General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

MT Car of the Year - NOT the Fusion

Search this Thread

Old 11/24/05 | 02:25 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by scottie1113@November 24, 2005, 2:04 AM
NAV--i don't get it on any car. A road map,Thomas Brothers, or a call to my destination for directions ahs always worked for me. No way am I ever going shell out a dime for one of these systems.
Luddites.
Old 11/24/05 | 04:21 PM
Cobra Member

Luddites. Not in all areas, but this is an option I simply don't need. I know where the grocery store is. Ane yeah, you guessed it. I don't have a cell phone either.
Old 11/24/05 | 07:47 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by scottie1113@November 24, 2005, 4:24 PM
Luddites. Not in all areas, but this is an option I simply don't need. I know where the grocery store is. Ane yeah, you guessed it. I don't have a cell phone either.
Like I said, Luddite.
Old 11/25/05 | 11:29 PM
Post *****

Originally posted by scottie1113@November 24, 2005, 5:24 PM
you remind me of my history teacher lol.

(for the record, thats a good thing )
Old 11/26/05 | 12:04 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks. Oh, I also write with pencils and a fountain pen.
Old 11/26/05 | 12:02 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@November 23, 2005, 4:35 AM
Ummmmm, that's because Honda builds a better car and equips it with features people want. The Civic is an econobox, yet you can order NAV on it this year. Try ordering NAV on a Fusion; I think not.

I keep saying this till I'm blue in the face: If Ford wants the awards and the kudos and the sales, it's got to STOP PLAYING THE JAPANESE GAME, AND START PLAYING ITS OWN GAME. Stop being followers and start being leaders. REDEFINE the market segment, don't copy it! The Fusion tries to be just another Accord/Camry follower, and while it does an admirable job, it's not likely to lure Honda or Toyota buyers away unless they've been dissatisfied with their purchases, which is unlikely.

What Ford needs to do is give us cars more like their European offerings, or carve an exciting new niche into this market segment with something like an Iosis.

They need to start playing to win...not just playing to catch up.

Innovate, don't copy.

I agree completely, Ford, GM and others won't survive unless they stop copying and start innovating.
Old 11/28/05 | 05:08 AM
Closet American

The Mustang is a prime example of this sort of innovation, even though it ironically looked to the past to reinvigorate its OWN market segment (but hey, whatever works - it's heritage the Japanese don't have!). In so doing, it captured lightening in a bottle once again, just like in 1964.

Ford needs to use this approach in EVERY MARKET SEGMENT. It already has the full size pickup segment pretty much nailed. Now it needs to work on passenger sedans, and frankly, the 500 and Fusion - while decent cars - are not class leaders or innovators or passion-builders like the Mustang.

THEY NEED TO BE.

Ford should go back to the drawing board and have its designers and engineers forget what the Japanese are doing (though be mindful of it) and REDEFINE the passenger car segment, focusing a lot of their resources on it.

I think the trick would be to come out with a slightly better looking and better equipped version of the 500 (next year's new engine and grille treatment should help - hope they up the feature content too) and come up with something extraordinary to slot into the Fusion's segment. I kinda like the Fusion, but I think something much more exciting and innovative is needed here to KILL the Japanese competition. Something like a "productionable" Iosis.

Sadly, the product cycles of the 500 and Fusion will be with us for quite a while, so it's too late to innovate there. But they could pump up both of those platforms and make them sexier and more appealing content-wise.

The Mustang PROVES people like sexy cars. Sometimes I think the corporate execs can't see the forest for the trees anymore. Sometimes I think they should hire a 10 year old who knows what "cool" cars look like and put him in charge of the design department.

If Ford could build the GT, they can certainly build two appealing sedans that aren't "import copies."