General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

If you drive over the speed limit please read

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/08, 06:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Kinda makes you wonder why there aren't more tracks out there, or why more state and local law enforcement agencies don't promote track and strip days. The very reason you own a car like that is either A) you really like to collect cars or B) you think the car is bad a$$ or C) you have a very large itch to go fast. More than likely, it's more than one of those.

So why not more track days? Seems nicer than lots of people, kids especially (I got almost all my tickets when I was 16 and 17) killing or injuring themselves and others.
Old 1/14/08, 06:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to drive over the speed limit around here.
Old 1/15/08, 10:19 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Mackitraz
Kinda makes you wonder why there aren't more tracks out there, or why more state and local law enforcement agencies don't promote track and strip days. The very reason you own a car like that is either A) you really like to collect cars or B) you think the car is bad a$$ or C) you have a very large itch to go fast. More than likely, it's more than one of those.

So why not more track days? Seems nicer than lots of people, kids especially (I got almost all my tickets when I was 16 and 17) killing or injuring themselves and others.
Cost for the former and probably liability for the later.

Tracks generally dont build the kind of revenue cities are looking for (not sure about taxes as well), take up alot of space, and they make alot of noise and attract the sort of ne'er-do-wells that like to continue the action outside the track (well at least it seems that way to some people) so cities are loathe to allow race tracks around.

Then there is american culture in particular, for some reason we are told we have a love affair with the automobile, but most people consider them noting more than a conveyance at best and a nuisance at worst (along with the sorts of things that go with cars - like race tracks).
Old 1/24/08, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by korinwoodo
I think a better rule than "don't speed" is "go with the flow of traffic (within reason.)" If someone is doing the speed limit (or slower) but is creating a hazard on the road and impeding the flow, it can cause more danger in that it bunches up cars that are trying to go faster, and in many cases aggrevates their drivers to drive wrecklessly to get around said vehicle. JMHO.
This is somewhat what happened to me just yesterday. Speeding isn't the only reason accidents happen. The reason I was in one was because some guy was on his cell phone, and was going 15 mph under the limit and full out stopping in front of me while approaching a green light five car lengths away (I was about half a car length behind him, but had no room/time to stop/move out of the way). I rear ended him, but honestly I can only wonder how teenagers got the title of being immature drivers when there are countless more "mature adults" who are not able, yet self assured that it is less of a distraction to them to talk on their phones than a teenager talking on his or her's.

Cell phones kill. Hang them up if you're going to drive. I honestly think that is right up there with drinking and driving. No reason to take your chances, even for "experienced" drivers.

Sorry for my rant... probably should have left it in my own thread.

I found this movie awesome though. Seeing someone come full circle, and trying to give their experience to others to keep them safe. It takes a big man to learn from his mistakes, and use that to teach others.
Old 2/1/08, 01:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Drive responsibly. Know when and WHERE to open it up. Teach your kids to respect horsepower, regardless its a Geo Metro or a Jaguar XJ220, you can die in any car if driven carelessly
Old 2/1/08, 01:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea i agree with that, if you just HAVE TO go fast on the public highways.
-Do it when its dry
-NO one is around ( 3 am is good)
- Not a residential area
-make sure the surface of the road is good.

you really shouldnt do it, but if your going to:do what i do and take those steps before ya speed.
Old 2/2/08, 07:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sad story, yet unfortunately no matter how many people view that video many are still going to walk away with the "it won't happen to me..." mantra.

Glad to see he tried to make a positive result from a negative experience.
Old 2/2/08, 09:14 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by boduke0220
Yea i agree with that, if you just HAVE TO go fast on the public highways.
-Do it when its dry
-NO one is around ( 3 am is good)
- Not a residential area
-make sure the surface of the road is good.
you really shouldnt do it, but if your going to:do what i do and take those steps before ya speed.
Around here 3am is bad.
The moose and deer can't be seen until they are right in front of you.
I suggest daylight anyway. You can see much better.
My buddy used to take his Lambo out just after daylight during the early summer (more like 4-5am).
Old 2/2/08, 11:13 AM

I was going to say the same. Driving near dawn would be far better than in the darkness of night. Keep alert and just drive intelligently and this won't happen to you.
Old 2/2/08, 12:57 PM
Cobra Member

I saw this video about8 months ago, from what I remember this kid used to live near me
Old 2/2/08, 05:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by karman
Around here 3am is bad.
The moose and deer can't be seen until they are right in front of you.
I suggest daylight anyway. You can see much better.
My buddy used to take his Lambo out just after daylight during the early summer (more like 4-5am).
yea i looked back over that and thought "well theres a **** load of deer here ..oh well better than humans"
Old 2/2/08, 07:45 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Dont forget maintaining your equipment. Hauling *** in a clapped out ride is a good way to reduce your safety margin by a whole lot.
Old 2/7/08, 02:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
Ever since I got $210 speeding ticket 3 years ago, I never drive more than 5 mph over speed limit.
I am ticket free since 1994 cause I like my money to well to part with it foolishly. 5 over is a good limit too. Its worked for me for years
Old 2/7/08, 03:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definatly a moving video,Im gonna sit my 17 year old kid down to watch this, Not sure if it will do anything , but at least im trying to drive into him how important it is for him to obey the speed limits and laws.. That kid is lucky that he lived and that he didnt kill someone else. Amen
Old 2/8/08, 03:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't speed or drive recklessly because my car is too valuable to me to lose.

Sometimes people pester me about driving like a grandma. Then I explain to them that driving "fast" on the street isn't even half of what driving fast on a track is. Street driving is so f-ing lame compared to a road course that it's not even worth the gasoline to bother driving "fast" and recklessly.
Old 2/10/08, 10:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

I just couldn't live with myself if I killed an innocent person because of being selfish and ignorant.

Cars, property, road... all can be replaced. Human beings can't.
Old 2/10/08, 05:14 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by clockworks
I don't speed or drive recklessly because my car is too valuable to me to lose.
That is me.
Old 2/10/08, 07:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

keep in mind you can do the speed limit and still get pretty jacked up or killed just the same as if your jackassing around....

the odds just go up when you break the law
Old 2/10/08, 07:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember being in a Kawasaki dealership when the Ninja 600's first came out. A guy brought in his 16 year old son (it was his birthday) to buy him the bike. The owner refused to sell it to him. He told the man to let his son get alittle experience riding first and then come back in a year. THe man said, "if you don't want to sell it to me that's fine, I'll go down the street and buy it from another dealer". He still didn't sell him the bike.

I'm not beating up on young people here but some of these cars are crazy fast for people who don't have much experience behind the wheel or riding a motorcycle.
Old 2/10/08, 08:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

you couldnt be more correct

Quick Reply: If you drive over the speed limit please read