General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Is Chevy preparing a Z28 BOSS fighter?

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/11, 09:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Is Chevy preparing a Z28 BOSS fighter?

So according to this:
http://jalopnik.com/5732881/camaro-z...es-in-352-days

there was a dealer meeting announcing the arrival of a supercharged Camaro which everyone assumes will be called the Z28, but apparently they didn't call it the Z28, but rather the HP (for high performance) edition at the meeting.

What if Chevy is saving the Z28 name for something more like the Boss? A road going track oriented model like it originally was??? Like the Boss, it was originally a virtually race ready model with a "smaller" 302 designed with Trans Am racing in mind.

Personally, I think it makes a lot of sense, and would love to see some competition for the Boss. The Camaro is already a great handling car for it's size. With a little less weight, and a smaller engine, it could be a serious track car.
Old 1/15/11, 03:55 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Moving to 'General Vehicle' section, but will leave a link for a day . . .
Old 1/15/11, 06:55 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well a lot of people on the Camaro boards are upset of the use of the z28 moniker on a S/C vehicle to combat the GT500 that will obviously weigh more than the current SS putting it into Challenger territory.

Not that it would be slow, they'd be throwing a lot of horsepower at that weight...
...but other people would rather see the Z28 be the scalpal as opposed to a sludgehammer.

It would be hard for them to do that with the current gen vehicle without sending the price into the strasophere, or it would come in (like current comparisons) 200ish lbs more than then competing mustang. Unless of course its a stripper model.

So they are either looking into this, or not using the Z28 moniker at all until the next platform change (which is rumored to be farther off than anyone thinks).
Ford wouldn't use the BOSS name unless it harkened back to what the BOSS was before. Has chevy done the same?
Old 1/15/11, 08:24 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Boomer
Well a lot of people on the Camaro boards are upset of the use of the z28 moniker on a S/C vehicle to combat the GT500 that will obviously weigh more than the current SS putting it into Challenger territory.

Not that it would be slow, they'd be throwing a lot of horsepower at that weight...
...but other people would rather see the Z28 be the scalpal as opposed to a sludgehammer.

It would be hard for them to do that with the current gen vehicle without sending the price into the strasophere, or it would come in (like current comparisons) 200ish lbs more than then competing mustang. Unless of course its a stripper model.

So they are either looking into this, or not using the Z28 moniker at all until the next platform change (which is rumored to be farther off than anyone thinks).
Ford wouldn't use the BOSS name unless it harkened back to what the BOSS was before. Has chevy done the same?
The original Z28 was a car that had to have 5 liter or less displacement for the track (SCCA Trans-AM Series) like the Boss 302.
I really have a soft spot in my heart for the original Z28.
I felt it was a very well executed car for it's time.
One of the reasons I like the current S197 Mustang is it's small block high horsepower that likened itself to this type of car.
After 1970 the rules changed and larger displacements were allowed (5.7L), but never the big displacement Camaro seems to need now.
No Mustang engine currently exceeds 5.7L (supercharger or not).
All Camaro V8 engines exceed 5.7L.
Personally, I think this is kind of sad and shows the lack of direction from GMs leadership that lead to us bailing them out.
Old 1/15/11, 10:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everything I've read about the supercharged Camaro is that they would be targeting the GT500. I wouldn't think they would target the Boss with a FI model. Plus as was mentioned above, the extra weight with the SC, intercooler and HE would take it over 4k lbs and would have no chance against a Boss on a road course.
Old 1/15/11, 10:43 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

i still like how they think the Z28 will be may 50K...i bet its going to push 60K easily
Old 1/15/11, 12:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Z28 does not live up to its heritage like the BOSS does--the new Z28 is supposed to be an HP monster, not a track star.
Old 1/15/11, 02:34 PM
Cobra Member

does GM have any other legendary Camaro names they could revive? if they bring the Z28 down to compete with the Boss then i think they'd have to bring back a nameplate or make an all new one to compete with the GT500. all i can think of is the Yenko Camaro. to be honest i kinda like the sound of a resurrected Yenko Camaro vs GT500. although it'd be nothing like how the original was since if i remember right those were Camaro's that were just SS's then shipped over to Yenko then got the stripes, wheels and of course the big block 427. could be wrong on that but yeah.
Old 1/15/11, 06:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
Everything I've read about the supercharged Camaro is that they would be targeting the GT500. I wouldn't think they would target the Boss with a FI model. Plus as was mentioned above, the extra weight with the SC, intercooler and HE would take it over 4k lbs and would have no chance against a Boss on a road course.
I was thinking that they would have both a SCed GT500 like bruiser called something other than the Z28, and also make the Z28 which would be the stripped down track ready model. The problem is, i just can't really think of what they would use as the motor in a Z28. It would need something smaller, lighter and higher revving than the current LS3.
Old 1/15/11, 07:04 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
If the Z-28 is going to cost that much.............I would take a Vette
Old 1/15/11, 07:50 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Jay
does GM have any other legendary Camaro names they could revive? if they bring the Z28 down to compete with the Boss then i think they'd have to bring back a nameplate or make an all new one to compete with the GT500. all i can think of is the Yenko Camaro. to be honest i kinda like the sound of a resurrected Yenko Camaro vs GT500. although it'd be nothing like how the original was since if i remember right those were Camaro's that were just SS's then shipped over to Yenko then got the stripes, wheels and of course the big block 427. could be wrong on that but yeah.
Well they did have ZL1 which was the all aluminum 427 used in the 69 Camaro. It would have been perfect for a GT500 fighter except... well they sorta trashed the name by gluing it on to the side of an S-10 or Colorado pickup.

