General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Neat Trick To Change Steering & Brake Fluids

Search this Thread

Old 12/8/06, 04:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neat Trick To Change Steering & Brake Fluids

I read this awhile back and thought I would share. Every couple of years you should replace your steering and brake fluids. Pick up a couple of meat baster and label them brake and steering. You can use them to remove the fluids from the reservoirs.
Old 12/8/06, 06:45 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great idea

I also read in Car Craft a neat little trick on how to use your air compressor and to build a $5 part to bleed the brakes yourself

get a flat plate of steel large enough to go over the opening to the master cylinder resivoir. Drill and tap a hole in the middle for an air fitting, and have the opposite side covered with a stick-on gasketing material. Fill the m/c up, strap that guy on, set the compressor at 30PSI and you can bleed the brakes yourself
Old 12/10/06, 05:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Galaxie
great idea

I also read in Car Craft a neat little trick on how to use your air compressor and to build a $5 part to bleed the brakes yourself

get a flat plate of steel large enough to go over the opening to the master cylinder resivoir. Drill and tap a hole in the middle for an air fitting, and have the opposite side covered with a stick-on gasketing material. Fill the m/c up, strap that guy on, set the compressor at 30PSI and you can bleed the brakes yourself
You have to be careful about oil and moisture from the air compressor flying into the brake fluid reservoir. You could use an inline filter and dryer though. I've always used a vacuum bleeder though.