General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

If you drive over the speed limit please read

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/08, 03:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you drive over the speed limit please read

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkyRvW1cBB4

need i say more? it deffinatly made me slow down.
Old 1/13/08, 03:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
wow that really makes you think for sure...
Old 1/13/08, 03:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I was headed out to dinner, anyone want to deliver. Nice clip, a shame but wild he is able to walk and all. Slow down people.
Old 1/13/08, 04:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
seems like he paid the price for being a *******. the girl towards the end was cute.
Old 1/13/08, 04:43 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever since I got $210 speeding ticket 3 years ago, I never drive more than 5 mph over speed limit.
Old 1/13/08, 05:10 PM
Closet American

People really have to be careful with this stuff; it can all happen in an instant. Personally, I'm much more afraid of hitting a pedestrian than cracking up in my own car, but that's just me.

What I've learned over the years:

- Never exceed the speed limit in the rain
- Never speed when there are other cars around (unless its a one-on-one race in a relatively controlled environment)
- Never speed on roads which you aren't familiar with; or where there are blind crests; or where an intersection is approaching; or where there is a turn you can't see around from a long way back; or where you don't feel you have total mastery of the physical surroundings.
-Never speed if the road conditions seem dodgy for ANY reason - as in poor or unknown pavement quality

I will admit that I do sometimes open 'er up on an open highway where there is only sparse & scattered traffic and I can see WELL ahead of me.

It really is a question of knowing when it's safe to give 'er a bit, and when it's not. Frankly, most times it's not.
Old 1/13/08, 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Definately a case of driver error with speed being a factor. When I picked up my Mustang after my accident, the body shop mananger told me the story of the totalled 07 GT-500 out front. 17 year old boy wrecked it driving in wrecklessly. So his mother went in to buy another GT-500 White with Red stripes. The dealer said that is would cost her $67k, since only a few were made. She said I want a white with red stripes to store and THAT (pointing across the showroom) Blue with white stripes for her son to drive. She went on to say that by storing the GT-500 for 25 years, she could sell it for enough money to pay for the wrecked one and the two new ones. Too much money, not enough brains to keep her son out of a GT-500, but smart enough to financially pay for it all. Go figure.
Old 1/13/08, 08:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

People who buy 16 and 17 year old kids powerful new cars are idiots, plain and simple. I don't care how grown up or mature your kid seems, once they get that power under their foot, they're going to show it off and it all too often ends in tragedy.

Likes the previous post states. Too much money and not enough brains.
Old 1/13/08, 08:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

sad story, seen it before though...
Old 1/13/08, 11:20 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Hmmmm.... wonder what careless and fast was? Sounds about as ambigous as safe and prudent.

I'd be interested in seeing what created and lead up to the accident? Was it bad equipment, was it bad weather, was it bad judgement, was it a combination of all the above? I suppose bad judgement is obvious (though subjective).

This at least to me underscores the importance of truly learning how to drive a car and understanding and knowing the limits of your car rather than pointing a finger at a high rate of speed as the primary factor.
Old 1/14/08, 07:43 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
3 sides to every story...

and I've seen even worse accidents by people NOT speeding as well as speeding...

Everyone speeds weather its 1 mile or more over...
Old 1/14/08, 09:01 AM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by The Reverend
Definately a case of driver error with speed being a factor. When I picked up my Mustang after my accident, the body shop mananger told me the story of the totalled 07 GT-500 out front. 17 year old boy wrecked it driving in wrecklessly. So his mother went in to buy another GT-500 White with Red stripes. The dealer said that is would cost her $67k, since only a few were made. She said I want a white with red stripes to store and THAT (pointing across the showroom) Blue with white stripes for her son to drive. She went on to say that by storing the GT-500 for 25 years, she could sell it for enough money to pay for the wrecked one and the two new ones. Too much money, not enough brains to keep her son out of a GT-500, but smart enough to financially pay for it all. Go figure.
Irresponsible parent doesn't even begin to describe this one....she has only herself to blame in the end if something bad happens.
Old 1/14/08, 01:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
Hmmmm.... wonder what careless and fast was? Sounds about as ambigous as safe and prudent.

I'd be interested in seeing what created and lead up to the accident? Was it bad equipment, was it bad weather, was it bad judgement, was it a combination of all the above? I suppose bad judgement is obvious (though subjective).

