General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

My Dads crazy exhaust Idea

Search this Thread

Old 1/26/11, 05:56 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
My Dads crazy exhaust Idea

I don't even think this is possible... but my dad thinks that putting turbos in the exhaust system to suck air out of the engine (to create more room in the intake for more air and speed up that process) would be not only be possible, but would enhance performance.

It sounds crazy to me. but I don't know enough about engines or exhaust to know if that would work or not, or how it even would work.

is it a good idea, or is he crazy?
Old 1/26/11, 06:09 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't think so. Exhaust out of the combustion chamber is regulated by a valve. When the valve is closed, nothing's coming out. IF it was possible (and I don't think it is), I think that any high suction on that valve causing air to be pulled from the chamber would lower pressure and mess up the air/fuel. I only have a middle school level motor education, but I don't see that as possible. Depending on how much suction was generated, it could damage the motor. Tell dad to stick with the Turbonator.

Last edited by 05GT-O.C.D.; 1/26/11 at 06:11 AM.
Old 1/26/11, 09:05 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by codeman94
I don't even think this is possible... but my dad thinks that putting turbos in the exhaust system to suck air out of the engine (to create more room in the intake for more air and speed up that process) would be not only be possible, but would enhance performance.

It sounds crazy to me. but I don't know enough about engines or exhaust to know if that would work or not, or how it even would work.

is it a good idea, or is he crazy?
Unfortunatly that wouldn't work.

to create a vacum on the turbo you'd have to have it spin up from some source, usually you use the exhaust to spin it but if you are using exhaust on the compressor side then you'd have to power it through belts or somthing. But even if you did this like he said above, the way a 4 stroke engine works it wouldn't make much difference since the piston clears it and valve closes before intake stroke.

If you are using turbos you'd be better off using them the correct way and have the exhaust spin the turbos to compress the intake air, thats how you get more air in the engine to burn.
Old 1/26/11, 01:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
hah. thanks. didnt think so.