General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Lotus Esprit Reborn

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/09, 12:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lotus Esprit Reborn

Lotus’s reborn Esprit gets V10 power

Two-seater targets R8 with stunning look and an engine shared with the imminent Lexus LF-A

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...v10_power.html

Text: Jack Rix / Photos: www.beyond-form.com

05th June 2009

A legendary Lotus is returning – it’s the new Esprit! The dust has only just settled on the stunning Evora, but already the Norfolk firm is setting its sights even higher. And our exclusive pictures show how the reborn supercar will take shape.
The new mid-engined model revives a badge that was used on the original Lotus flagship between 1976 and 2004. And with a choice of six, eight and 10-cylinder powerplants, it will take the fight to the Ferrari F430 and Lamborghini Gallardo, as well as Audi’s storming R8 V10.
Lotus’s special relationship with Toyota has been well documented – the Japanese manufacturer already supplies engines for the Elise, Exige and 2-Eleven, plus the Evora. Our sources have revealed that the partnership will step up a gear for the Esprit. Toyota’s luxury arm, Lexus, will be called on to provide a pair of high-power engines.
The entry-level Esprit will be equipped with a tuned version of the Evora’s 3.5-litre V6, producing around 300bhp, while a mid-range model gets the 414bhp 5.0-litre V8 from the Lexus IS F. But taking the new Lotus into the big league will be the earth-shattering 550bhp 4.8-litre V10 from the upcoming LF-A supercar.
Mated to a six-speed semi-automatic paddleshift transmission, this unit should provide the Esprit with performance to match some of the fastest cars on the planet.
A 0-60mph sprint time of less than four seconds is expected, and judging by pre-production testing of the LF-A (see Issue 1,066), the car is likely to hit a top speed in excess of 200mph.
Underpinning the model will be a wider and longer version of the Evora’s rear-wheel-drive platform. This should ensure the handling is worthy of the Esprit name. The wedge-like profile clearly takes cues from Giorgetto Giugiaro’s 1976 design – a car made famous by 1977’s James Bond film, The Spy Who Loved Me.
But a combination of creases and curves is used to provide the modern-day Esprit with a muscular and aggressive stance on the road. Inside, the newcomer will build on the style of the Evora’s leather-clad cabin – so it’s expected to be the most luxurious interior Lotus has ever designed, a must if the car is to tempt customers away from more established supercar manufacturers.
Prices are likely to start from around £75,000 for the entry-level car, and rise to £150,000 for the V10. We’ll have to wait until at least 2012 for the Esprit’s official debut, though. Lotus won’t embark on final development until the Evora is making a consistent profit. But by adding the new car to the line-up, total production at the firm’s Hethel plant could reach 4,000-5,000 models annually.

Last edited by TampaBear67; 9/17/09 at 12:47 PM.
Old 9/17/09, 12:47 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Interesting, but not digging the elise styling cues in the front.
Old 9/17/09, 12:53 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the front end is a bit iffy. i dont think its that bad, but it does have a pinched feel. the rest of the car looks pretty orgasmic though
Old 9/17/09, 01:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've ALWAYS had a soft-spot for Lotus cars and always wanted to own an Esprit of some sort (my favorites were always the late 80's turbo 4 cars, before they enlarged them. I LOVE those little cars.

About this...AWESOME!!! I can't wait to see real pics of it!!!
Old 9/17/09, 02:16 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
I've ALWAYS had a soft-spot for Lotus cars and always wanted to own an Esprit of some sort (my favorites were always the late 80's turbo 4 cars, before they enlarged them. I LOVE those little cars.

About this...AWESOME!!! I can't wait to see real pics of it!!!
Same here. The Lotus Espirit Turbo will always be 'the one that got away' to me.

The closest I got was a '74 Jensen-Healey/Lotus that I had for 15 yrs (after Jensen went under). Jensen built the car, Don Healey took care of the handling (yes, it was SRA ), and the Lotus 907 was the power plant. It screamed! For 1974, the 907 DOHC 4V ran so clean it didn't need any pollution junk.

The JH was a production vehicle that served as the 'mule' for making the 907 street ready for the US market. From that came the 2.2L turbo for the Espirit.

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/17/09 at 02:18 PM.
Old 9/17/09, 05:07 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
yeah teh front looks a bit pinched to me..I'd prefer something a but more cheese wedge shaped but hey I'm all for a new Esprit.
I realize this is more than likely a chop but i like it...has that slight nod to the older Esprits

Last edited by burningman; 9/17/09 at 05:09 PM.
Old 9/17/09, 05:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't stop looking at it.
Old 9/17/09, 05:37 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by burningman
yeah teh front looks a bit pinched to me..I'd prefer something a but more cheese wedge shaped but hey I'm all for a new Esprit.
I realize this is more than likely a chop but i like it...has that slight nod to the older Esprits
Yeah I like that front better.

"The entry-level Esprit will be equipped with a tuned version of the Evora’s 3.5-litre V6, producing around 300bhp, while a mid-range model gets the 414bhp 5.0-litre V8 from the Lexus IS F. But taking the new Lotus into the big league will be the earth-shattering 550bhp 4.8-litre V10 from the upcoming LF-A supercar."

The V10 will have some pretty small holes. Must be turbo to reach that HP.

Come on Ford, bump that HP!

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/17/09 at 06:22 PM.
Old 9/17/09, 10:42 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do believe that Toyota's V10 in the LF-A is naturally aspirated. IIRC, it has 550hp but it's not much of a torque monster. With Lotus' penchant for light weight, it doesn't need to be.
The problem I have with the front end in that image is it looks like the front wheels could stand to be pushed forward a bit more. As it is, it makes the nose look too long.