General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Mighty Toyota . . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/05, 06:49 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Wanted to share some recent stories regarding the mighty Toyota Juggernaut. Now Toyota certainly does many, many things right but the are not infallible . . .

from autoextremist.com, thecarconnection, other sources . .

Are Priuses Stalling Out?

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has not launched a formal investigation yet, but it is compiling complaints from Toyota Prius owners that the cars can stall or shut down while on the road. The agency has logged thirteen reports in which 2004 Priuses have shut down at highway or slower driving speeds; a TCC staffer's personal car experienced the problem late last year. Toyota tells the Wall Street Journal that the issue affects 2004 and some 2005 models, and can be fixed by a computer-control update. The company says it notified owners of this update in a service bulletin to owners of 23,900 Priuses. No injuries or deaths have been linked to the problem.

AND . . . . . . . . . .

Toyota. From the "Just When We Thought They Were Invincible" File comes news that Toyota - otherwise known as the "Sultans of Swat" and those "Can't Miss Kids" - is recalling 880,000 SUVs and trucks worldwide due to problems with the front suspension. The problem stems from a defective ball joint, which can make the vehicles difficult to steer. The recall includes 2001-2004 model year Tacoma trucks, 2001-2002 4Runners, and 2002-2004 models of the Sequoia and Tundra. It is one of the largest recalls in the company's history, and it's further proof that no automaker is immune from the bad publicity a recall can generate. Recalls are difficult for any automaker, but for Toyota, which is rapidly approaching "holier than thou" status, it's more than that - it's flat-out embarrassing. And as if that weren't enough, Toyota is looking into complaints from owners of 13 Prius hybrids who say that the cars unexpectedly lost power while traveling between 45 and 60 mph. Oops.

from autoextremist.com . .

Good read . . . .

Don't be misled by the Green Fog of Toyota's intentions. It's all part of The Plan.

Detroit. Toyota didn't become the most successful automaker in the world by being ploddingly conservative all of the time. After all, they took a flyer on the youth market with Scion and to a large degree succeeded nicely, even though the uncool, older demographic bought more than their fair share of the cars. And now, after slowly building up their hybrid capability for the U.S. market, they're jumping in with both feet in a big way. Toyota announced yesterday that the company's first North American gas-electric hybrid production will take place at its Georgetown, Ky., plant - when production of a Camry hybrid begins in late 2006.

Toyota says they will be able to build approximately 48,000 Camry hybrid vehicles per year at the plant - which is its largest manufacturing facility in North America - requiring an additional $10 million investment in the plant. Toyota already builds the Avalon, Camry and Solara at the plant, which has the capacity to build 500,000 vehicles annually.

The hybrid version of the Camry will join Toyota's burgeoning hybrid lineup, which includes the Prius and the Lexus RX 400h luxury hybrid SUV that reached dealerships last month. In June, the Toyota Highlander Hybrid mid-size SUV will hit dealerships, and the 2007 Lexus GS 450h hybrid luxury sedan is slated to be available in the spring of 2006. The Camry hybrid will follow six to eight months later.

Toyota definitely has a plan with its hybrid strategy, but then again, they always have a plan. They didn't get to this point by falling into it, that's for sure. They sweat the details, they're obsessed with delivering a quality product, they listen to their customers, and because of it they've built a war chest that dwarfs that of every other company in the automotive world. Add to this the fact that they have probably the finest group of dealers working on their behalf - and you have a dominant, winning formula.

Jim Press, Toyota's chief in the U.S. said yesterday that "The continued success of Prius has demonstrated consumers' growing demand for hybrid vehicles. Hybrid production in the U.S. will allow us to be even more responsive to the desires of our customers."

As I've said recently, that's a nice, glowing, "we listen to our customers" PR-flavored stance to take, but the reality is much more complex than that. Toyota in fact has two fundamental reasons behind its strategic hybrid plan.

First of all, beyond embracing the political statement crowd in Hollywood and the intermittent environmental crowd (you know, the people who are passionate environmental advocates when it's convenient to their lifestyle), Toyota is forging its benevolent, "aw, shucks, we're just trying to do the right thing for the planet" persona - via its hybrids - for the benefit of the legislators in Congress.