GM doesn't have a whole lot to go with really when it comes to historic names. It all boils down to SS, RS, LT, Z/28. Berlinetta, and IROC. ZL1 and of those the RS was an appearence package much the same as it is now.
Old 1/15/11, 08:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bob
Well they did have ZL1 which was the all aluminum 427 used in the 69 Camaro. It would have been perfect for a GT500 fighter except... well they sorta trashed the name by gluing it on to the side of an S-10 or Colorado pickup.

GM doesn't have a whole lot to go with really when it comes to historic names. It all boils down to SS, RS, LT, Z/28. Berlinetta, and IROC. ZL1 and of those the RS was an appearence package much the same as it is now.
ah wow how could i forget IROC. my mom had an IROC V6 Camaro that we still have the keys to i think.
Old 1/15/11, 08:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
If the Z-28 is going to cost that much.............I would take a Vette
That's the reason GM s-canned the Camaro in the 90's. Vette performance at a lower price.
Old 1/15/11, 09:21 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Jay
GM does not own the Yenko name.
They would have to pay money to use it.
I believe it is owned by General Marketing Capital Incorporated (GMCI).
Old 1/15/11, 10:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

If they marketed the next supercharged camaro as a z28 it wouldnt be anything like people would expect it to be. They need to keep woth the heritage, just like ford has with the BOSS. If anything gm should bring the IROC moniker back. I actually dont know much about the name it self but as another name i dont see much better of an option.
Old 1/15/11, 10:36 PM

i know they have been testing it with the 2011 gt500 so i would think it would be safe to assume that it will best a 2011 gt500. Also i am sure they are compensating for an upgraded version of the gt500 at least thats what i would do. Im assuming it will also be faster than the ctsv considering weight savings. All in all i think it will be pretty good competition for ford. Now having said that im thinking ford might deliver a knock out punch in 2013 and as far as handling goes i think fords got that one in the bag as well
Old 1/15/11, 10:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by ace22
i know they have been testing it with the 2011 gt500 so i would think it would be safe to assume that it will best a 2011 gt500. Also i am sure they are compensating for an upgraded version of the gt500 at least thats what i would do. Im assuming it will also be faster than the ctsv considering weight savings. All in all i think it will be pretty good competition for ford. Now having said that im thinking ford might deliver a knock out punch in 2013 and as far as handling goes i think fords got that one in the bag as well
Well what else might ford bring to the table? They brought back the 5.0, the shelby gt350, the BOSS, and all this since the 2010 calendar year. What could be next? A new fastback or mach 1 model?
Old 1/15/11, 10:54 PM

dosnt have to be a new model, but i think well be seeing some cool upgrades in the next few years. chevy might be trying to compensate but i dont think they will be able to do enough
Old 1/15/11, 11:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Hawaii 5.0
... If anything gm should bring the IROC moniker back. I actually dont know much about the name it self but as another name i dont see much better of an option.
Most likely we'll not see another IROC Camaro...the name IROC stood for International Race of Champions, and that race is no longer run. Also from what I understood GM had to pay to use the name - and although I don't know who it is that owns it I'd wager a guess they aren't willing to invest in a name they used 20 years ago that few probably even remember. The Camaro is so different from what I remember they ought to just come up with a completely new name to use. Even though it looks kinda like a first gen Camaro it's just way too big, and just doesn't appeal to me.
Old 1/15/11, 11:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jay_wx

Most likely we'll not see another IROC Camaro...the name IROC stood for International Race of Champions, and that race is no longer run. Also from what I understood GM had to pay to use the name - and although I don't know who it is that owns it I'd wager a guess they aren't willing to invest in a name they used 20 years ago that few probably even remember. The Camaro is so different from what I remember they ought to just come up with a completely new name to use. Even though it looks kinda like a first gen Camaro it's just way too big, and just doesn't appeal to me.
Ok, now that i understand the name i change my mind. But yea they should at leats eother stick to heritage or come up with a new name. Are there any other names for street camaros that people actually rember?

Quick Reply: Is Chevy preparing a Z28 BOSS fighter?