This at least to me underscores the importance of truly learning how to drive a car and understanding and knowing the limits of your car rather than pointing a finger at a high rate of speed as the primary factor.
I watched that video, and it said the kid was driving 110 on a wet road!
Old 1/14/08, 03:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
WTF with all the evangelizim over speeding? Because a young kid in too much car was being to careless above his ability to drive due to a lack of general responsibility? Sucks to be him but **** happens, stupid is as stupid does.
Old 1/14/08, 03:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i agree...

speed kills, but more often its in the hands of unqualified people.
too much car for that kid, he made some bad decisions and he paid.

it really is sad, but you wont see me giving my kids the opportunity to ruin their lives that way when they are that age....
Old 1/14/08, 03:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
at least he didn't hit anyone else. I've sped pretty much the entire time I have driven(of course with responsibility towards others). 500,000 miles and have NEVER scratched a car or motorcycle. Only times i've been in accidents is being rear ended twice sitting at red lights. Both times by women in minivans.
Old 1/14/08, 04:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Driving is like everything else in life. There is a comfort level. Person A can work 12hr days and Person B can work 8hr days. Driver A can drive 120km/h on highway and Driver B thinks they are hitting lightspeed as soon as they hit 100km/h ( I'm Canadian if you havn't caught on). It also depends on skill level. If a kid gets his license you don't give them a corvette. They will kill themselfs. Common Sense. But it is amazing to see the lack of common sense in some people. Like the GT 500 example above.

That video above was interesting. You wanna feel bad for the kid, but you don't. For the skid marks and damage to that car I saw, I'm guessing he had some serious speed. He was being an idiot and he is paying for it. His parents are also paying for it. That must be one hell of a hospital bill (Thank god I live in Canada). But his parents also let him drive an SRT-4. thats a pretty fast car and I bet they knew it. In there defense though, if a kid gets a car that is somewhat modern, it is going to fast enough to create a serious accident.

I know in Manitoba, when you get your license its not technically your full license. You have what is known as a "Graduated License." Meaning that you have to follow some rules for the first 3 years. So basically until your 19 roughly. rules like: no passengers after midnight till 6 a.m and way lower booze tollerance ( I've had friends who have gotten DUI's for one beer. thats how low it is). I know if you get a speeding ticket and your 10km over the speed limit. you license is gone for at LEAST a year. Its more most of the time. I love these rules because I see so many kids getting there licenses and losing like a week later because they want to show off. I think the rules are fair. Statistically youth are the ones creating the accidents. Most booze related.

What does America have for rules like that? Is there a system of rules for drivers who have just recieved there license?
Old 1/14/08, 05:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I think a better rule than "don't speed" is "go with the flow of traffic (within reason.)" If someone is doing the speed limit (or slower) but is creating a hazard on the road and impeding the flow, it can cause more danger in that it bunches up cars that are trying to go faster, and in many cases aggrevates their drivers to drive wrecklessly to get around said vehicle. JMHO.
Old 1/14/08, 05:23 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Gattguy47
Driving is like everything else in life. There is a comfort level. Person A can work 12hr days and Person B can work 8hr days. Driver A can drive 120km/h on highway and Driver B thinks they are hitting lightspeed as soon as they hit 100km/h ( I'm Canadian if you havn't caught on). It also depends on skill level. If a kid gets his license you don't give them a corvette. They will kill themselfs. Common Sense. But it is amazing to see the lack of common sense in some people. Like the GT 500 example above.

That video above was interesting. You wanna feel bad for the kid, but you don't. For the skid marks and damage to that car I saw, I'm guessing he had some serious speed. He was being an idiot and he is paying for it. His parents are also paying for it. That must be one hell of a hospital bill (Thank god I live in Canada). But his parents also let him drive an SRT-4. thats a pretty fast car and I bet they knew it. In there defense though, if a kid gets a car that is somewhat modern, it is going to fast enough to create a serious accident.

I know in Manitoba, when you get your license its not technically your full license. You have what is known as a "Graduated License." Meaning that you have to follow some rules for the first 3 years. So basically until your 19 roughly. rules like: no passengers after midnight till 6 a.m and way lower booze tollerance ( I've had friends who have gotten DUI's for one beer. thats how low it is). I know if you get a speeding ticket and your 10km over the speed limit. you license is gone for at LEAST a year. Its more most of the time. I love these rules because I see so many kids getting there licenses and losing like a week later because they want to show off. I think the rules are fair. Statistically youth are the ones creating the accidents. Most booze related.

What does America have for rules like that? Is there a system of rules for drivers who have just recieved there license?
You receive what is known as a junior license, where you have to be home by 11 pm risk getting caught. Can't go out before 5 am. These rules have exceptions though, which allow you to drive within this set time period if a parent is in the car or you have a note from an employer. I'm pretty sure they have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol also, since you really shouldn't be drinking under the age of 21 anyway. You receive your senior license when you turn 18, unless you take drivers ed, then you can apply for it one year after you get your juniors license.

I never really understood street racing. I'm 17, and it seems that there's too much risk involved for a couple minutes of fun. Take it to the track or don't drive at all...
Old 1/14/08, 06:13 PM
Closet American

As the old saying goes: "Your mileage may very."

Quick Reply: If you drive over the speed limit please read