General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Maybe Switching to a "Grown Up" Car

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/14, 05:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
So far everyone is suggesting big 4 door v8's. What about a focus st??? 4 doors and super fun to drive. It doesn't have to have 300+ hp to be fun. And the focus is pretty grown up. When the RSX dies (my family car other than my wife's car) I plan to get a fiesta st.
Old 2/16/14, 05:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Old Mustang Guy
Someday I will get a grown up car, but I'm only 61 so it will be awhile.
Awesome!!!
Old 2/16/14, 06:46 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Mustang Guy
Someday I will get a grown up car, but I'm only 61 so it will be awhile.
HA HAAAAAA
Great answer!
Old 2/16/14, 06:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well its good to hear all you alls opinion, but yea other than a charger, g8, or ss sedan; and of course other expensive makes there isnt a comparison or substitute.I m not that old (26), but the wife and I have been discussing having kids. The other day though she told me (after going somewhere in my car) and she said, "Every time I get into ur car it reminds me of you and when we use to date. After that she said, just wait and get urself the new one.
Old 2/16/14, 07:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by gruiz_06
Well its good to hear all you alls opinion, but yea other than a charger, g8, or ss sedan; and of course other expensive makes there isnt a comparison or substitute.I m not that old (26), but the wife and I have been discussing having kids. The other day though she told me (after going somewhere in my car) and she said, "Every time I get into ur car it reminds me of you and when we use to date. After that she said, just wait and get urself the new one.
Our baby is due in 3-4 weeks. I have an 05 Escape with 115k miles, my 03 GT with 105k miles and my girlfriend has an 07 Camry with 160k miles. I'm 26 (27 in September) and she's 24 (25 in June). I would not consider the Fiesta/Focus ST as "grownup" cars lol. I'd look at small crossovers too. We're looking at the CX-5 for her. Possibly new Escape but we didn't like it as much. It's just hard to justify when we can get a Charger R/T for the same money, with a V8, RWD and the same equipment. We just don't drive that much that we'd want to settle for something underpowered. My two cars got most of their miles before I owned them.
Old 2/16/14, 07:17 PM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Our baby is due in 3-4 weeks. I have an 05 Escape with 115k miles, my 03 GT with 105k miles and my girlfriend has an 07 Camry with 160k miles. I'm 26 (27 in September) and she's 24 (25 in June). I would not consider the Fiesta/Focus ST as "grownup" cars lol. I'd look at small crossovers too. We're looking at the CX-5 for her. Possibly new Escape but we didn't like it as much. It's just hard to justify when we can get a Charger R/T for the same money, with a V8, RWD and the same equipment. We just don't drive that much that we'd want to settle for something underpowered. My two cars got most of their miles before I owned them.
My gf is 21 with an isuzu rodeo with 140k on the clock. Im 20 (21 in august) with my mustang at 40600. Were thinking about trading mine in for the charger and wed go halves on the monthly payments (170 each a month) and trading hers in for a decent car thatd wed use to kinda shuffle shorter trips in. Maybe an older accord or something as long as its pretty reliable were not that picky for that choice. Were movin out in march though so money is gonna be tight until she gets back to work. We both collectively bring in about 3k a month so it will be manageable then
Old 2/16/14, 07:55 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Well I get Ford, I get GM but I don't get Chrysler. If you are referring to the big 3 American Car companies, its my understanding Chrysler is no longer an American automaker car company. Its owned by Fiat and Fiat is not an American automaket so the big 3 is now only the big 2. Please correct me if I'm mistaken. Fiat is a European automaker and they now own Chrysler and Dodge. Therefore the Chrysler and Dodge are no longer and American automaker. There an import car now.
So just say right out front that it's a loaded question like I asked. Geez man. Ford, GM, and Chrysler have always been referred to as the Big 3. Technically they don't build chryslers in a Fiat plant so your point is still no point. Before this, Daimler owned them. It really doesn't matter what overseas company technically owns controlling interest. Most imports we buy are now built in the US so maybe they're all domestics.
Old 2/16/14, 08:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We just got my wife a 2014 Rogue Limited so that ll take the future kids around for the next 3/4 yrs.
Old 2/16/14, 08:33 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
So just say right out front that it's a loaded question like I asked. Geez man. Ford, GM, and Chrysler have always been referred to as the Big 3. Technically they don't build chryslers in a Fiat plant so your point is still no point. Before this, Daimler owned them. It really doesn't matter what overseas company technically owns controlling interest. Most imports we buy are now built in the US so maybe they're all domestics.
Well that's true, tons of imports are built right here in the United States so in a way those Toyotas and Nissan's are domestics. Unfortunately, US Auto makers are down to the big 2 (GM & Ford).
Old 2/16/14, 10:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm older than you, but (so far) I've successfully avoided grown-up cars all my life!
Old 2/17/14, 08:19 AM
Cobra Member

