General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Motor Trend Best Driver's Car

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/09, 12:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor Trend Best Driver's Car

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...car/index.html

Shelby won 5th place and was well liked by the editors. Guess who finished last. I'll give you a hint:
"Claustrophobic cockpit and tight footwell conspire against driver confidence," notes Markus. Loh says, "Shifter is large and awkward, though the transmission is not bad, and pedal placement is not meant for heel-and-toe maneuvers." St. Antoine adds, "The steering wheel is huge -- and ugly. The gauges and shapes seem overwrought, as if Chevy had to prove it could deliver a 'designer' cabin. This is stuff to wow fellow adolescents at the drive-in, not drivers."
Low, as well. "It's a beautiful car to look at but to drive it? Understeer -- frustrating understeer," declares Pobst. "It's almost like before stability control when they'd make cars understeer a lot just so they'd be safe. As a driver, I find that frustrating. When I got done with my hot laps, I didn't want to drive it anymore."
Old 9/17/09, 12:27 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quote:
"Claustrophobic cockpit and tight footwell conspire against driver confidence," notes Markus. Loh says, "Shifter is large and awkward, though the transmission is not bad, and pedal placement is not meant for heel-and-toe maneuvers." St. Antoine adds, "The steering wheel is huge -- and ugly. The gauges and shapes seem overwrought, as if Chevy had to prove it could deliver a 'designer' cabin. This is stuff to wow fellow adolescents at the drive-in, not drivers."
Quote:
Low, as well. "It's a beautiful car to look at but to drive it? Understeer -- frustrating understeer," declares Pobst. "It's almost like before stability control when they'd make cars understeer a lot just so they'd be safe. As a driver, I find that frustrating. When I got done with my hot laps, I didn't want to drive it anymore."
OUCH!!!!!
Old 9/17/09, 01:09 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Don't worry guys, that's an isolated incident in the first few builds...
Old 9/17/09, 01:44 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

So, Doc......... your sayin the more I drive it the less I will want to not drive it???

Old 9/17/09, 11:01 PM
FR500 Member

Too bad the trans didn't take a dump during the eval. It would have been most fitting. "Best driver's car - if you could drive it (not in the shop for one thing or another)."
Old 9/22/09, 03:38 PM
Bullitt Member

That was a good article, I read it today. I have to say it was interesting to see the Miata place so well, although I happen to agree.

Certainly not the most powerful, but a wonderfully balanced car that is a flat out blast to drive.
Old 9/22/09, 03:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

The Miata kills me on the Auto-x course everytime. Decent car; zoom, zoom, zoom.
Old 9/22/09, 04:00 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

I have a friend who supercharged his Miata and left it at 5-6psi. He would go around the road course we have local quick enough before boost, but with all that power he had no problems sliding that back end around if he wasn't gentle enough on the throttle. It was a fun little car to ride in!
Old 9/23/09, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by exgto
That was a good article, I read it today. I have to say it was interesting to see the Miata place so well, although I happen to agree.

Certainly not the most powerful, but a wonderfully balanced car that is a flat out blast to drive.
As it has been said: it's not how fast a car goes, but how a car goes fast that matters most. Often that gets lost be both manufacturers and tuners in the quest for heroic numbers to brag about, ending up with cars that really aren't that enjoyable to actually drive.