Even though (according to statistics provided by Toyota) by 2006 the Japanese giant will have the annual capacity to build 1.66 million cars and trucks, 1.44 million engines and 600,000 automatic transmissions in North America. And its direct investment in this country is nearly $16.6 billion, with annual purchasing of parts, materials, goods and services from North American suppliers totaling nearly $25 billion, Toyota executives in Japan still want to be sure that all of their bases are covered.

As a matter of fact, there's much handwringing going on back at Toyota headquarters about which way the political winds are blowing here in the U.S. They're obsessed with worry that somehow the idea of protectionism will rear its ugly head again in certain quarters of Congress and that they will bear the brunt of the backlash. Given Toyota's now inexorable link to local economies across the U.S., however, I don't see that as ever being a problem again.

The second and most important part of Toyota's strategic hybrid plan is that they're exploiting a marketing opportunity, pure and simple. They can couch it in all the Mr. Green Jeans blather they care to generate, but at the end of the day, they're glossing over the true, long-term costs of hybrid ownership to consumers in order to gain more market share in the U.S. Toyota is, in fact, only selectively listening to their customers, which is an interesting detour from their usual mantra for success. Consumers have been brainwashed (thanks to a masterful PR snow job by Toyota) to think that hybrids are somehow the "Magic Bullet" and The Answer and that by owning and driving one they will not only save money, but they will do their share for the environment too. We know this to be true from our own Autoextremist Research study about hybrids. In fact, some consumers told us that hybrids were fuel-cell vehicles, the misinformation about the technology is so prevalent.

Toyota can afford to take a big-time flyer at the hybrid market - simply because they have more resources available to them than any other car company. But while doing so, Toyota is deftly side-stepping the real, serious issues about hybrid ownership - the questionable real-world mileage, the long-term out-of-warranty costs due to battery replacement and other component costs and the absolute necessity for an aftermarket warranty on used hybrids, not to mention the added initial price premium - in order to be able to continue to burnish its Jolly Green Giant image into the hearts and minds of American consumers.

And Toyota would like all of this to continue indefinitely. They'd like to see their competitors appear to be out to lunch on hybrids, so that they can come off as the only socially conscious car company in the U.S. market. They'd also like to see their competitors bend over backward to "catch up" on hybrids, too, just as they get set to open their brand-new truck plant south of San Antonio, Tex. So, while their competitors flounder in Toyota's hybrid backwash, Toyota can finally mount an all-out attack on the last bastion of Detroit's crumbling empire - the full-size pickup truck market. Something they've coveted for years.

Toyota's phenomenal success allows them to blanket the market and account for any and every contingency/opportunity - and they certainly deserve the accolades for their savvy performance. But don't be misled by the Green Fog of Toyota's intentions. They're out to conquer the world any way they can, and they will adapt to and exploit any segment they feel they can succeed in.

This year, it's hybrids. Late next year, when their new truck plant comes on line, it will be the truck market.

It's all part of The Plan.

Thanks for listening, see you next Wednesday.
Old 5/18/05, 07:33 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice find. Just like all new vehicle launches, there are bound to be problems.
Old 5/18/05, 12:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
If I remember correctly, the Camry has had 9 safety recalls in the last 5 years. That being said, I think the Camry is a fine if somewhat uninspiring car. But it isn't the paragon the automotive qualilty that some people think it is. As a former owner of an Acura, I can tell you Honda's aren't either. My Mazda6, with it's Ford-sourced V6, has been the most trouble-free car I have ever owned...period.
Old 5/18/05, 12:38 PM
Post *****

Originally posted by TomServo92@May 18, 2005, 2:38 PM
If I remember correctly, the Camry has had 9 safety recalls in the last 5 years. That being said, I think the Camry is a fine if somewhat uninspiring car. But it isn't the paragon the automotive qualilty that some people think it is. As a former owner of an Acura, I can tell you Honda's aren't either. My Mazda6, with it's Ford-sourced V6, has been the most trouble car I have ever owned...period.
Mark-

Do you mean 'trouble-free' car? :scratch:
Old 5/18/05, 12:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by Evil_Capri@May 18, 2005, 12:41 PM
Mark-