Don't drive that much!? You guys have 380k miles in 10 yrs lol.

But focus/fiesta st I would still see as a 20 something car. Like I said I'd rock one all day with my kids in the back.

Last edited by typesredline; 2/17/14 at 08:23 AM.
Old 2/17/14, 08:22 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I'd agree to that logic. Hyundais are domestics too. Designed and built here
Old 2/17/14, 08:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Honda not only builds cars here, they actually export more cars FROM the US than they import from Japan TO the US.
Old 2/17/14, 08:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by tukatz
Honda not only builds cars here, they actually export more cars FROM the US than they import from Japan TO the US.
Well heck, there an American Car then. Not an import.
Old 2/17/14, 09:10 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Our Accord sedan has a VIN that starts with a 1 (made in USA) the same as our Mustang. We and our two sons all have Accord sedans and they were all made in Ohio.
Old 2/17/14, 09:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
Don't drive that much!? You guys have 380k miles in 10 yrs lol. But focus/fiesta st I would still see as a 20 something car. Like I said I'd rock one all day with my kids in the back.
Like I said, all the miles were on my two cars before I peen them. I got the Escape in 2011 with 72k and the GT last May with 95k. Neither of us drives much anymore. Her parents always borrow her car too. When we get a new car, that's not happening anymore
Old 2/17/14, 09:21 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Our Accord sedan has a VIN that starts with a 1 (made in USA) the same as our Mustang. We and our two sons all have Accord sedans and they were all made in Ohio.
Holy crap. All this time I thought Nissans, Toyota's , Honda's, Kia's, etc were import foreign cars. The things you learn on here. That's why I love this site.
Old 2/17/14, 09:22 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Like I said, all the miles were on my two cars before I peen them. I got the Escape in 2011 with 72k and the GT last May with 95k. Neither of us drives much anymore. Her parents always borrow her car too. When we get a new car, that's not happening anymore
Howd your gt run when you got it? Seems like a pretty decent amount if miles
Old 2/17/14, 10:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by CCTking
Howd your gt run when you got it? Seems like a pretty decent amount if miles
It runs great. It's had a tune since like 27k miles, JLT intake and manifold-back exhaust. It came with SLP X-pipe and LM IIs, but I changed everything to Bassani.
Old 2/17/14, 11:35 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline
I'd agree to that logic. Hyundais are domestics too. Designed and built here
Holy crap. All this time I thought Nissans, Toyota's , Honda's, Kia's, etc were import foreign cars. The things you learn on here. That's why I love this site.
This might shed some more light upon this subject (not to detract from the thread topic, but thought I'd share) . .

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/fo...-money-go.html

Simple explanation (but with greater detail in link above . . .)
For example, the index gives an American-made car no credit in the profit margin category if the carmaker is based overseas. With Ford Motor Co. and General Motors, DuBois argues, the majority of the company's shareholders are in the U.S., "and the profits go to the central coffers and are paid out" to mostly U.S. shareholders. With a foreign carmaker such as Hyundai, Porsche or Toyota, the profits primarily go back to shareholders in their home countries, he says.

If a carmaker assembles its vehicles in the U.S., however, the index grants it full marks in the "labor" category, as well as in the category of "inventory, capital and other expenses." Those scores reflect the wages the carmaker paid to American workers, the money it reinvested in U.S. manufacturing facilities and taxes it paid here, DuBois says.

So that's DuBois' formula. If you're looking for more detail, here's a deeper dive into where the money goes when a car buyer takes home an American-made car produced by a foreign carmaker.

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 2/17/14 at 11:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Maybe Switching to a "Grown Up" Car