017; all remaining internal combustion engines, by 2025. I could be wrong, though.
Old 3/18/12, 09:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
That commercial makes me want to punch people in the taint.
That 350 lb eunuch squealing about his sushi is 100% pure taint. Swing away, you can't miss.

And for those who need a link, here it is.
Old 3/19/12, 07:00 AM
Cobra Member

I have a feeling this will have to be moved to the politics section of the forum
Old 3/19/12, 12:21 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This article about 'green energy' is an interesting read for those that think the Prius is 'so clean'. Excerpts:

Analysis: Pollution the big barrier to freer trade in rare earths
Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:26am EDT
BEIJING/SYDNEY (Reuters) - Tackling pollution, not freeing up trade, is regarded as the solution to a global shortage of rare earths, the metals that are the building blocks of the 21st century.
The United States, Europe and Japan have lodged a formal trade complaint against China, the world's monopoly supplier of rare earths, accusing it of choking exports of the metals, used in advanced technologies from computer screens to hybrid cars.
Industry experts say the West and Japan have a strong case to argue before the World Trade Organization (WTO), but the same experts and environmental groups argue that mere victory on a trade complaint will not be enough to break China's grip.
Instead, they say the key to ending China's monopoly is for other nations to help clean up one of mining's dirtiest industries - an industry the United States, once the world's largest supplier, allowed to wither many years ago.
China's rare earths refineries, which secured their monopoly by turning out metals at extremely low prices for more than a decade, have poisoned rivers with acid and piled up radioactive waste - an environmental cost that aroused little controversy in developed, consuming nations when metal prices were low.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82I08I20120319

Last edited by cdynaco; 3/19/12 at 12:22 PM.
Old 3/19/12, 03:37 PM

I guess it appeals to a demographic, just like all those testosterone-dripping truck commercials appeal to another demographic - it's a fairly tongue-in-cheek ad.

Personally I think diesels make a lot more long-term fuel sipper sense than complex hybrids -- I'd rather be driving a diesel than a hybrid when the odometer hits six digits and that big battery pack is becoming a big lump of inert fancy metal at that point whereas the diesel is almost broken in.
Old 3/19/12, 03:51 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb

Personally I think diesels make a lot more long-term fuel sipper sense than complex hybrids -- I'd rather be driving a diesel than a hybrid when the odometer hits six digits and that big battery pack is becoming a big lump of inert fancy metal at that point whereas the diesel is almost broken in.
Probably the only thing I've ever agreed with you on.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 3/19/12 at 03:52 PM.
Old 3/20/12, 08:45 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
I guess it appeals to a demographic, just like all those testosterone-dripping truck commercials appeal to another demographic - it's a fairly tongue-in-cheek ad.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-liter-235-mpg

Indeed, but in this case the Prius would be a muscle machine. IIRC the Volkswagon XL1 takes 35 seconds to go from 0-60 even with electric motor assist. On the other hand it is projected to get 235 mpg with its .8 liter diesel engine.
Old 3/20/12, 11:42 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...-liter-235-mpg

Indeed, but in this case the Prius would be a muscle machine. IIRC the Volkswagon XL1 takes 35 seconds to go from 0-60 even with electric motor assist. On the other hand it is projected to get 235 mpg with its .8 liter diesel engine.
If that's what cars are destined to become, I'm screwed. I hate public transportation, I hate the "green" movement for the hypocrisy, and I can't stand the thought of not driving something WORTH driving.