Do you mean 'trouble-free' car? :scratch:
Yes. darn fingers won't type what I mean! :bang:

The error has been corrected.
Old 5/18/05, 12:53 PM
Post *****

I thought that is what you meant. I love the 6's . . I wanted the Fiancee to get a 6 Wagon/5-speed so bad . . . oh well . . looks like I may just wait for the SVT Fusion for myself as a daily driver.
Old 5/18/05, 01:50 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have they said what engine the SVT Fusion will get yet? I would imagine it will be a s/c V6.
Old 5/18/05, 02:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TomServo92@May 18, 2005, 12:38 PM
If I remember correctly, the Camry has had 9 safety recalls in the last 5 years. That being said, I think the Camry is a fine if somewhat uninspiring car. But it isn't the paragon the automotive qualilty that some people think it is. As a former owner of an Acura, I can tell you Honda's aren't either. My Mazda6, with it's Ford-sourced V6, has been the most trouble-free car I have ever owned...period.

I bought the 2nd Mazda 6s delivered to my local dealer back in '03. I enjoyed the car for the first 7,000 miles at which time, the clutch began acting quite strange. There was so much chatter with that clutch on cool mornings, the dash would actually shake when you first started out. The dealer changed the clutch without question because they could feel the problem immediately. This took over a week. Once back, the car was fine again...till about 6,000 miles later when the chatter began to once again begin.

I loved the car but I'm not messing with clutch issues on a fWD car. The invoice from the dealer based on a non-warranty job was like $3,999 or about a full 20% of the purchase price of the vehicle. As you can imagine, I no longer own the 6. I wish you luck with yours and hope you have a better experience than I did.
Old 5/18/05, 02:12 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While on the topic of Toyota, this site is very interesting:
Toyota Users Unite for Resolution
Old 5/18/05, 03:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by 97svtgoin05gt@May 18, 2005, 2:04 PM
I bought the 2nd Mazda 6s delivered to my local dealer back in '03. I enjoyed the car for the first 7,000 miles at which time, the clutch began acting quite strange. There was so much chatter with that clutch on cool mornings, the dash would actually shake when you first started out. The dealer changed the clutch without question because they could feel the problem immediately. This took over a week. Once back, the car was fine again...till about 6,000 miles later when the chatter began to once again begin.

I loved the car but I'm not messing with clutch issues on a fWD car. The invoice from the dealer based on a non-warranty job was like $3,999 or about a full 20% of the purchase price of the vehicle. As you can imagine, I no longer own the 6. I wish you luck with yours and hope you have a better experience than I did.
Mine has nearly 23K on it and it hasn't seen the dealership again since the day I bought it. All I ever had to do is put gas in it and change the oil. I remember you mentioning the clutch chatter before. There were some problems with the 2003 MY but I think most of those issues were ironed out in the 2004 MY.
Old 5/19/05, 02:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

I love hearing dirt on toyota . so many people think they are "perfect" cars. Heck the Camry failed the side crash test, the Corolla failed the side crash test and the Tacoma failed the rollover test. You know what they say what goes up must come DOWN!!!
Old 5/19/05, 02:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by TomServo92@May 18, 2005, 2:38 PM

I whole heartedly agree with you Tom. I have never had any problems with Fords and have never been injured in an accident in one. There are extremely safe vehicles. I was looking at CR and they said that they were safer overall than toyota.

I was in two accidents in Fords. One in my mothers 86 Taurus (really bad accident, but we had no injuries. The police officer even commented on how well the car held up). The other was with my 87 GT. I hit a curb real hard but once again the car held me in tight and I was fine.
Old 6/4/05, 02:20 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@May 19, 2005, 3:51 PM
I love hearing dirt on toyota . so many people think they are "perfect" cars. Heck the Camry failed the side crash test, the Corolla failed the side crash test and the Tacoma failed the rollover test. You know what they say what goes up must come DOWN!!!
ha ha, at least Andy isnt saddened by the news
Old 6/4/05, 02:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

I will never be saddened by hearing about toyotas faults. Too many people have rose colored glasses on!